Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long did it take you to buy an insight from the time of first interest?

For me, I joined this site mid 2012 and just picked up my first insight yesterday!!!! I think I have been interested before. Didn't realize how long it took me.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I began seriously looking for an Insight back in August and picked one up towards the end of November. So 3-4 months.

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
How long did it take you to buy an insight from the time of first interest?

For me, I joined this site mid 2012 and just picked up my first insight yesterday!!!! I think I have been interested before. Didn't realize how long it took me.
I read an article about them in '99, and was instantly intrigued. I wasn't in a position financially to buy one when they came out, but in 2003 I bought my first brand new car. (Silver MT Insight). I still have that car today, but my 2000 Citrus is my daily driver.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Less than 2 Hours?

I knew about the 1st gen, but it never was on sale here.
I knew about the 2nd gen too, thought it might be a contender someday. If not for the Jazz Hybrid.

The Jazz (Fit) Hybrid shares the floor plane and almost all of the technical stuff with the Insight, but it is shorter, lighter, seats higher and has magic seats in the rear. I test drove a Jazz and was sold. The dealer asked me (!) to test an Insight too, and sure enough it was good too. But I wanted the Jazz.

Tried to haggle a bit off the price, but no dice. They had a demo, perhaps...? No way. Went home with the promise to call at the end of the day, 'maybe we can make a sharper deal'.
Saw an Insight on the web with just 2500 km on the odometer, but almost €10,000 off. Must be a typo, I thought, or a wrecked car or whatever. But it was a Honda dealer.
So I rang the Jazz dealer to find out about the sharper deal. It was a morsel off the price. Not the 2000 off I needed.
Oh well, I'll give the dealer with that red Insight a call. Around 3:30 PM on a Saturday.
Nothing wrong with the car sir, except it is in the yard for a few months and nobody buys it, so we lowered the price yet again.
Could I have a look. I could - but we close at 5 PM.
Went over (100 km), it was nice enough, got good trade-in value for my disintegrating Nissan, signed the deal at 5:15 PM...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bought my first one 2 years ago selling it now. Got it from a car dealer in NC Second one just bought last year from a lady in CT only 8,000 miles 2012 awesome cars. I never knew about these cars until I got into sales and needed something better on gas. Best choice I have made hands down. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Immediate persuasion of then-boyfriend

The Insight was new in 2000, and with my boyfriend's Geo Metro about to give up the ghost, I persuaded him to test drive an Insight in early 2001 so he could get even better mileage and thus increase likelihood of his visits. He lived 70 miles away... that's a gallon of gas!

He bought our first, silver stick-shift 2001 off the dealer floor at RBHonda in Minnesota... another couple had gone off to their credit union for a loan, he paid cash and drove it off.
We married the following year and moved in together into his wee cabin in the woods. I learned how to drive stick on it (as did other friends) and commuted 40 miles one-way to a new job. Yes, I commute daily across the Minnesota northland thru snow and below-zero much of the year, and put 250K on that first one. Put about as much on the second, a 2005 silver stick-shift.

Now we're married 16 years going on 17 this fall... driving my third Insight, a red CVT who goes by Ruby, who's going in to the spa at RBHonda next week for its 157,000 mile treatment. I follow/lurk this thread in hopes of keeping up this third well beyond 250K.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Insight was new in 2000, and with my boyfriend's Geo Metro about to give up the ghost, I persuaded him to test drive an Insight in early 2001 so he could get even better mileage and thus increase likelihood of his visits. He lived 70 miles away... that's a gallon of gas!

He bought our first, silver stick-shift 2001 off the dealer floor at RBHonda in Minnesota... another couple had gone off to their credit union for a loan, he paid cash and drove it off.
We married the following year and moved in together into his wee cabin in the woods. I learned how to drive stick on it (as did other friends) and commuted 40 miles one-way to a new job. Yes, I commute daily across the Minnesota northland thru snow and below-zero much of the year, and put 250K on that first one. Put about as much on the second, a 2005 silver stick-shift.

Now we're married 16 years going on 17 this fall... driving my third Insight, a red CVT who goes by Ruby, who's going in to the spa at RBHonda next week for its 157,000 mile treatment. I follow/lurk this thread in hopes of keeping up this third well beyond 250K.
Safe to say that driving an insight is good for relationships. lol.

There are quite a bit of the metro owners that have switched to insights. Metros are the cheapest cars for the road when you factor in all costs associated. The major thing is the frame rust. I drove a metro for several years. My last one was rear ended. Some metro owners are looking at the mitsubishi mirages since they are pretty much the same thing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
RedDevil and Northwoods, great stories. Mine won't compare but here goes....

In 1999 I was all over it but did not have the cash. I test drove one or two once they were available. 21k was just too much for me. No one around Chicago was buying Insights but I did see one used by a windsurfer - he took out the passenger seat and fit everything inside including his board, mast, etc.

I kept my eye on them for a couple years. At the end of their availability locally they were being sold for 14k! No one wanted them around Chicago. To this day they rarely ever come up for auction. They just aren't here. But I still could not afford it.

When our two cars bit the dust at the same time in 2015/16 I went looking on EBay and came across the deal of the decade: 18,000 mile garaged Insight in Florida that had its battery maintained every month (or week) while it sat. $7500 buy it now. I was eager, researched prices, called EricBecky, discussed it with my wife, had my finger poised on the buy-it-now button while my visiting mother in law voiced her wary concerns about buying anything on EBay. I was trying to be a good son-in-law. Then, poof! Bye bye! Errrrr. That set me on a course for a deal.

I came across an online auto auction biz and watched cars get purchased for good deal prices. I learned, signed up with a broker, found a car, researched it even calling the dealer who solely maintained it, won the bid with a super low price but then the seller counter-offered since I had not met their minimum. I was new to the app. I was poised to inch up a bit when my wife called stranded on the side of the road with our double stroller walking with our one year old twins - as one of them wailed she sat nursing him while she sat on a curb!! In my rushing I did not inch up my price but clicked the "sure! whatever! whatever price you say" button by accident. So I overpaid and still had to have it towed and yet, it was not above market price so...ok. At least my extra expense cash went to a charity.

But it was an automatic. I really wanted a stick. Enter distant auction number 2. I found the accident report online and contacted the previous owner. Great car, "totaled" for a minor issue. As the auction date approached the prior owner said the repair center that totaled was shut down for fraud and she wanted to bid for the car to get it back. She got a call from another industrious car buying researcher too. I should say that with infant twins I was quite sleep deprived around this time. I won that bid and got a good deal on delivery. Nice car but tough to manage its salvage title. Plus a wiggy something somewhere eventually sidelined it. BTW, they were both Silver/Grey G1's.

Enter #3! Finally a local(ish) one. Milwaukee. I did not get a chance to inspect it. I bid. Super low. I drove away with having laid out less than $900 but....a gas line sprayed gas on the engine when I started it up and I had 20 minutes to remove it from the lot before they closed and I had already taken ownership! Smart phone guided me to a downhill repair center. Got there. Not a good possibility - drove up hill to parts store - total 1.5 miles of craziness. Repaired the gas line, drove back home. I should say that I am not a car guy. I am not a mechanic but I can dive it. I didn't even bring any tools. This car was a super neglected college idiot's car. Daddy was cool but his kid ran this thing into the ground. Nice job kid. Well at least I had extra parts.

So now I have three. All Silver. Identical from the outside. With twins and a pregnant wife the neighbors were starting to comment. I was now breeding identical cars.

And then - remember, massive sleep deprivation - finally there was a local car. I inspected it this time. Clearly garage kept. Nice vehicle. As I drove it home I saw how poor the IMA battery was but otherwise a decent car. Eventually I found the owner and chatted with him. Responsible guy. Nice car.

Car #1, the AT, went to a tenant under a rent-to-own arrangement. He needed a car for job so he could pay rent. Nice arrangement for all.

Car #2 sat too long until I finally figured out the salvage issue and I drove this beauty until a wiggy battery issue sidelined it. It was and is a head-scratcher of a problem. It sits.

Car #3, the dog, sat upon arrival awaiting cash to fix and sell but with banks loaning money again on car loans the market value of these cars plummeted making it my parts car.

Car #4, perfection, went to my responsible sister-in-law in Chicago who needed a car temporarily. This perfect exterior car was returned with a slightly dented front so now the hood appears to be ready to fly open, the passenger mirror whacked so the mirror wobbles, passenger side scratched.... One day I will, but not until she is settled. Great gal. Bad timing. City SUVs parking next to a G1 can't help but nick it. Some day we will settle up. I drive this one

I am finally building a grid charger. Soon #4 and #2 will be 100% road worthy. I'll sell #4, keep the parts car, and look only for local deals now that market value prices are low and delivery charges are up. I want to rehab these babies and get them back on the road but only one project at a time going forward. Sensible. I am finally sleeping. Three kids under two years old was pretty nuts.

#1 - $ 775 + fees = $1268 + $275 delivery = $1543 ['03 w/ 230k AT]
#2 - $1400 + fees = $2140 + $425 delivery = $2565 ['00 w/ 91k MT]
#3 - $ 575 + fees = $1043 + $ 0 delivery = $1043 ['00 w/ 219k MT]
#4 - $ 500 + fees = $ 915 + $ 0 delivery = $ 915 ['00 w/ 114k AT]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts