Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My IMA light came on again yesterday and after taking it into the dealer it is confirmed I am going to be getting my 2nd IMA Hybrid battery module replaced - luckily under warranty again.

2002 Honda Insight purchased in January of 2002 - Austin, TX

7/3/08 - 76,780 miles
Codes: P1447 & P1647

9/27/11 - 109,127 miles
Code: P1447 Battery Module Deterioration

With just 4 months before I hit my 10 year warranty and the last reconditioned battery lasting only 32,347 miles, this made me curious to what other owners have gone through.

How many batteries have you had replaced?
Do reconditioned batteries come with any guarantee of their own?

I guess one cause could be the fact that Texas just had the hottest summer recorded in USA history...

·
7,188 Posts
Insight #1 is on it's 2nd battery, replaced at 149,000 miles

Insight #2 is on it's 3rd battery with 447,000 miles

Insight #3 is on it's 2nd battery(I believe), with 226,000 miles.

I think heat affecting the batteries is overstated. There's no danger unless the batteries themselves are at 140F+.

The cause of your 2nd battery failure is likely circumstance related. Does the car ever sit for more than a week without being driven?

You must invest in a grid charger to keep your 2nd replacement battery healthy now that your warranty is expired(or will be soon).

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,698 Posts
Hitech....Please put your location in your signature. I know its in Fl, but where.

Willie

·
Registered
466 Posts
MY2000 - got the main replaced( this was the first replacement) @ 70K a couple years ago and just did the second 12v this week as it was reading 10.38v

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
7,188 Posts
Yep, that'll do it. Really, the car shouldn't sit for more than a few days at a time without being driven.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,698 Posts
INSIGHTS...Gen 1...........LOVE TO BE DRIVEN!

Willie

·
Registered
64 Posts
I replaced the original battery at 70,000 under warranty.
Today the IMA came on again at 153,000 and I've been told it's not in warranty.

2000 MT Insight

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have a 2001 and the hybrid battery was replaced in 2006 from what I could dig up. After I got it last May I would get 1 or 2 negative recals a day but ever since I started using my grid charger I've gone over a month now with no recals (except positive ones)

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
4th owner of a 2000 Insight with 260,000:
Battery replaced twice before I got it at 240,000
Battery rebuilt last Feb, found 5 bad sticks
Battery failed again in July and repaired under warranty

Grid charger on order with Mike in NY to try and keep the cells healthy for several years to come..... hopefully.

·
Premium Member
2,394 Posts
Both of my 2000 Insight's have had their battery replaced. Both were shortly after sitting around for months on end. My first Insight had the car sit around when a student who owned it went to their college campus for a semester and the battery was shot at around 40k and about 3 years if I remember right it was a car located down south and was parked outdoors in the sun which causes self-discharge to occur more rapidly.

My most current one sat around for about 3 years and I bought it with an IMA light for a good price. The IMA light is currently gone but instead of killing the pack it's mostly idle and will be pulled and rebuilt by me and I'll be looking to source the matching sticks from Hybrid-Battery once I've sorted the condition of every stick to know what I need to match with. Of course I won't have a warranty by doing it that way but I'm not asking for one.

·
Registered
160 Posts
2002 CVT with 74,000 miles on it. Original battery still works well. I have 14 months of warranty left so I'm not sure what to wish for.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts