Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Yep last 4 numbers in the VIN, they start back at 0001 for each production year.

As a more in depth note here's the break down of the vin number:

All start out JHMZE1
J being Japan as the country built in
HM I think heans Honda Motors
ZE1 is the code for Insight DX (it's considered a dx model)

Then you get a 3 or a 4 for the next digit, 3 is for 5 speed 4 for CVT

Then a 5 or 7, 5 means no factory AC 7 means factory installed AC
So a CVT will be 47 for these two digits no matter what considering you can't get one without AC

The next digit is a check digit which varries.

The next digit is the year of prudoction
Y=2000
1=2001
2=2002
3=2003
4=2004 You get the idea

The next digit is T for the city of origin, can't recall the name off hand.

Then your serial number is next, for all US cars the first two digits are 00, other countries have other digits here.

Then the last 4 are your serial number, which means which number off the assembly line the car is for that production year.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've been looking at this, then looking at mine, and it's different. All that is stamped on the frame and plated is ZE1-1*****8
Coincidentally, I've just been trying to look this up. Mine is a Japanese personal import to the UK, said to be yr2000 , it only has 10 digits on the VIN ending 030. I'm wondering if it is a very early one, perhaps even a prototype or something?
Google doesn't turn much up at all.

·
Registered
G1 Insight
17 Posts
Mine is also originally a Japanese car, and where it gets weird is that it was registered as a 1999 car, but it has a CVT, which I believe wasn't available then. So it's all a bit confusing.

·
Super Moderator
5,435 Posts
Mine has one, but it is a different format from ours, There is no tag on the dash that you can see through the windshield. It's stamped on the firewall and on a sticker on the door.

Somebody with a JDM car please correct me if I've missed something.

Sam

Reactions: minor4326
1 - 13 of 13 Posts