Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all. Somebody said they wanted me to pm them. How do I do it? Thanks nakona1

·
Super Moderator
8,148 Posts
"PM or Private Message" is a term from the older format of the site - about a year ago. Old terms die hard. Currently the private message is called a "Conversation."

Click your avatar at top right, click fourth line down which is "Conversation," click "Start a Conversation" at top right.

This opens the message form into which you can type the recipient's screen, a title and a message.

At the bottom of the form, click "Start Conversation." That sends your private conversation.

You're welcome:)

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Or, you can just hover over the avatar of the person you want to 'message' and there's a link in the lower corner of the pop-up bubble that says "message."

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,715 Posts
"PM or Private Message" is a term from the older format of the site - about a year ago. Old terms die hard. Currently the private message is called a "Conversation."
I mean, they shouldn't have tried to reinvent the wheel.

"Private Message" makes more sense. I have conversations with people IRL all the time. Nothing about that word indicates "this is between sender and recipient only" but that's the way a private message works, hence why it's called a private message. The older term is not fit to die if it works better than the replacement term.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
"Private Message" makes more sense. I have conversations with people IRL all the time. Nothing about that word indicates "this is between sender and recipient only" but that's the way a private message works, hence why it's called a private message. The older term is not fit to die if it works better than the replacement term.[emphasis added]
hmm, maybe that's the point?: Use of the word "private" in the old forum connotes, well, a private message. But maybe they aren't really private, in the sense that algorithms and bots or what-not are free to scan your messages for key words, etc. to cross-tabulate, develop profiles, sell to data miners/marketers, etc?... I would assume that'd be the norm, and has been, only that changing the name avoids potential legal hassles - or something potentially inimical to the 'owners' of the forum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts