Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m trying to figure out which two sockets of the four to my IMA battery, thru the wiring yoke of my Maxxvolt charger are the main leads to the battery. This so I can wire my discharge load thru the yoke. The four are in a female nine pin socket and numbered 3, 1, 4, and 7. Will my volt meter only read voltage across the main leads or will it show voltage across to the fan leads as well. Max volts was reluctant to tell me for warranty and shock risk reasons. Though I saw the plug solution as less dangerous than going back to the open battery and splicing wires. Does anyone out there know which of the sockets are the right ones?

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
If you can't figure it out via voltmeter by measuring pack voltage across two of the pins, then there's a diode in the line, and you can't discharge through them.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have 175 volts across two of the sockets. So I’m going for it and making a discharge hookup to plug into them.

·
Super Moderator
7,197 Posts
I'm trying to visualize how this would work. If you have found the battery plus and minus pins. Then there is a possibility of that you can make it work. Did you notice a diode in the charging harness when you installed the it?

If there is no diode, then you will have to find the matching Tyco plug if you are going to make it safe and foolproof. Please don't be tinkering with improvised ways to tap the female plug (as I think I understand the setup). That would be very dangerous.

·
Premium Member
9,878 Posts
What is a "it"?
I know a thing and a blob, but not a IT.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Jime, thanks for checking on me. So here’s what I did. I checked across sockets in the plug with my volt meter. It read 175+- volts but only across two sockets. And only with the probes in one orientation, polarity I assume. I checked the I’d of the sockets by finding a numbered drill from my index that fit in one of the uncharged sockets. Looked to be the diameter of bare 18 gauge stranded wire. Found a double ended two lead plug set with identical plugs on each end made up with 18 gauge stranded wire at Napa auto supply. Cut it in half, stripped two of the leads the length of the pins in the male end of the charger plug. Carefully soldered them and then checked the fit in the uncharged sockets, nice fit, good contact, not too tight and when plugged in no metal showing between the insulation and the plug body. In addition the insulation is slightly countersunk in the socket before it contacts the metal of the socket contact. When the two leads are inserted in side by side sockets, no connecting metal is exposed and the insulation of the two separate wires is not in contact. The soldered pins are tight enough that they only come out when intentionally pulled on. Too many words here but I wanted to express that I feel the set up is quite safe unless I do something really stupid or careless. I’m no electrical engineer but my dad was a genius double E and taught me to be a good technician. I have worked a lot with wiring dyna kits, heath kits, stereo, house wiring etc. not much DC but I’m aware of its increased need for respect and caution. That said the live end of the plug is hard to short because the metal contacts of the sockets are countersunk.
Poking them with a single pin cannot short two of them. And the pins when inserted are gripped by the insulation of the wire they are made from. solder has wicked well up into the insulation as well, making them rigid. From there wiring through the rest of the lightbulb discharger is pretty straight forward.
I feel very safe handling it. Unless I have missed something it should work. I’ll read the Maxxvolt literature about a diode and comment on that. I just read the literature and there’s no mention of the diode. I think there might be a fuse in one of the lines to the IMA battery.

·
Super Moderator
4,806 Posts
Sounds like you have it under control. Since that plug seems to be always hot, it might be a good idea to turn off the IMA when you're plugging it in to prevent arcing. I fried a Molex connector one time when I didn't do this.

Sam

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
As noted in the thread above re eBay grid charger
I no sooner finished building a discharger to compliment my charger than my insight threw its first IMA code.
Hours of reading threads later, and blending the opinions of half a dozen experienced senior members on the subject, I find the rope of my knowledge still somewhat frayed.
Never the less one has to jump in the water in order to swim.
So I invite the August audience to watch and comment.
I just started the discharge.
I plan to run thru the complete three cycle charge, discharge routine with a final charge at the end. I pulled fuse no 16 to reset the computers involved. Did not bother to check things after that before hooking up the charger. Did look at the one visible ground connection for the 12 v battery. Seems tight, solid, un corroded. No way to see as some have said, wether the core of the cable is corroded, other than the solid feel of things there. So I guess that’s the best I can do for now, with my level of ability.
I have to laugh, I confess at how I’m reacting to this. It just a car. But to listen to me you would think
I just got some very bad news from my doctor.
Several took this to mean I seriously had a medical problem so an edit is in order.
I’m just poking fun at all the whining I’m doing about this.
Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Boojum sorry you got me wrong. I said “ you would think I got some bad news from my doctor.” Referring to how much I was whining about my IMA battery throwing a code.

·
Premium Member
9,878 Posts
So what was the "bed" news? (Permalink 12)
"You have to sleep by yourself"?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It was a sarcastic remark poking fun at all my whining about my IMA battery throwing a code, recaling and basically showing me that, yes, my car and battery are indeed 14 years old. As has been said, one might have to be an enthusiast to own a G1 insight.
So here I am enthusiastically charging and discharging my car for the next week.
My wife says she wants to come back as an insight. Sweet gal to say the least. So for now accompanied in bed.

·
Premium Member
9,878 Posts
Great, during climax I hope you don't start screaming "INSIGHT, INSIGHT".
(Damn good meds today)
Willie

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I think maybe I need some damn good meds.
My effort at discharging has for now gone down in flames.
After watching closely for hours. I took a time out to spend time with friends.
Returning to the car I found the discharge lights out.
Voltage 0. A blown fuse in the harness line? Probably not.
The battery run down? Jime thinks maybe.
So on his suggestion I will probably grid charge and try again.
This time I think I might skip the high wattage bulbs and go with 2 - 15 watt bulbs. I have a life and can’t check the car constantly. I need to come up with a plan I can manage.
Someone did say that during discharge the voltage can drop like a rock and one can miss it while just visiting the loo. I’m not sure how to get around that.
Also given my inexperience I don’t know if I have fried the battery or if this is just a minor setback that I should shrug off.

·
Premium Member
9,878 Posts
I don't think you fried it. Maybe let it set for 24 hours and then take some cell readings?

Willie

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just checked, I got 152 volts, the lights light. It’s like nothing happened.
I’m pulling the lid to see if there is a device in the Maxxvolt harness under there that interrupts the circuit temporarily. I kinda lost here.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts