Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed today that my spoiler is a bit loose. I'd like to tighten it up.
I loosened the Torx screws at each end of the hatch, then found out that those don't hold the spoiler on.
Next I attempted to remove the grey plastic interior trim on the hatch. I was able to remove the two plastic buttons on either side of the hatch release button.
The trim piece has moved some but it feels like something else is holding it in place. I can't see anything else but I don't want to use any more force on this part.

Anyone got any advice?

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
The grey trim piece is a bit hard to remove the first time. You already removed the two plastic buttons near the hatch so you just have to pull harder. Some things to be careful of: There is a plastic alignment pin on the left hand side (driver's side) near the edge of the trim. You can not see it while installed. It aligns with a small piece of metal. Be careful not to break it off during removal and be sure the pin is already inserted before installing again.

There are metal compression clips that dig into the plastic holding the grey trim on. Before installing again, be sure that they are in the correct place and still crimped enough to hold the plastic. You just hit with your hand all around the trim piece and it will snap back into place.

Once you have the grey trim piece off you will see a longer than average nut (10mm socket) in the center of the hatch. That nut plus some others ( see here ) hold the spoiler onto the car.

I did not take the spoiler all of the way off but what I described should get you to the point where you can see how to remove the rest.

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
joecvt said:
The grey trim piece is a bit hard to remove the first time.
That, folks, is the understatement of the year.

I finally got it off. To get enough leverage I had to open the hatch and sit in the back of the car with my legs hanging out over the bumper. From that position I was able to get more leverage and got the inner panel off. It took a lot of effort, and I am neither small nor weak.

I found out why the spoiler was loose. It's held on at five points. Two TORX screws at each end. The long 10mm nut in the center. And lastly, two plastic clips. Of these five mounting points, both torx mounts and one of the plastic clip mounts was broken. And the 10mm nut was loose.

Anyone got a spoiler that they want to sell me cheap? This one's not fixable so I need a new one.

Thanks to Joe for the info.

Fred

P.S. If you pull your spoiler off, release the two white plastic clips from the inside. Don't try to just yank the spoiler off and hope that they'll pop loose. You're very likely to break the spoiler instead.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts