Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Its not exactly half. I guesstimate about the same. I know from time to time I can be close to E and pump in 2-3 gallons and it pops right up to half a tank. To go from half to full of pump clicks off takes almost 6 gallons.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'll throw in I can go to E with the light on, I drove 10 miles, the range said 20 miles on my way to fill up, and the pump clicked off at 9.1 / stopped at 9.3.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll throw in I can go to E with the light on, I drove 10 miles, the range said 20 miles on my way to fill up, and the pump clicked off at 9.1 / stopped at 9.3.
That seems to be the point where I always get gas. The light will come on, I'll drive it for 10-15 miles, then refill at 9.2 gallons. I think it's been 9.2 all three fill ups I've done.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
The gauge seems to be a little non-linear. I can get x miles from full to half, but not as many miles from half to E. It is possible that half tank truly is half a tank, but then E is not really empty.....so half to E may be less than a half tank.....

The most I have ever put in was 9.979 gallons, no bars left on the display.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The gauge seems to be a little non-linear. I can get x miles from full to half, but not as many miles from half to E. It is possible that half tank truly is half a tank, but then E is not really empty.....so half to E may be less than a half tank.....

The most I have ever put in was 9.979 gallons, no bars left on the display.
Yeah, it seems like the last gallon/ gallon and a half are rarely utilized due to the display. When the range reaches zero there is still a good gallon or a little more left. Usually by then the needle is also on the E.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Gas tank shapes are not usually very symmetrical, so you get variations first half of tank compared to second. Most cars do that. I let the light come on and only had a few miles left on range when I filled up last. Only took about 9.4 gallons and I filled some after cut off.

As long as you don't go all the way to dry/empty, you're fine. Running the fuel pump dry isn't a good thing in any car these days.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
The fuel helps to cool the pump and having fuel in the tank it takes up space air could and allows less moisture to build up in the tank. Fuel like all liquids expands as it gets warmer, so too much like too little can be a bad thing.

I dont really fill up unless Im going to drive a good 75 miles or so. Othewise I just buy 15 dollars worth when its 3/4 empty so it goes to 1/4 empty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
Cobb
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing