Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inquired about state HOV/Hybrid laws because I travel all over the northeast but am having trouble finding the laws, or a website that has all 50 state laws. All the posts seemed to be about California's new law. Anyone know about: MA,NJ,NY,NH,VT,MD,PA,etc?
Thanks!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Legal in VA, but some are saying hybrids are clogging up the HOV lanes and are trying to make it illegal. IMO, there should be a cut-off where a hybrid should get at least a certain MPG(say over 50) to use the HOV lanes. Otherwise they could build a Hummer :twisted: hybrid that gets 10 MPG and it could use the lanes :(

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hmmm speaking of HOV laws... Just wondering... Are hybrids that have HOV stickers able to drive in other states that also have similar laws?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Nope, they only work in your state. Just because I have a truck here that can run on propane and has Arizona alternative fuel license plates doesn't mean I an drive it to california and drive solo in the HOV lane.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here in Atlanta... they used to allow Insight owners to buy an AFV plate (2001). This plate allows you to ride in the HOV lane. They changed the law in 2002 or 2003 to specifically exlude Hybrids, though... and made me change my plate to a regular one.

It's really stupid, I get better gas mileage per person even when I drive alone compared to some of the other vehicles they allow in the HOV lane. GRR.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Greetings bfivelover,
The federal law has a MPG minimum of 45MPG and atleast a ULEV emmissions standard. In CA you have to be ATPZEV if the car is a 2005 or newer.

bfivelover said:
Legal in VA, but some are saying hybrids are clogging up the HOV lanes and are trying to make it illegal. IMO, there should be a cut-off where a hybrid should get at least a certain MPG(say over 50) to use the HOV lanes. Otherwise they could build a Hummer :twisted: hybrid that gets 10 MPG and it could use the lanes :(

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
This is a good thing, but I think they should raise it by 5 MPG every year, 2006 should be 50, 2007 should be 55 and so on, (Get the picture?)

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
mverrilli said:
Here in Atlanta... they used to allow Insight owners to buy an AFV plate (2001). This plate allows you to ride in the HOV lane. They changed the law in 2002 or 2003 to specifically exlude Hybrids, though... and made me change my plate to a regular one.

It's really stupid, I get better gas mileage per person even when I drive alone compared to some of the other vehicles they allow in the HOV lane. GRR.
Ahh, but gasoline is not an alternative fuel by any means of the imagination. Arizona had a similar issue with misinformation and people getting alternative fuel plates.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Obviously, but they are greener than most cars. Motorcycles are allowed into HOV lanes with only 1 passenger. Some motorcycles get much worse mpg than the insight, too.

Although really I'm not into having HOV lanes at all. They don't seem to really encourage more passengers here, just a convenience if you *happen* to have someone in the car with you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts