Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I hope this is not a double post, I think it is a new question)

How do I maximize initial acceleration, that first punch from stop to accelerate.
Is it a valve setting?
Sensor?
What caused that boosted acceleration I felt sometimes from the gas engine portion of the Insight?
It used to kick in right away, maybe a second or two delay.
Now my Insight has just steady acceleration and occasionally kicks in with the added boost.
Ideas?
I am bringing my car in for minor service (oil change) and would like to get my acceleration back to normal. The head was replaced a week ago if this helps in the diagnosis?

Allen

·
Registered
652 Posts
Recommend you check out the MIMA thread. It allows max assist anytime. Have fun, RIck

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Allen,
Do you have a CVT? or manual transmission?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Allen said:
(I hope this is not a double post, I think it is a new question)
Since you "asked" yup its pretty close. :(

Since you asked nearly the same question in another recent thread here:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=3659

My read on your question is its too vague and subjective.

And that you've not done your "homework" in regard to the Insight and how it functions. What I'm saying is that I am confused as to what your asking. So any answer first requires us to try and find some common ground. A lot more work for anyone trying to help.

These types of problems are some of the most difficult to diagnose even hands on. The added difficulty of only via the written word will limit our success.

Anyway I'll try so here goes...

There are 2 "things" that have a seat of the pants boost effect. Then IMA assist and the VTEC transition 3200 RPM (ish) it happens at a specific point but I don't remember off the top of my head. What is also added in this mix is that there _may_ be something _abnormal_ due to an error(s) during your extensive repair such that you now experiencing an overall power loss. This list is long and somebody's simply got to start hands on.

Erratic power loss can be one of the most difficult type of symptom(s) to identify. It will simply require it to occur often enough for testing to reveal its root cause.

Your best bet it to try to identify a readily reproducible pattern of driving the will cause this to happen. Then take the time for a road test with the technician to "show" him. Also switch places on the return leg so he can experience the problem first hand with your guidance to target the correct driving style that will maximize the problem.

In more carefully reading between the lines of your posted symptoms it could be read that at times power and acceleration feel normal. At other times there is a _siginificant_ loss. This happens on initial acceleration from a stop. Operation of the VTEC system should _NOT_ be an issues with this. In relation to the IMA system it _could_ be normal depending on the (SoC) State of Charge of the IMA batteries, and their temperature. IMA assist will be limited of there isn't enough charge back there or the batteries are in thermal limit. This should show in the IMA gauge (that assist is "lower" than normal).

So I hope you seen now that you questions are niether simple nor necessairly have a direct answer. If you'll spend enough time behind the wheel after learning what _correct_ Insight operation is and how to more clearly describe what is abnormal then _maybe_ you can get some help from fellow members in here :) But you short time behind the wheel of your Insight before this problem began will make this extra difficult for you, sorry.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"And that you've not done your "homework" in

Question:
"Do you have a CVT? or manual transmission?"
I have a 5 speed manual transmission.

Comment:
"And that you've not done your "homework" in regard to the Insight and how it functions."
Reply: I am learning much about how the Insight works and yes have a long way to go. (Thats why I am here)

As far as the acceleration - It used to be (a few weeks ago) I had a lot of acceleration from initial start. Now the acceleration is gradual and that extra punch kicks in MUCH later in the acceleration process. It is gradual acceleration now instead of punch from the start.

My IMA is fine. charges and works well.
There seems to be a setting on the gas side of the engine that increases punch from the beginning of acceleration. Im looking for that sensor or setting.
My mpg is back to normal, only difference I notice there is that my mpg meter on the dash is capable of dropping below 25 mpg mark on the meter where as before I rarely if ever saw meter go that low on acceleration but overall average is still 70mpg.

Im pretty careful about noticing gauge readings and paying attention to performance.

I just miss that initial ZIP and want to get it back.
Ill continue to read and learn as much as I can as fast as I can and any help much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Re: "And that you've not done your "homework"

<replied inline>

Allen said:
Question:
"Do you have a CVT? or manual transmission?"
I have a 5 speed manual transmission.

Comment:
"And that you've not done your "homework" in regard to the Insight and
how it functions."
Reply: I am learning much about how the Insight works and yes have a
long way to go. (That's why I am here)
Read your owners manual :?: Read the Insight Central Encyclopedia :?:
Just trying to give helpful resources

Allen said:
As far as the acceleration - It used to be (a few weeks ago) I had a lot
of acceleration from initial start. Now the acceleration is gradual and
that extra punch kicks in MUCH later in the acceleration process. It is
gradual acceleration now instead of punch from the start.
My read is that there's something being lost in your description. There
is no "extra" punch that kicks in other than what I've already mentioned
(IMA and VTEC, at a much higher RPM) In fact the IMA's punch is
available from 1 RPM up to the peak torque of the its electric motor
1800 ish :?: (another IC encyclopedia question ;) ) ANd also look here:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=3174

Allen said:
My IMA is fine. charges and works well.
There seems to be a setting on the gas side of the engine that increases
punch from the beginning of acceleration. Im looking for that sensor or
setting.
My mpg is back to normal, only difference I notice there is that my mpg
meter on the dash is capable of dropping below 25 mpg mark on the meter
where as before I rarely if ever saw meter go that low on acceleration
but overall average is still 70mpg.
No such sensor or setting other that VTEC as already mentioned.
Normal MPG meter operation im my experience. Depends on gear selected
speed load and how hard your mashing the gas. ;)

Allen said:
Im pretty careful about noticing gauge readings and paying attention to
performance.

I just miss that initial ZIP and want to get it back.
Ill continue to read and learn as much as I can as fast as I can and any
help much appreciated.
Hope the references I've given above help :!: :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts