Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my trip A set to reset after each fuel up. My trip B I haven't done anything with. How are you all using yours?

Is anyone using trip A or B to calculate more exact mpg figures, e.g., r/t to work, etc? I am finding that 20/40/60 thing not specific enough for measuring mpg on alternate routes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The only way I have ever used the second trip meter on any of my cars is as total mileage on a trip, as to know how far I have driven total at any point in the trip.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Pretty close to "fiatwins" here. I use trip A as a tank mileage check and trip B for any other measurement of interest. Either longer or shorter than a tank fill-up interval. I've checked 900 mile round trips and easy drives to town on a Saturday morning, Six miles downhill where I can get 67+ mpg on a CVT.

I like to check the trip to work in the morning with a strong tailwind, or home against it, just to see how much it can vary. Fun to watch the numbers.

Brian

·
Registered
162 Posts
Even though I have Trip Meter A automatically reset on fuel up, I also manually reset Trip Meter B at the same time. So in essence it is simply a redundant meter for me.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I manually reset trip B every morning before starting the engine. I used to use it to compare different driving styles over a given piece of terrain, but have found styles that seem to work best at this point.

Trip A is automatically set to reset at fillup. At fillup I always use a credit card and write total miles driven and trip A mpg on the credit card slip. I then post those numbers at fuelly.

With this system I'm able to use mpg numbers to develop best mpg driving style, see daily mpg, see mpg per fillup, see total / overall mpg (currently a very satisfactory 50.0 mpg).

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have Trip A set to automatically go to zero at fillup.

I use Trip B to keep a running total of "lifetime" MPG. I started this a little late and have about 1300 miles on Trip B of a total 2075 miles on the car.

·
Registered
100 Posts
A auto reset after every fuel up.
B lifetime mpg.
B is dead on with fuelly life average so thats cool.
A is usually a bit off tank to tank around 2-3mpg since it resets on each fill up.

·
Registered
77 Posts
A auto reset after fill up....like everyone else.
B I reset at oil changes to verify oil life.
I figure I'm getting lifetime mileage from the odometer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Still on my 1st tank of gas and have lots to learn! I have "A" set to reset after fill-up and I've already used "B" for one specific trip. My question is - does "lifetime mpg" display anywhere?
Thanks!

·
Registered
605 Posts
A auto reset after every fuel up.
B lifetime mpg.
B is dead on with fuelly life average so thats cool.
A is usually a bit off tank to tank around 2-3mpg since it resets on each fill up.
If your A is always 2-3 mpg optimistic it is hard for me to understand how your B can be dead on with fuelly life average. I think the B should also have the 2-3 mpg optimism of all the prior A figures. Now if some of your A figures were pessimistic by 2-3 mpg, sure the B being dead with fuelly would be understandable.

Anyway I've got half a tank left on my 4th effort to fillup at Range = 0 and am hoping to find the tank mileage to be dead on as the MID makes adjustment. So far all 3 Range = 0 fillups have shown the same 2-4 mpg optimism of MID over hand calculations that I was getting without waiting for Range = 0 FYI

·
Registered
100 Posts
If your A is always 2-3 mpg optimistic it is hard for me to understand how your B can be dead on with fuelly life average. I think the B should also have the 2-3 mpg optimism of all the prior A figures. Now if some of your A figures were pessimistic by 2-3 mpg, sure the B being dead with fuelly would be understandable.

Anyway I've got half a tank left on my 4th effort to fillup at Range = 0 and am hoping to find the tank mileage to be dead on as the MID makes adjustment. So far all 3 Range = 0 fillups have shown the same 2-4 mpg optimism of MID over hand calculations that I was getting without waiting for Range = 0 FYI
it would but theres probably some software whackiness going on. dont ask how, just do it and see the numbers merge with fuelly.

·
Registered
605 Posts
it would but theres probably some software whackiness going on. dont ask how, just do it and see the numbers merge with fuelly.
Currently I'm using A on auto for every fillup and zeroing B daily, for daily mpg monitoring. This Range = 0 thing is costing me money, so far 26 cents a gal. on two fillups. This is because I time my gas purchases to short term dips in the wholesale price of gasoline and my proximity to the cheapest gas stations in the state (cheap due to local tax issues). My next fillup, my 4th, will be the last at Range = 0.

Software whackiness makes sense as a reason for the differential in the first place. I'm up to 9.2xx k miles on the car and want to continue to use A or B for daily mpg monitoring. Zurk do you have any suggestions for setting up the MID so the mpg numbers will merge with the fuelly numbers without running the gas tank down to Range = 0?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Currently I'm using A on auto for every fillup and zeroing B daily, for daily mpg monitoring. This Range = 0 thing is costing me money, so far 26 cents a gal. on two fillups. This is because I time my gas purchases to short term dips in the wholesale price of gasoline and my proximity to the cheapest gas stations in the state (cheap due to local tax issues). My next fillup, my 4th, will be the last at Range = 0.

Software whackiness makes sense as a reason for the differential in the first place. I'm up to 9.2xx k miles on the car and want to continue to use A or B for daily mpg monitoring. Zurk do you have any suggestions for setting up the MID so the mpg numbers will merge with the fuelly numbers without running the gas tank down to Range = 0?
nah. ive always run my cars down to zero tanks. first it used to be because the gas guages used to lose calibration, now its because of the insight software wackiness. i just get used to it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts