Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after a long search, I am finally an Insight owner! 8) I found a clean, 2001 Silverstone Metallic CVT with 31,000 miles and 51 LMPG. 8) I’m picking it up on Sunday. 8) I really couldn't be more happy!

I’ve started to create a list of things to check or change to make sure it is in tip-top shape for my commute.

For starters I’m going to:
- Set the tires to 44 psi.
- Insure that the rear wheel covers are fastened properly.
- Change to Mobil 1 0W-20 and an Amsoil filter.
- Change the dust/pollen A/C filter.
- Clean the EGR valve (based on a recent post).
- Possibly replace the floor mats (I’m already part of the “Footrest II” order).

Anything else anyone can think of? I really can’t wait for Sunday to get started!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hey...CONGRATS Sean!
Glad to see you got your Insight!

You might just want to check with the previous owner to make sure he/she has had the ECM recall and parking lever recall performed...otherwise, sounds like you've put together a pretty good list of stuff to check!

BTW...nice LMPG to start with on a CVT! Just based on that it sounds like the previous owner must have known something about the care and feeding of the car.

Enjoy!
:D :D :D

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
One thing, thought that lmpg of 51 is pretty good for a CVT you can reset it. I wish I had known this when I got my Insight with a lmpg of (ironically) 51mpg, but this is a 5 speed. If you want to keep the lmpg intact I might suggest resetting trip B and leaving it so you can track how you did and not both owners of the car. It will roll back to 0 miles on the trip odometer every 2000, but it will still keep track of the mpg. Just keep track of how many times the trip rolls over. I kinda wish I had done this. I have kept all gas reciepts though so I can figure out my average, it just takes longer.

Ohh and naturally my list of things to do to a new car would be:
A) Wash with car soap and a good clean wash mit, dry.
B) Clay bar the car to remove the 30 some thousand miles of bonded contaminants
C) Optional, Hand polish (probably wouldn't do much for silver)
D) Wax

And yes do change the pollen filter, you'll be suprised how much they can catch in 2 years. Just imagine leaving the air filter in your house there for a year, that'll give you some idea of what to expect. And do take the time to ensure that the pleets do go in to the proper place so the filter actually seals in the assembly, you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Rick said:
D) Wax
second that.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rick, thanks for the tip about trip meter B. I think that is exactly what I will do. I thought about resetting the LMPG but instead I think I will leave it and shoot to maintain or improve on it. I have the A & B trip meters in my CR-V and only ever use the A for each tank of gas. Tracking my personal LMPG on the B meter will be great.

Wash, clay bar, and wax are already in my Labor Day weekend plans!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yeah here are a few ideas you might want to look into

get a K&N air filter installed, it saves gas, and increases power. I couldn't believe the imporvement when i installed one.
http://www.knfilterchargers.com

also check out the following link for maintance parts, i buy my oil filters from these guys they have good prices
http://216.190.132.52/insight.html

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Joe.

I use K&N Filters in all my other cars and will be adding one to the Insight with the next oil change (in about 1,000 miles).

And, I ordered new floor mats from H and A last night!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
D) Wax
Wow, I just completed this process and would never have believed a two year old car could look and feel so new! I had tried to do this on my '98 Dodge neon but gave up after just the roof (it is a lot of work and I had waxed it when it was new). I kept at it with the Insight though and just love the results. Thanks again for the tip!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts