Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took the Insight up to 90 MPH for a while today and only got 25 MPG while doing it. Sport Mode + Econ On.

How lame. :D

I do see a desire for having a rear sway bar installed, though. But it can be compensated for by driving intelligently and planning your actions in advance.

Still, it did not feel unsafe driving through a twisty portion of 77 as long as you did not abruptly try to change lanes at speed. Letting the road do the lane changes for you it was mostly a non-issue.

I am surprised however how responsive the car was at high speeds. I guess I can see why the Insight hands the Prius its rear end at highway travel.

edit: I did have the wife with me, we had to be somewhere effectively yesterday for an appointment and running late. She pointed out the engine noise. I told her ignore it, Honda's love revolutions, it's designed to do that. lol

·
Registered
466 Posts
25 MPG seem pretty good at that speed :) Top Gear famously flogged a Prius at top speed around a racetrack and got 14.3 MPG!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys,

I bought Honda Insight #2 recently and noticed it does only 49mpg under 37mph is it good or worse. I guess it has to be more than that

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
The slower you go up to 35mph the better the mpg you get. I thnik a magazine tested in the 60s or 70s at that speed. I can easily beat that doing 70mph, so its not the best.

Never tried going 90, but doing 80 with a dish washer sticking out the hatch I managed 36mpg. I ripped through WV one day for a car show and my tacoma got 16mpg. I passed everything but a civilian use polica car.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I took the Insight up to 90 MPH for a while today and only got 25 MPG while doing it. Sport Mode + Econ On.

How lame. :D
I've heard they're going to increase the speed limit in some parts of Texas to 85. And you know how some people are, thinking that they can always drive 5 miles over... You need to do that more often and find out what the best mode is for getting good gas mileage is at that speed :) At least 30!

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Come on Krista, you are in Falls Church right? Nothing like the drivers from NOVA. Depends on traffic, some cases I jsut keep with the flow vs set the cruse to 55.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Come on Krista, you are in Falls Church right? Nothing like the drivers from NOVA. Depends on traffic, some cases I jsut keep with the flow vs set the cruse to 55.
Traffic is so bad around here that not going with the flow, no matter what speed it is, can be dangerous for your health :) I just wish the flow were closer to 55 than 20.

·
Registered
46 Posts
hmm weird on the 5 going to so cal i was going 80 i was easily get 30's almost 40

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I could had been going up an incline. 77 through WV is nothing but hills, so, there's a good chance. I definitely was not on flat ground, it doesn't exist here except in short bursts.

I was joking about the horrible part BTW. 25MPG @ 90 is what some cars wish they got at 55, not complaining about it.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Ive ripped through WVA to Chaptsmansville(SP?) for several car shows and its up hill both ways with a straight segment, then either a hard left or right turn at a 90 degree angle. Make sure you secure everything in your car including your coffee cup as you will pull some Gs on the bends in the road.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
My Insight seems to perpetually stay at 38/40 MPG per fill up.

But the wife drives the majority of the time, and almost all of it is highway / interstate. I noticed she never drives under 75, with a good portion of it 80.

I suppose that's why. It's really weird driving through towns and the MPG actually increases.

Oh yea, had our first encounter with an I2 in the wild in Charleston this past weekend, too. It was a white I2, and it was hauling *** and cut in front of us. Go figure. We did pass it up later and it trailed behind us in thick traffic for a while sort of checking our I2 out I felt. It eventually became bored and darted around traffic and cut in front of somebody else getting to an on-ramp.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
MPG is finally starting to improve, took around 7,500 miles.

We're nearing 9k on ours and the MPG didn't pick up until the last 1k miles.

If I take local roads (55-60 MPH) and stay off the interstate I can keep it over 50 MPG.

Of course, gradually learning how to manipulate the car helps and taking advantage of certain road conditions.

If I'm on the interstate I'm destined to get low 40's. Which, still ain't bad at 80 MPH. ;)

Wife calls me grandpa when I'm driving. Which is insulting because I used to purposely get her as close to guard rails as possible going around corners just to hear her squeal.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Got mine over 50 for the first time yesterday. I mostly do in city driving with an average mph of 18, and was getting 36-39. Took 66 out towards the Shenandoah national park over the weekend and on that nice straight away I got up to 53.2. On the way back after getting gas and being on 66 a bit I got up to 53.7 :D Of course, it didn't last too long. The mountains dropped it down to the low 40s but I still got mid-40s for an average before filling up again on the way home (just because gas was cheaper). I'm loving it on trips... in the city, well... it's a lot better than I had. I broke 1k on the odometer... around 1100-1200 now. I think it's breaking in :)

Unfortunately with the thermometer spiking 95 today I had to take it out of Econ mode to get the AC cool enough. I'm sure that's going to seriously affect things... unfortunately I think it's going to be a hot summer.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I had 5 people in the car this weekend in Charlottesville, VA on the highway. On portions of I-64, with maybe a 3% grade, the car would barely accelerate past 70 mph! And that was going balls out!

It was pretty pathetic! But a good laugh, too!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had 5 people in the car this weekend in Charlottesville, VA on the highway. On portions of I-64, with maybe a 3% grade, the car would barely accelerate past 70 mph! And that was going balls out!

It was pretty pathetic! But a good laugh, too!
Did you take it out of econ mode and perhaps shift into sport?
What is the maximum weight we're supposed to be carrying...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Nope, never took it out of econ mode and D, but even so, the car was at redline and could barely make up to 70 mph! Downhill was a piece of cake, though! :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Nope, never took it out of econ mode and D, but even so, the car was at redline and could barely make up to 70 mph! Downhill was a piece of cake, though! :D
Heh, I think I'd have taken it out of econ so it had a bit more oomph. I did that a few times on the mountain roads with just 2 people in the car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts