Honda Insight Forum banner

How many Citrus-colored Insights are left?

12K views 51 replies 33 participants last post by  GLTCEJ2 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a one-owner, "rare" Citrus-colored 2000 Insight with the limited (only 10,000 ever given out) HOV/Car Pool License Plate for Arizona. It was owned by a retired couple here in AZ and pampered! 81,000 original miles, new IMA and 12 volt battery, new brakes, new serpentine belt, and recent 100,000 tune-up. It drives like a dream and looks almost brand new.

My question: does anyone know how many of the 2000 Honda Insights that were painted in the Citrus color are still out there in the US? From what I've read previously, only about 400 were made with this "rare" color scheme.

Thanks,
Mark

#2 ·
mr. dragan,

I'm assuming that when you bought the car the AZ DMV made you give up the Hybrid HOV plate from the previous owner and get a regular AZ plate? After my Prius got totalled I tried like hell to transfer my Hybrid plate over to my 2000 Insight and got told no. Since the plate here does not transfer with the car if you figured out some way to keep that plate on that car I'd like to know how you did it?

Also I saw a citrus green Insight for sale about a month or so ago in Benson just south of Tuscan.

Gilbert Guy

#3 ·
AZ HOV Plate transfer

Gilbert Guy,

When I spoke with the DMV, I was told I couldn't transfer the plate as well...and they were pretty nasty about their rules over the phone. However, I figured out a way to transfer the plate with the car from the previous owner to me.

I went to a 3rd party title company that works with the DMV here: "Sav U Time Title". They are located just south of Camelback on 16th st. in Phoenix. I first added my name to the owner's title/registration. I then removed the owner from the title & registration. The entire 2-step process was about $40 and only took 10 minutes. They were extremely pleasant and helpful (unlike our "friends" at the DMV!).

From what I understand, you should be able to transfer this special HOV plate from one hybrid to another, but they may have changed their rules. Either way, my idea worked well and I am driving my "new" Insight with the previous owner's HOV plate on it.

Good Luck!

#4 ·
mr. dragan,

Nice, I give you credit for being creative! It helped that the plate never left that vehicle. I was trying to switch it from one car to another. To bad this was just an experiment here in AZ for the first 10,000 hybrid car owners that applied. They have taken away incentive for more people to buy high milage hybrids.

Congrats on keeping the plate!

#6 ·
Citrus Green Insights

Gilbert Guy,

Thank you...I figured there is usually 2 ways to solve every "problem"! If my job ever moves me closer to home (Fountain Hills), I will sell you my Insight with the Carpool/HOV plate on it...sound good?

Wayne,

Thanks for the stats on the Citrus Green Insights in your "neighborhood". So far we have 2 Citrus Green Insights in Arizona (including mine) and 3 in Ohio (including Wayne's).

Does anyone else out there own or has anyone else seen any Citrus Green Insights?

Thanks,
Mark

#9 ·
I don't think we'll ever know for sure but I am going to guess that 80% are still on the road. So if 400 were made in CY, then maybe 320 are still left out there. If you search the yards for CY parts (i.e. the skirts) you'll find that they are very hard to come by.
Cheers
Wayne

#12 ·
I got one here in Orange County, CA

You got a steal on that AZ car. They had it advertised for $8999 and sold it for $6200 because they liked the way "you drove it". Told me she had higher bids too. "Nobody else knew how to drive it." Wow. I was going to bid $7500 and I live in OC. I emailed them just to see how much they got for it. I couldn't believe it. That car would go for $7k-$8K in L.A. easily. I got the same one in San Diego with 120K miles for $6500. I got it because she liked the way "I drove it." Who does that.

#13 ·
Total number of Citrus Insights

You got a steal on that AZ car. They had it advertised for $8999 and sold it for $6200 because they liked the way "you drove it". Told me she had higher bids too. "Nobody else knew how to drive it." Wow. I was going to bid $7500 and I live in OC. I emailed them just to see how much they got for it. I couldn't believe it. That car would go for $7k-$8K in L.A. easily. I got the same one in San Diego with 120K miles for $6500. I got it because she liked the way "I drove it." Who does that.
I've seen 400 and just over 200 of these vehicles produced, so what is the actual quantity? I have one that is in very good condition with 163,000 miles that I originally considered converting to all electric, but the battery is still good.
Here's 3 in in NE Ohio, mine is to the left with my amateur radio call sign, W8RNH, https://plus.google.com/photos/1021...5970789538033680402&oid=102124681118672255625

#18 ·
I got one, 250k miles, located Madison. We just had a Scott refurbished transmission put in there so she is now back on the road.

There's a registry online somewhere.

There's a guy in Wisconsin named curt that drives a smashed up one. He has a few insights and keeps hitting deers. I don't get it, I find that if you know how to drive it well you can pretty much pull out of anything in the insight as well as dodge the deer. I must saw half a dozen this year alone. In 6 years I pulled out of three fish tails when driving in the snow and heavy rain, no problem. You just need to know when to give it gas.

#23 ·
xcdustin;
Please include your location in your Profile, as ALL 1 Insighters have done. Thank You.

#24 ·
I've tried and missed out on several citruses (citri ?:) ). Someday...

I'd love to get my hands on one of the other market Oxygen Blue examples. That is a beautiful color!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.