Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was 70 MPG... and then they added AC which dropped it to 68. Now it's dropped again to 65 MPG.

Why? What changed?

G

·
0 Posts
Hi ElectricTroy:

___You mean 66 mpg, right? I see Honda has just lowered the hwy estimate to 65 mpg on their own website?

___Here is the EPA mileage history in regards to our Insight’s … You can find the EPA mileage history on many automobiles back to the year 2000 here.

Honda Insight 5-speed

_____City/Hwy

2004__60/66
2003__61/68
2002__61/68
2001__61/68
2000__61/70

___I don’t know what changed between the 00, 01-03, and 04 model years but the EPA has a very strict city and hwy loop procedure for receiving a comparable number between model changes, years, type automobile, and manufacturer. I doubt they changed their procedure(s) over the last 4 years but they may have?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:1tjsr4k7][email protected][/email:1tjsr4k7]

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I think they tweaked it a bit more to get a slightly lower emissions level on federal anyways, not SULEV lower or anything, but I think thats what they did. The new one also weights 3 pounds more. I doubt that would make changes in mileage significant. I think the added weight is mainly the rear speakers. Also, heck it could just have been the day and or the car. If the car was tested and ambient temperature was lower than the previous tests mileage would take a hit. Or it could have just been the car. Each one is different slightly. They could have just been in a rush to get the "new" one tested and they brought the EPA a not broken in car too. Who konws, these are just some of my theories. It would be intersting to see someone with an earlier Insight trade in for a 04 and see if their results varry.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
xcel said:
___You mean 66 mpg, right? I see Honda has just lowered the hwy estimate to 65 mpg on their own website?
Yeah, Honda's website says 65 MPG. Also, like I said in my original message, the 2000 Insight did not have air conditioning (it was optional). That's why it got 70 mpg.

As for 2001-3 vs. 2004, emissions makes sense. The EPA just tightened emissions standards this year, and I guess Honda had to make adjustments to meet the new standards.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
No wait, he's right, Honda's web site changed from 66mpg to 65. Wierd, I have an early 04 brocheure that says 66mpg. Now they're making me wounder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts