Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if I keep beating this but my Service Advisor tells me to document the level of my oil (Oil Consuming issue) . I check it every other day, it is almost half-way between the two holes on the dipstick. Take pics and documenting, documenting..
Now, next week I have to drive to Miami and I will be putting 100 miles on my 2012 Insight, should I top off the oil before I drive there or leave it low?

My common sense says top it off.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
I can't imagine checking oil every other day.

Anywhere between the two marks is fine. That's why there's a range.

Check every fill-up and photograph the level for documentation.

·
Super Moderator
4,690 Posts
Don't add oil! If you do they will say it isn't using oil. Drive it hard and keep documenting it. Pictures of the dipstick are good. Don't add oil!

Sam

·
Super Moderator
6,724 Posts
Apologies if I keep beating this but my Service Advisor tells me to document the level of my oil (Oil Consuming issue) . I check it every other day, it is almost half-way between the two holes on the dipstick. Take pics and documenting, documenting..
Now, next week I have to drive to Miami and I will be putting 100 miles on my 2012 Insight, should I top off the oil before I drive there or leave it low?

My common sense says top it off.
The low mark is certainly safe under most circumstances. I have gone the distance between the two marks below the lower mark with no ill effects. Obviously it isn't recommended.

The risk is that the oil will surge away from the pump pickup in high speed curves. So long as you drive moderately, it isn't such a risk. If you can feel your body moving to one side, then the oil in the sump is doing the same.

·
Premium Member
9,658 Posts
On most vehicles, the diference between the add mark and full mark on the dipstick is 1 qt.

HTH
Willie

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I think your ultimate failure is just starting. Folks reporting check engine lights coming on find no oil showing on the dipstick at all. I do think Honda will do the right thing eventually. It’s just that the dealer has to be careful documenting oil consumption or Honda Corp will not pay them for the repairs.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, made it there and back, oil is still in the halfway mark, still watching and documenting. Valve ticking is getting distinctively louder now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
marx404
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing