Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I went to start my 2001 CVT, 81,000 miles. Nothing. Completely dead. No lights, no clicks, no taste.

Saw that I had left dome light on... (it was off now, of course)

Crossed my fingers, hooked up a 12v battery jump, waited a minute, and turned ignition. Instant on just like normal (as opposed to the descriptions I've heard of the 12V starter).

The battery display showed _completely_ dark. After about ten minutes, it came up to within a couple of bars of full.

Since then everything's been ok.

I suspect that all I did was discharge the 12V either to zero or, hopefully, to some safety cutoff figure, and did NOT hurt the 144V pack.

In which case... I've probably shortened the life of the 12V a bunch of months but should otherwise be ok.

Does this make sense? Experienced opinions invited.

Thanks

·
Registered
240 Posts
I did the same thing a few years ago with my 2001 CVT... well, ok, it wasn't me... my b-friend at the time managed to leave the *headlights* on when he got out of the car (who can manage to do that, with that annoying, persistent alarm that sounds??), and the car was dead as a doornail the next morning.

I thought there was something wrong with it -- more than what could be fixed by a jump -- so I had it flat-bed towed to a dealership. I had just gotten the car (used), so I was afraid there was something really wrong with it (and I didn't realize that my moronic (ex) b-friend had left the lights on!).

The dealership jumped the car and got it running again, discovered that the headlight switch was left on, and that was that. The battery display was low until I built it back up again, but since I didn't see the display immediately after the jump, I can't tell you if it was completely dark, as you described. I think you're ok, though. :D

(P.S. I've noticed that dealerships, when they test drive the Insight after any repair, always drain my battery down to half or less -- they are really rough on the poor thing. So, my battery drainage was probably more because they test drove it than because the starter battery had drained!)

·
Registered
466 Posts
as i recall, the IMA system uses the 12 volt battery to close a relay that enables it to start on the 144 volt pack. if the 12 volter is dead, it wont even start on the 144 volt pack. all it needs is enough voltage to close the relay, and then it will start up and recharge the 12 volter.

·
Registered
133 Posts
dberns

You are absolutely correct. The IMA battery was not even part of the circuit. Unfortunately the 12V battery is required to power the computers and relays and such.

You might consider getting your 12V battery load tested, since full discharge is not healthy for it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
bad 12v

I have put a new upgraded 12v battery and some stereo equipment in my insight and every time you take the 12v battery it seems to reset the computer for 144v charging system even if the battery has a full charge so this is a normal and like you said drive a mile or two and its back to normal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts