Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this shifter off eBay, the car came with one from a civic that looked weird and didn’t match up to the boot retainer. This looks and feels so much better. That being said the boot still has no way to fit to the shifter… I saw a few of you have aftermarket shifters and have the boot held in place somehow. What’s the secret?
White Light Gas Circle Font

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
12,050 Posts
Your new shifter has a larger thread than the Insight.......... probably.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
12,050 Posts
If it won't screw on then it is too big. Or the wrong thread.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Umm.....that's not a shifter, its a shift knob. I don't think anything attaches the boot the knob. The boot just sticks up due to how it's made. The Insight knob is longer so you either have to screw in down further or get a longer knob.

Car Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
12,050 Posts
The boot is a "natural spring loaded" to fit up against the shift knob.

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
I had a similar knob on my last Insight, it came off a base RSX. Here's what I did to keep the shift boot nice and "up" and tight against the knob:

With the plastic garnish/trim off I put a thick rubber washer on the shift rod, just tight enough to be tight but still moveable if I forced it hard up or down. Then I reassembled everything, tightened the knob, and then finally grabbed the washer (using the shift boot of course, now that the washer was hidden) and slid it up until it pushed the shifter boot all the way up next to the knob. Worked perfectly and never had an issue.

Good luck!

Reactions: joeaax1j and ebkbk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Jeffffej's solution is probably your best bet. If you want a very secure washer to hold the boot up, a locking collar like these should work.

It would take a little back and forth taking the console out to get the height right. Also keep in mind that the un-threaded portion of the shifter arm may not be 10mm. Good luck.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts