Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went in to circle K (bad choice?) to get gas. I had a little under a half of a tank and about a tank ago I had some jerking so I filled it up with mid-grade. Here is the deal... It took 10.2 gallons?!? I wondered if something is wrong with my car because I had 67 MPG and about 530 miles on this below half a tank. Or do you all think it is worth reporting to weights and measures guys?

·
Registered
303 Posts
counselorkv said:
I went in to circle K (bad choice?) to get gas. I had a little under a half of a tank and about a tank ago I had some jerking so I filled it up with mid-grade. Here is the deal... It took 10.2 gallons?!? I wondered if something is wrong with my car because I had 67 MPG and about 530 miles on this below half a tank. Or do you all think it is worth reporting to weights and measures guys?
\

What? I'd report it to weights and measures. Do you keep a gas log, so you can check the miles driven against the prior fillup?

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Counselorkv:

13 + gallon capacity in an Insight?

___You more then likely just discovered how to fill the vapor recovery tubing. Now watch your next tanks range soar. It doesn’t happen that often but when it does, the Insight can drink a lot of gas for those record breakers … I would just keep your hand on the pump and stop at the ~ 11 gallon total capacity area for future fills.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:h2ej89v3][email protected][/email:h2ej89v3]

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Counselorkv; I discovered this same anomoly nearly 3 years ago with my new 2002 Insight. At the gas pump, I carefully kept filling and filling, until it took 13.3 gallons. Soon I realized I could duplicate this, but only under certain conditions. I sold that car and bought a new 2003, and it was able to do the same thing! Now I have a new 2005, and in a few weeks I will try fill it very full also. Anyway, there was likely nothing wrong with the calibration or measure of the gas pump when you filled your tank.........Billy

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys!

I tried before to get that "extra gas fill-up thing" to work but I guess when you aren't trying, then it happens. I sure could use a couple of extra gallons. I will let you know if something else is different. But if not, I will really be thankful if I get more gallons to drive with. :D

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
If you did manage to put more fuel in the car than it should take then the top bar on the gauge should stay lit for a long time. If it turns off in the normal time then I'd report that pump to the weights and measures department.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
xcel,

I just read those 4 pages from last year on this topic and just wanted to let you, and others, know that so far I have traveled about 230 miles and it hasn't moved from full, yet.

It still gives me an uneasy feeling, thinking that my gauge is bad. But I take comfort in your posts. I am not getting the 97MPG, though. I am only getting 75 MPG with another adult and 3 dogs about 34 - 40 pounds each, traveling with me.

More later.........

·
Registered
569 Posts
xcel said:
Hi Counselorkv:

13 + gallon capacity in an Insight?

___You more then likely just discovered how to fill the vapor recovery tubing.
Apparently I discovered the vapor recovery tube on saturday, but I didn't get a whole lot extra in. I had three bars left and put in 9.54 gallons. Came out to 65 MPG while the car says I got 70.9 MPG. Normally the first bar disappears around 120 miles, but today it was 148 miles and 65 MPG. Does anyone know the conditions required to fill the tube? I've had the car nearly three years and this is the first time I have noticed it happening.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Bfivelover:

___Read through the link provided as that might help …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:3l6i5dty][email protected][/email:3l6i5dty]

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, it is done.

923 miles with 2 bars left. I gave in and filled it up. it only took 10.3 this time, darn, back to normal. 72mpg.

I did enjoy the extra gallons before I had to fill up again.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi Kim,

Since your sig includes "GREEN!!!!" I thought I'd pass these bits along:

Overfilling the tank such as happened to you has non-green side effects. The liquid / vapor separator tube can no longer function. Under some conditions this will allow liquid gasoline to be drawn into the charcoal canister. The canisters "job" is to trap gasoline fumes to be later purged from the canister and burned in the engine. Charcoal when properly sized and distributed acts like little "sponges" and can absorb many different harmful chemicals. However, once its saturated it can no longer function and gasoline fumes will be vented to the atmosphere (HC's).

HTH! :)

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Not commonly. But it can take several times longer under purge to clear a liquid saturated canister.

In a worst case scenario a saturated canister can become a fire bomb. A _severe_ accident that may not have otherwise resulted in a fire. But in such severe cases you'd almost literally have to split hairs to determine if the outcome could have been any different. So 99.99% of the time this is not an issue.

The "GREEN!!!!" factor is always an issue. :)

HTH! :)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Billy said:
Counselorkv; I discovered this same anomoly nearly 3 years ago with my new 2002 Insight. At the gas pump, I carefully kept filling and filling, until it took 13.3 gallons. Soon I realized I could duplicate this, but only under certain conditions. I sold that car and bought a new 2003, and it was able to do the same thing! Now I have a new 2005, and in a few weeks I will try fill it very full also. Anyway, there was likely nothing wrong with the calibration or measure of the gas pump when you filled your tank.........Billy
Billy,
Mind if I ask a question? Why would you own a 2002, a 2003 and a 2005 Insight? Best I can determine there isn't much difference at all between Insights throughout the entire 2000-2005 timeframe. Just curious.

I'm having a ball with my (new to me as of last weekend) 2000 5-speed.
-Don

1 - 14 of 14 Posts