Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought the tank capacity was 10.1???????????????

hummm and I thouht I was doing good by going 702 miles on a tank.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I filled up this morning and I had 2 ticks left on gas gauge. It took 10.01 US gallons. I've filled up my Lesabre once and it took 19 gallons and the tank is a 16 gallon tank. I suspect, that there are station owners that tinker with the meters after the "official meter calibration" has been done on the pump. In other words, they are cheating us at the pump.

BTW, I always top off the tank the same every time. The gas is visible and steady at the top of neck. I realize that the neck most likely holds about a gallong, but your pump reading sounds like meter tampering to me.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
"Official" capacity is 10.4 USG, but with some cajoling it has been reliably reported to accept 13.+

Your overfilling the evap recovery system with this technique. Over the long term damage to the charcoal canister is likely. And in case of an accident having this relatively less protected item "filled" with liquid fuel can have some firey consequences. :!: :shock:

HTH! :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[Mod edit; removed entire quote in immediate reply. See rule 12]

I've heard that it can damage the recovery system --- but has anyone ever actually reported any damage to the charcoal canister??

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I don't understand the fascination with squeezing the last possible drop into the gas tank. Not only is there the chance of screwing up the emissions system, but you're also carrying around 50 pounds of gasoline for no particular reason.

I filled my car up to the "top" (i.e., until the nozzle shut off) once, shortly after I got it, because I was interested in seeing how close the MPG calculator was running in comparison to the measured gas. Since then, I just put four or five gallons in and drive another 300+ miles...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dougie said:
I don't understand the fascination with squeezing the last possible drop into the gas tank. Not only is there the chance of screwing up the emissions system, but you're also carrying around 50 pounds of gasoline for no particular reason.
tuff question.

answer = because I hate stopping to fill up!!

if I can go an extra XXX miles on a tank, I'm happy.

so when do you stop filling it? one click? 2 clicks? 3 clicks? I like it to be FULL but not enough to do damage.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Last tank full I had the gas light come on. I drove another 30miles and all of the bars on the gage disappeared. I put in 10.34USG. I slowly fill the tank and when it clicks off, I round up to a nickel or dime. If I try more, I get some on the car.

·
Registered
702 Posts
bagwell said:
answer = because I hate stopping to fill up!!

if I can go an extra XXX miles on a tank, I'm happy.
much agreed...im am so much happier not having to take the extra 10 or 15 min to stop and get gas....and if i cant wait to do it every 600 or so miles, i so will

·
Registered
323 Posts
I get gas about every 4-6 weeks. I do not drive very much. Does a gas light ever go on? I have run the tank pretty low on several occassions and was down to one or two bars.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
If you're a "read the ******* manual" sort of person, you hold the nozzle handle in all the way, to get full flow, and when it clicks off, you stop. This is reasonably repeatable, especially if you use the same pump and nozzle every time and there is nobody else using that pump (on the other side).

Take a look at the emissions system pictures in the service manual some time. As soon as the tank is full, the gas starts getting into all sorts of filters and valves and hoses that are intended to carry vapor, not liquid...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Insightful Trekker said:
"Official" capacity is 10.4 USG, but with some cajoling it has been reliably reported to accept 13.+

I was under the impression that the Insight's fuel tank capacity was 10.6 US gallons :?:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dougie said:
As soon as the tank is full, the gas starts getting into all sorts of filters and valves and hoses that are intended to carry vapor, not liquid...
not being an *** here....but from this statement it looks like you shouldn't even fill it up.... But I think you meant to say "Adding any additional fuel after the tank is full will allow gas to get into all sorts of filters and valves and hoses that are intended to carry vapor, not liquid...

I heard this lots of times, but have yet to hear anyone with any actual problems from topping off -- I thought no topping off is just for the pollution aspects of allowing the vapors to escape.

·
Registered
495 Posts
... but you're also carrying around 50 pounds of gasoline for no particular reason.
I for one agree. Gasoline weighs about seven (7) pounds per gallone and somewhere in one of these discussions the other year an individual noted that they only run around with half a tank, suggesting that there's really no reason to lug all that extra weight around.

Having read that and agreeing with it, I've been doing just that and whenever I pass a gasoline station with a low price per gallon (which seems to be all too rare these days) I pull in and put in ten dollars worth.

For me at least this has proven an effective measure; lower gas prices per gallon and better performance due to less weight being carried in the little car - which because of it's small engine is much more weight sensative than those 9,000 HP, belch-fire V-8 SUVs and the like.

But then, that's only my opinion. :)

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"

·
Registered
118 Posts
Insightful Trekker said:

Your overfilling the evap recovery system with this technique. Over the long term damage to the charcoal canister is likely. And in case of an accident having this relatively less protected item "filled" with liquid fuel can have some firey consequences. :!: :shock:

HTH! :)
OK, so I have always been filling up to the max amount that I can squeeze into the tank. I've always done this on my previous vehicles and simply have continued this habit. Since that is how I"ve been doing it, will the gas that I have pumped into the "recovery system" ever dissipate? Do you think I've already caused irreversable damage? I've only filled up about 5 times to date, so what do you think my chances of having caused damage? Dang, I've never ever heard about this before, so it appears that I am going to have to change my fueling up habits, right?

Kinda freeking out here right now, thinking that I"ve done something so terribly wrong to my new baby.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
It almost always takes quite a bit more time adding extra sips from the pump to go beyond the 10.4 limit.

"Damage" considerations have already been answered in this thread.

Re-read the thread. (and cut down on you caffeine intake :!: :p )

·
Registered
118 Posts
It might help to know if once these canisters are filled up, how long it takes to dissipate, if ever.
It also sounds like you are saying that I have not actually filled up these hoses/canisters, since I didn't sit at the pump for an extra 15 minutes(???) pumping a little more each click of the nozzle. I did only let the gas come to the TOP once so that I could see it. When the level dropped down again, I didn't continue to pump more in. So, maybe I only got a small amount in these canisters? I dunno, it seems like I did at least get some inside.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
The fuel system is designed so that if you get liquid fuel into the evaporative recovery system it eventually dissipates. No permanent damage occurs--as long as you don't manage to flush out some particles of dirt that were in the normally dry part of the system.

This is how fuel systems have been made since the 1970s when the EPA standards first went into effect.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts