Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed a pretty good difference from what my average MPG displayed for a tank of gas is and what it actually is when I calculate it with milage and gallons filled. Twice my calculated has been higher than the displayed MPG and this last time it was lower. I just bought the car so I'm still learning the ropes. I have managed to stay above 70mpg calculated either way. Thanks, Hodakaguy

·
Registered
466 Posts
its probably more accurate than your ability to fill up the tank to the same level every time. given the correct size tires, the computer knows how far you are going, and how much fuel is being passed through the system.

btw, "to" should be spelled "too" in your sig. :oops: :wink:

andy g.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll check the tires when I get home to make sure they are the correct size. I thought about filling it up to the same amount. I'll keep track of it trying to be as consistant as possible.
Thanks for the spelling catch.

·
Registered
466 Posts
oops! missed that one :oops: :)

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi Hodakaguy,

Form old postings by members that kept a spreadsheet calculation the long term error factor is 1-2% as long as your using OEM circumference tires.

OTOH the HCH (Honda Civic Hybrid) has a 5-7% reported error factor. In general tires are chosen as one of the _last_ items on the list. _Maybe_ this is where the "error" occurred with the HCH. Somebody @ Honda likes a slightly taller tire's handling characteristic better and the MPG calculator was never "corrected" for this "error" factor.

HTH! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts