Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had the dealer diagnose oil consumption and they replaced the pistons and rings as well as basically every gasket on the motor it seems, new plugs and some other stuff. Luckily it was all at 0 cost to us as there is a service bulletin and extended warranty. Even had a loaner while they did it. Car is a 2013 insight base with 56k miles.

·
Super Moderator
9,441 Posts
If you search with bar at top of page or with google, using your year and model, you will find that there was a manufacturing defect which they have just corrected. I'd say your dealer gave you pretty good service:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you search with bar at top of page or with google, using your year and model, you will find that there was a manufacturing defect which they have just corrected. I'd say your dealer gave you pretty good service:)
yeah though they did spill oil all over the place filling it... I'm happy overall, should extend the life significantly for this car with all those new gaskets. So the new piston rings FIX the issue permanently right? This is my moms car, she's had it since 2016, bought it with like 5k on the odometer. The base model options are a bit ridiculous (no map lights, vanity mirrors, center console, cruise control... come on Honda wtf) but it's been a solid car.

Curious if there are any other common issues that I should spend some time looking into while we have a bit more time. I did find a few insights at scrapyards but never was able to get any of those items in good condition unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
The Insight did come in an EX model, including one with Navigation. But even then it is sort of a hair shirt. You have to understand that Honda was specifically trying to make the most affordable (cheap) hybrid. Also keep in mind that typical Insight buyers are not interested in luxury at all. Nicer quieter hybrids are made. The standard is a Prius of course, with an irritating center mounted instrument cluster. If you wanted a nicer Prius, a Lexus CT200h was available.
My daughter had a Kia Optima hybrid that was actually a very nice car. Smooth and quiet. I was never even aware it was a hybrid the transition from low speed electric only to engine combo was undetectable. But that was Accord sized.

·
Super Moderator
9,441 Posts
So the new piston rings FIX the issue permanently right? This is my moms car, she's had it since 2016, bought it with like 5k on the odometer.
Well nothing is permanent, but far as we know the newly redesigned rings should give normal service :)

Reactions: elitemafia

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Insight did come in an EX model, including one with Navigation. But even then it is sort of a hair shirt. You have to understand that Honda was specifically trying to make the most affordable (cheap) hybrid. Also keep in mind that typical Insight buyers are not interested in luxury at all. Nicer quieter hybrids are made. The standard is a Prius of course, with an irritating center mounted instrument cluster. If you wanted a nicer Prius, a Lexus CT200h was available.
My daughter had a Kia Optima hybrid that was actually a very nice car. Smooth and quiet. I was never even aware it was a hybrid the transition from low speed electric only to engine combo was undetectable. But that was Accord sized.
I get that but the items I mentioned aren't exactly what I'd call luxury items lol. it's just bizarre the number of random things that it just straight up doesn't have in base model form. But at least it has automatic climate control, right? lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well nothing is permanent, but far as we know the newly redesigned rings should give normal service :)
hope so. the car nearly ran dry of oil prior to this. I drained about 1 quart from it after the check engine light came on for some evap sensor. shocked there were no issues run ning it on 1 quart of oil...

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
What I was saying, in coded terms is that typical Insight buyers like their vehicles stripped. The more uncomfortable the better. They don't like cars in the first place. Frugal folks are "special"

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the oil consumption issue come up at almost 70K miles - check engine light and no oil on dipstick. Same TSB was referenced and same fix as you described. Now at 140K miles.

I've had a slight oil leak ever since - had it back to dealer several times right after and they tried to find source, replaced several gaskets, etc., but it has lingered and I've lived with it. Not even enough to drop the level on the dipstick, but enough to drip a few drops on my garage floor (and make the plastic undercover a little messy when removing for oil changes).

Other than that I haven't had any major issues. Oil changes, brakes, tires, shocks, one 12V battery, that's about it. I also just had my valves adjusted - I had noticed a slight but increasing vibration when the motor was running, pretty typical for Honda's (we also had a 2006 Pilot that required valve adjustment from time to time). I waited until 118K miles to change my CVT Trans fluid for the first time - it was filthy but has never been a problem. Some recommend changing that every other oil change but I'm likely to maintain about 50K mile intervals - even though it's really easy to change, easier than the motor oil. I have not changed the filters (one inline and one in the pan). At 140K now it still is nice and pink on the dipstick.

I've had it since new and it's always been parked in our garage. I'm likely to replace it in the next year, but only because I'm ready for something newer, more comfortable, and larger (we had a surprise 3rd kid a few years back). It's been what I purchased it for - a good commuter. I would expect well over 200K of continued solid performance if maintained.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
See if you can open any of these:

·
Registered
43 Posts
At this stage my feeling is if you have a 12/13, just buy the parts and get it swapped out. Why wait until irreversible damage has occurred to plugs and cylinder head? Honda messed up but the window to get them to replace stuff is basically gone - a comment on the YouTube video about this issue reveals the essential parts required to swap out to get back to the 'good' piston design.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.