Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the chances of seeing an Insight? Slim. What are the chances of seeing a Ferrari? Slim. Therefore the chances of seeing an Insight and Ferrari together is very unlikely (slim x slim).

However, I parked my Insight next to one today. Please see photo link - Could these be the two most beautiful cars in the world?

http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/bc/christianwhitley/vwp?.dir=/Insight&Ferrari&.src=ph&.dnm=Insight&Ferrari.jpg&.view=t&.done=http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/bc/christianwhitley/lst?&.dir=/Insight%26Ferrari&.src=ph&.view=t

PS Congratulations to the InsightCentral team for reaching 300 Registered Users.

G

·
0 Posts
yes1

your right....but i'll take the Insight anyday

8) fogs in
03 slvr MT
barefoot drvr

·
Registered
366 Posts
My money is on the Insight...................... as to who can go the furthest on a tank of gas, that is,

·
Registered
652 Posts
For a long time I drove diesel electric submarines. This thread is sounding like the old arguments between the nuclear and diesel sub guys. The diesel was faster in the short haul and had a longer endurance. The nuclear submarine could only claim superiority in speed over a long distance. Have fun, Rick

·
Registered
320 Posts
The Ferrari is not really all that aerodynamic. The sleekness is for looks more than lack of wind resistance. Just check out the wheels, which would cause a lot of turbulance whipping through air. What little attention they do give to the windstream is used is to push downwards at extremely high speeds so the car can hop over a hill without going airborn.

The key design feature of a car like this is "overkill". They don't care about fuel efficiency. They simply live in dread fear that someone in a Porche might be able to pass them on the Autoban. That's why they use 12 cylinders to power a car that woud do well with four, hence the single digit mpg.

Imagine you are an air molecule. An Insight whips by you, shoving you out of the way, then it is gone. You got shoved once by that teardrop shape along the side, or maybe twice if you went over the hood and then against the windshield. The energy it took to push you one way, then return is the energy consumed for the car to pass. Now, imagine you get passed by a Ferrari. All those fake and real scoops and fins and those sexy curves going in and out mean you get yanked around several times before the car passes, first pushed out as the nose shoves you out of the way, then pulled back in when a curve, fin, scoop or other feature sucks at you, then shoved back out when the next feature is in the way, then sucked back in, and then finally, you get sucked back toward that big, blank tail of the car. A lot more energy gets consumed, even if the car DOES look sleek.

Another way to think of it (Relativity is great for this stuff) is that every bulge or protrusion has a standing pressure wave in front of it and a standing vaccuum behind it. Pressure waves in front of a shape hold it back. Vaccuum behind a shape holds it back, too. Put a ball or a cube or any other simple geometric shape in a windstream and the pressure waves will form something close to a teardrop shape, with some turbulence at the tip of the tail.

Wind tunnel tests show that if the object itself is shaped like that teardrop, the object slides easier through the air, and if you snip off the tail where the turbulence is, there is no noticable gain of wind resistance. That's how the Insight got its snipped teardrop shape. The need for a reasonably priced windshield is one of the few compromises to that smooth teardrop shape. Also, give it the total teardrop shape without the distinctive windshield and the car becomes a butt ugly 1940s sci-fi fantasy vehicle.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Don't know offhand what the CD of a Ferrari is, but remember that IIRC total aerodynamic drag is the product of CD and the flat plate area, and just from eyeballing them, your typical Ferrari has maybe 2/3 the FPA of an Insight. So it could have maybe a 0.37 CD vs the Insight's 0.25, and still have the same aerodynamic losses.

It would be an interesting exercise, if I had the money, to figure out how to build the most efficient possible car with Ferrari-level performance.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
That looks like a Ferrari 360 Modena. It measures 2.6m x 1.21m (stated wheelbase and height) for a frontal area of 3.15m^2. Its drag coefficient is about 0.34.

The Insight drag coefficient is 0.25 and measures 2.4m x 1.35m for a frontal area of 3.24m^2.

So, at the same speed the Insight has 25% less aerodynamic drag than the Ferrari 360 Modena.

This of course neglects all other resistance (such as rolling resistance, losses in the powerplant and drivetrain), and neglects that you're rarely going to see an Insight moving at the same speed as a Ferrari :) BUT if you were to have a realllly long race you might win with the Insight since the Ferrari will have to make 5-7x as many pit stops and has a top speed only 2x as fast.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I would have thought from the picture (and from seeing them around) that the Ferrari would be rather less than that. Looks like about the same width, and 3/4 as tall.

"...you're rarely going to see an Insight moving at the same speed as a Ferrari...

Oh, you can see that most every day: around 5 pm on the LA freeways both manage a top speed of roughly 5 mph :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
I noticed that in your picture album you have the double DIN and the sat nav system. What would be the chance that you could help us out in the US? Alot of us would like to have the dash piece that allows the room needed for the navagation system.

Could you either order the part for us or give us the number we could call and order it?

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry, I can't help - my Insight was imported from Japan. You need to get friendly with a Honda dealer in Japan! :roll:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts