Honda Insight Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
62K miles on 2010 Insight ES-T, which is the UKDM stopgap before the EX was introduced - i.e. as EX spec but no reversing sensors or HID lamps. Bought this about 5 years ago with 34K on the clock.

Just taken it out of storage after the last 3 months, as it was my wife's - but shes now got a new car, and I have just sold my Mitsubishi IMIEV and taken the I2.

Been mostly a good car, other than a transmission failure at 38k Miles, happening about 3 months after we bought it. Was not actually too expensive to replace. Other than that, it's been a great car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
2012 EX - now 130K miles

Had the oil consumption issue at 70K; dealer did the ring replacement, small oil leak since then that I've lived with; plugs were done then too. Recently replaced all 4 shocks with KYB, rears were leaking before, somewhat better ride, was hoping for better. Powerstop pads/rotors on front; still same on rear, brake fluid changed. Changed trans fluid for first time at about 120K. 3rd set of tires, Yokohama AVID Ascends, decent, long lasting (about 60K from previous). Replaced original 12v battery earlier this year. Daily 75 mile commuter, averages about 46 MPG on commute, about 42 around town, down from 48/44 over the last couple of years.

Currently the motor vibrates at start up, thinking it's the valves needing an adjustment (have had previous Honda's). Also needs a coolant flush. A/C blows cool - but maybe not quite as cold as originally.

Aside from oil consumption, which Honda covered, it's been what I bought it for - a good commuter. Have to get used to the sight lines, which aren't great. Have the extended warranty related to the OC issue through next October. Need something a bit bigger with 3 kids now so will look at the Accord Hybrid, among others, after that.
IMG_4164.JPG

·
Registered
346 Posts
2012 EX - now 130K miles

Had the oil consumption issue at 70K; dealer did the ring replacement, small oil leak since then that I've lived with; plugs were done then too. Recently replaced all 4 shocks with KYB, rears were leaking before, somewhat better ride, was hoping for better. Powerstop pads/rotors on front; still same on rear, brake fluid changed. Changed trans fluid for first time at about 120K. 3rd set of tires, Yokohama AVID Ascends, decent, long lasting (about 60K from previous). Replaced original 12v battery earlier this year. Daily 75 mile commuter, averages about 46 MPG on commute, about 42 around town, down from 48/44 over the last couple of years.

Currently the motor vibrates at start up, thinking it's the valves needing an adjustment (have had previous Honda's). Also needs a coolant flush. A/C blows cool - but maybe not quite as cold as originally.

Aside from oil consumption, which Honda covered, it's been what I bought it for - a good commuter. Have to get used to the sight lines, which aren't great. Have the extended warranty related to the OC issue through next October. Need something a bit bigger with 3 kids now so will look at the Accord Hybrid, among others, after that. View attachment 83650
Some mileage boy👍👍

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought mine last september: 2011 with only 60000km (32000 mls) About 5000mls later and I love it in every way. Looks, interior, features, the drive itself, technics and what you can't see but only experience, Honda's legendary reliability. No problems sofar but an overheating IMA battery due to a cooling unit and also weak battery. Both were replaced under warranty. New Bridgestone All Season wich provide much better grip, especially in the wet and better comfort.(sound). For the car was not maintained by Honda but by some franchise no original engine and transmission oil (slight wistle) was used. So I'll have that serviced soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Picked up a 2009 1.3 SE yesterday with 68000 miles on it. Still finding my way obviously, but my first impression is how peaceful the driving environment is. I live in London with all its idiots, bad driving and road rage, yet now I waft serenely along in a zen-like state, growing little plants as I go... with the prospect of low fuel consumption as icing on the cake. Pleased! :geek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Interesting--out of all these posts, only one (?) IMA battery failure. I am possibly going to look at a 2010 EX tomorrow, as one just became available--I expect to haggle on price since I feel it's overpriced, and with 144k miles, I can use the argument that the IMA battery might be due for replacement (even if it's not 😉 ). The next nearest one is 7½ hours away, other than a really sad looking Insight that had badly stained seats and had been poorly repainted. I've also been looking at the TSX (Acura) and actually prefer that, but they are impossible to find locally in clean condition, and my kiddo would probably appreciate paying a lot less for fuel since she is commuting to college in-town.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It has been 12 days and 950 miles since I got my Insight 2, so here are a few early observations...

Things I really like:

Instant high-voltage starting
Entertaining retro-tech dash
Quiet and relaxing in traffic
No manual gear changing
60 miles per gallon (UK) average
Roomy cargo area
Comfortable, though I be tall
Low maintenance
Very reliable - so far
Easy to park
Cheap road tax and insurance
Affordable tyres

Things I like not so much:

Firm ride over UK potholes
Engine rowdy when pressing on
Rattles in dash and driver's door
CVT can be lumpy at times
No spare wheel
Interior plastics less than plush
Rear visibility abysmal
No adult headroom in back

OK, hybrids are a compromise and need to be driven smoothly to take advantage of their merits - otherwise why bother? But for me, the good outweighs the bad. Cheap plastics don't look great, but are light. Skinny tyres make for a firm ride and skittish handling at speed, but have lower rolling resistance. No spare wheel is a weight saving (though I did buy one). Rear visibility and headroom are sacrificed on the altar of aerodynamics. It's all about MPG, obviously. And the Gen 2 is a budget hybrid, after all.

'Quirky' is not a word I like to use, but this car is definitely quirky. It has character. And I love it, despite (and possibly because of) its faults. How quickly did I come to sneer at gas-only cars and regard them as archaic as steam engines!

And of course the British, bless 'em, don't much like perfection and generally prefer things to be just a little bit difficult. Why, I do not know. But this makes the Insight 2 absolutely right for the UK used car market...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Skinny tyres make for a firm ride and skittish handling at speed, but have lower rolling resistance.
That was one common complaint I have read about in reviews--the Insight is not particularly as stable as other cars on the road, especially in a crosswind. I wouldn't mind upgrading to a wider tire, but without actually owning an Insight, I don't know what else I could fit in there without it rubbing. We don't mind if it sacrifices a few miles per gallon to make it more stable on the road--after all, it would replace a V6 Accord that spends some of its time in stop-and-go traffic. We are still looking at the Insight along with a few other models, but Insights in our price range in good condition are a rarity here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wouldn't mind upgrading to a wider tire, but without actually owning an Insight, I don't know what else I could fit in there without it rubbing.
I believe you can go from 175 65 15 to a 185 or even 195 width on the same 5.5 rim, but with a corresponding change in height ratio to keep the overall wheel diameter the same (or very similar) to avoid any discrepancy in speed and mileage readings. I'm sure there's more on this board about it somewhere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I believe you can go from 175 65 15 to a 185 or even 195 width on the same 5.5 rim, but with a corresponding change in height ratio to keep the overall wheel diameter the same (or very similar) to avoid any discrepancy in speed and mileage readings.
With all the Hondas I have owned, going up to the next tire width usually corrects the speedometer. I've found that at a true 70 MPH (measured with radar and GPS), the speedometer usually reads 72-73 MPH. On our CR-Vs, going up to a 235 over the original 225 width made it accurate to less than 0.5 MPH. On my '97, I instead went up to a 75-ratio tire vs. a 70 and had a similar correction. But on all of those, there is room in the wheelwell for the additional width and height.

Not a big deal for now, though--I'm just reading through the threads here to see what the known issues are, and to get an idea overall on how much everyone likes their Insights. (Sure, I'd love a new one, but this is for something that is going to be driven down into a dicey neighborhood downtown.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've found that at a true 70 MPH (measured with radar and GPS), the speedometer usually reads 72-73 MPH.
I've found the same, at least from using GPS/SatNav. At a 'true' 70 mph my Speedo will show 72 mph. This has been the case over my previous three cars, all Japanese. I wonder if this is deliberate? I'd say it's preferable to be travelling slightly slower than you thought, than too fast...

·
Super Moderator
4,885 Posts
This also makes the car run out of warranty sooner.

Sam

·
Registered
346 Posts
It has been 12 days and 950 miles since I got my Insight 2, so here are a few early observations...

Things I really like:

Instant high-voltage starting
Entertaining retro-tech dash
Quiet and relaxing in traffic
No manual gear changing
60 miles per gallon (UK) average
Roomy cargo area
Comfortable, though I be tall
Low maintenance
Very reliable - so far
Easy to park
Cheap road tax and insurance
Affordable tyres

Things I like not so much:

Firm ride over UK potholes
Engine rowdy when pressing on
Rattles in dash and driver's door
CVT can be lumpy at times
No spare wheel
Interior plastics less than plush
Rear visibility abysmal
No adult headroom in back

OK, hybrids are a compromise and need to be driven smoothly to take advantage of their merits - otherwise why bother? But for me, the good outweighs the bad. Cheap plastics don't look great, but are light. Skinny tyres make for a firm ride and skittish handling at speed, but have lower rolling resistance. No spare wheel is a weight saving (though I did buy one). Rear visibility and headroom are sacrificed on the altar of aerodynamics. It's all about MPG, obviously. And the Gen 2 is a budget hybrid, after all.

'Quirky' is not a word I like to use, but this car is definitely quirky. It has character. And I love it, despite (and possibly because of) its faults. How quickly did I come to sneer at gas-only cars and regard them as archaic as steam engines!

And of course the British, bless 'em, don't much like perfection and generally prefer things to be just a little bit difficult. Why, I do not know. But this makes the Insight 2 absolutely right for the UK used car market...
I agree with your sentiments entirely,wish the ride was easier ref potholes etc,on my 2nd insight and love the frugality and dependability

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree with your sentiments entirely,wish the ride was easier ref potholes etc,on my 2nd insight and love the frugality and dependability
I believe roads in Japan are maintained to a much higher standard than in the US and UK, so maybe that has something to do with it. My previous car was an Auris MK1 with similar Spartan suspension, so I'm used to it. Auris and Insight both have a torsion beam system on the rear. My son's 22-year-old Golf is superb over the rough stuff, however. It's has independent suspension all round. Doh!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 187,587 miles on my 2010 Insight. Plugs, Oil, Tires, CVT fluid, Varios air filters...basic maintenance items. Im not sure why Honda didnt sell a lot more of this generation Insights.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts