Honda Insight Forum banner

"Hot-wiring" a non-cranking non-starting Gen 1 MT?

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  mudder 
#1 ·
[I have a thread currently posted under "Troubleshooting and Problems" (check it out)-- I'll not repeat that long frustrating story here about my non-starting 2000 MT.]

Can a Gen 1 MT be "hot-wired" to bypass the ignition switch and/or other trouble spots as a "last resort"? If so, how?

I used to hot-wire my old 50s/60s era Fords by running a wire from the battery to the coil, and then jump the starter solenoid, and drive away. I'd do that only if the key was missing or when I was trying to get it going quickly, temporarily bypassing the actual trouble spots. To be clear, I never hot-wired anything that wasn't mine (I ain't no car thief!).

I have my Insight's key, so if I could hot-wire it to start it, I could turn the key on to unlock the steering wheel and be able to drive it for the time being. Of course I still want to figure out and fix the real problem, whatever that is. Old/dazed/confused amateur here... :unsure: TY anyone for your help.

#2 ·
That would only work if the ignition switch is the problem.

Sam

#3 ·
Are you just trying to move it? I've bump started / push started an MT insight that had dead LV and HV batteries. The LV battery was too weak to run the starter, and too weak to close HV contactors (meaning it couldn't turn on the high voltage system). But the LV battery was able to supply spark to the gasoline engine for a couple blocks worth of driving. Since the car does not have an alternator, a running gasoline engine alone will not charge the 12v battery. The HV system must be active (contactors closed) in order to charge the LV battery. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but that was my observation in that situation (helping get a stranded insight off the street).

#5 ·
TY. I don't "need" to move it as it sits in the weeds on my property. I haven't bump-started anything since the 1970s! I've moved it around in the weeds using a tow strap, chain, and a come-a-long.

I'd like to be able to drive it at least temporarily around town so if nothing else, I could get it to a local shop (IF I can find someone in this small town who would be willing to try to fix it). Most guys here in KS don't even know what it is. When the car was repainted by a previous owner, they did not put the "H" emblem on the hood and there is no name in the back either. "What Is that thing? A Prius?" 😄

My 12v battery is good. To make sure I understand, I'll ask this: So the IMA system switch in the back (I left the covers removed since I installed my new grid charger) must be turned "ON" for the 12v battery to be charged while the engine runs, right? And leaving the switch OFF will deplete the 12v battery since there is no alternator, right? The IMA battery is DEAD (grid charger did no good), so that is all academic at this point since I can't get the engine to crank/start.

#4 ·
Push start was my first reaction as well. Never done it to an Insight though.

I don't know whether the Insight's unusual gearing will make a difference, but for other vehicles, I put them in second, keep the clutch depressed, have someone push to get rolling at a decent clip, turn the key and let the clutch out slowly. If you're getting spark, should work.

#7 · (Edited)
Normally the car will only fail over to the backup starter if you hold the key in the "3" position for 5(?) seconds.

As long as the battery is charged and the key is detected by the immobilizer, you could try turning the key to the "2" position and then applying 12v directly to the signal line on the alternator, and see if it fires up. The starter body is a constant ground, and there's a line going to it straight from the battery that provides constant 12v, and a third smaller line (with a spade connector) that, when 12v is applied, will activate it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.