Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Countless numbers of people ask me. How fast will she go? And I have to tell them I don't know because the Insight has a digital dash. I've only been up around 85 mile per hour. How fast has everyone gotten up to?

They must think the car is a NEV all electric going 30 miles per hour. Or maybe they think with the rocketship shape it can go 200 miles per hour. Don't know what they are thinking.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Heh, heh.....mine will only go as fast as the posted speed limit...

This is an agreement I have with the police; I obey the law for them, they don't infringe on my freedoms :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How fast

OK, I know we are all law abiding citizens with no occasion to go over the posted (LOL). So, lets say we are on the autobahn with not speed limits. In theory how fast will the digital gauge go up to?

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
114 mph whether you are in 3rd, 4th, or 5th gear. This is what the computer limits the car to, and no, I have never had mine to this speed. Top for me was around 95.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Mine has done 97 mph, but I'm told the top speed is governed at 110 mph and the wind resistance inhibits speed as well.

·
Premium Member
2,890 Posts
As posted ... it isn't that the car doesn't have the power to go faster ... the computer has a built in speed limit programmed in ... and will start to do forced regen above a certain speed .

... Although ... I have a theory ... I have not yet tested ... get the IMA battery as full as it could go ... then just kept accelerating ... somewhere above 100 MPH forced regen will kick in to try and slow you back down ... but ... BCM trumps computer speed limit ... and eventually the BCM orders no additional regen ... which leaves the computerized speed limit with few other options ... either ... let you go faster ... or enter fuel cut mode.

I have driven mine fast enough to hit the forced regen wall over 100 MPH ... but I would want to get some time on a nice flat race track to attempt a test of my theory... only did it once ... just to know if I could... 99% of the time I drive within ~5 MPH of the posted speed limit.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
I thought the manual said its like 106mph? Yeah, fuel cust is what most manufactures do when te engine runs above certain rpms. You can test the rpm limit in any gear and floor it to see where the rev limiter kicks in.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
OK, I know we are all law abiding citizens with no occasion to go over the posted (LOL). So, lets say we are on the autobahn with not speed limits. In theory how fast will the digital gauge go up to?
Here is video of a guy in Ontario driving his 2000 Insight on a track. Fairly early in the video, the speedometer shows 125 MPH. But he never gets that high again:

Honda Insight lapping Shannonville long track

Cheers,
Bryan

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Is I recall, it is only the 2001 (or 2002) and later models that had a speed limiter. 2000 models are free to travel as fast as they can.

That said, I did once have the KM/H speedometer reading "199", which is as high as it reads. I did not think or dare to repeat this with it set to MPH to see the actual speed. To get it going this fast requires a clear and safe road, and a little bit of time. Maximum speed is achieved with 4th gear as I recall.

By the way, did anyone else get the "KY Intense: Arousal gel for her" ad when viewing this thread? Funny stuff...How fast will she go, indeed.

·
Registered
821 Posts
How fast will it go?

If those speeds are for standard cars.

Then how fast with Mima?

Turn off the parasitic background charge and when it maxes out, push the assistance to the limit

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,686 Posts
113 mph. twice , 2004 (Colorado) and 2007 (Nevada) Don't suggest you try it unless you have the skill to do it........and thats enough!

Willie

·
Registered
120 Posts
Its a long long time since I did it last, but using assist it pushed me all the way to 112mph, then the assist shut off and just the engine held me at that speed. It was enough to stick on the Bumper of a 2.0 Impreza Turbo who's JDM car was also limited to 112mph!

With the assist still going (mima?), narrow tyres and low wind resistance, I can see it passing through 120mph! Not v safe at that speed though.

·
Administrator
11,756 Posts
I havent tried full out top speed as I value my licence and job too much! However with rock hard B391 oem tyres it was very vague at anything over about 90mph even on a good roads.

I would not go for a real top end run unless on an airfield of proper trackday.

Most jap cars and I think Insight Mk1 is included in this are limited to 180kmh or 112mph by law (Mutual car makers agreement?) in Japan, so this has probably not been altered for international market with such a small production run.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I thought the tires were the reason the speed is limited.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
to me, it seems way too dangerous going so fast in such a small and light car. You hit a bump at 100mph and the cars probably going to go flying off the road or something. The insight seems to feel unstable after 90mph

Going 200mph in a 3500lb lamborghini doesnt sound too bad.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts