Honda Insight Forum banner
81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,251 Posts
That is more like a saga than the history of a car;)

·
Registered
662 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
165,000 miles

basic maintenance done 100k plugs, every 4th oil change the tranny oil, front brakes/rotors replaced after 120,000 miles, and these damn small tires are all ways getting nails in them.

35mpg when driving it hard , 40+ when i baby the throttle

485 miles to the tank best I've gotten

325 miles to the tank worst I've gotten

seeing how high other drivers get in miles i might try to upgrade the radio to a NAVI

this is a great work/commuter car i constantly do at least 800 to 1000 miles a month for work and personal use but now with a 2nd vehicle 2020 Honda Crv Hybrid (great suv) the insight gets less driving on weekends.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to IC; gidday everyone from sunny Auckland NZ.

Bought a 2011 "S" a month ago with 176000km (109000 miles) for NZD5500 (USD4000). Was what we call "NZ new"; i.e. was a legit Honda new car sold here, not a used import from Japan.

One owner - a property mgt company - so high km's but serviced regularly by local Honda crowd until late 2017 then the service records peter out. Yet to visit the local Honda dealer to get the fimrware version checked; they've said $75 to check and update if needed so that's good.
Pretty decent condition with near new back seats, no dings. Needed new oil and air filters, engine oil, brake pads and machined rotors. Battery at 25% so I've been looking at good old Hybrid's dis/charger kit. Hopefully going on an 2000km round trip later this month to see how the batt holds up and what economy I can get out of her.

Like Discreet (UK), finding the v poor rear vision a bit to get used to. Would be great to have reversing sensors at least (maybe will throw some sacrilegious stuff in there and install a rev camera). Few creaks in the plastic work but nothing too bad. Road noise on our crap rural roads not so good. CVT on Eco in town takes some practice with the lumpy and slow takeoff.
Flooring it on the motorway onramp in normal mode was great; very impressive constant acceleration.

Came with a space saver spare tyre so that's a win going by some of you.

Love the retro, very Japanese dash with all the eco reminders / LEDs. Very happy so far coming from a Honda Jazz of 10 years which was amazing to drive in the city - so nimble. Feels like going all futuristic compared to the basic Jazz. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rolling over 175k miles about now. Bought the car around 2015 (2010 model) with about 50k on it. It's been surprisingly durable.

Only major maintenance I've done was at 100k I dropped the trans pan, cleaned out the metal dust, cleaned the magnets, and replaced the 'lifetime filter' for the trans fluid line. Lifetime filters are a joke.
Never did the plugs at 100k. Still going strong but seeing minor (2-7mpg) loss since I got it.
Only repairs have been a solenoid that controls the AC clutch. It was maybe a $15 part.

I am however, sick to death of DRL bulbs dying. Seems like every other year DRL warning light comes on.

Things that need done: Shocks, struts, window seals on outside are falling into the door. Probably need to service the transmission again - it seems a little less grabby when I really push it to the floor but that's not often.

·
Registered
ES-T 2010, Polished Metal, Grey Leather, Satnav.
4 Posts
Not some of the inter-galactic mileages here, but just saying, at 85,000 from 30,000 when bought 5.5 years ago (2010 ES-T) - 3 rd Honda, and best car I’ve ever had. Approaching 11 yrs old - I look around and can see nothing to persuade me to part with this car - or wads of cash in doing so. Only things fixed so far, a binding rear brake, noisy front wheel bearing - and a new bonnet and grill after hitting a deer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update on mine: 203k now.

Replaced the spark plugs yesterday, trying the new ruthenium ones instead of iridium. The fuel cap problem of last year has been resolved; a pebble magically bypassed all the protection and hit the fuel vapor recapture tube causing a minor leak. Some superglue fixed that problem. The air conditioner stopped working last summer but removing the spacer from the clutch plate has fixed it for now. Also replaced the condenser as at some point in time it took a massive hit and was punched in in the middle.
This year’s projects/issues include an exhaust system that suddenly sounds much throatier than it used to. Brake fluid and coolant need to be drained and flushed. Headlights need to be restored and some bulbs need replacement. Still need TPMS sensors replaced. Need an oil change sooner than later.

Good times, good times.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Rolling over 175k miles about now. Bought the car around 2015 (2010 model) with about 50k on it. It's been surprisingly durable.

Only major maintenance I've done was at 100k I dropped the trans pan, cleaned out the metal dust, cleaned the magnets, and replaced the 'lifetime filter' for the trans fluid line. Lifetime filters are a joke.
Never did the plugs at 100k. Still going strong but seeing minor (2-7mpg) loss since I got it.
Only repairs have been a solenoid that controls the AC clutch. It was maybe a $15 part.

I am however, sick to death of DRL bulbs dying. Seems like every other year DRL warning light comes on.

Things that need done: Shocks, struts, window seals on outside are falling into the door. Probably need to service the transmission again - it seems a little less grabby when I really push it to the floor but that's not often.
Valve adjustment might improve your MPG - mine had dropped 4-5MPG and have gotten it back since that was completed. Was also noticeably more vibration in motor. 2012 EX

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello! Just wondering how many miles do you have on your insight?

I own a 2014 insight and have 76,000 miles.
My commute is 192 miles round-trip mostly freeway. I purchased the car last September with 34,000. Tires and brakes have been replaced. Routine oil changes done and transmission fluid replaced. I'm hoping to get this close to 200k.

I'll probably hit 100k in 6 more months.

Have a great one!
My 2010 just rolled over 413,000 miles. Looking forward to hitting 500,000.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everyone I am a new owner of Insight. My car is from 2009 and has only 46k km. I enjoy reading about owners with 10 times my mileage :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought a 2011 EX a couple of months ago with only 2400 miles :oops: Belonged to an old guy who hardly used it, it had only done 23 miles since May '19 until I got it in April '21, was kept in a garage so the bodywork was in mint condition. Absolutely love the car - was originally looking for a Civic Type-R but when I came across it I just couldn't resist. Previously had a VW Polo that was so rubbish on fuel and costing a fortune to run. Mainly done city driving (so a lot of stop/start, and plenty of hills) so mpg not that great at 47mpg, but do try to get it out on a decent run when I can. Make sure I get out in it at least twice a week just to give it a run.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought my used 2010 EX (no nav) last year (2020), end of June. I took a job out of town which is ~120 miles round trip and for sure didn't want to drive my 4x4 Z71 daily. The motorcycle is great when the weather cooperates, but weather is bi-polar here! It had about 142k miles on it when I acquired it. I have about 30 days to go to make it a year and I have about 173xxx miles now. Minus about 8 weeks of not commuting last year. She seems to run great and the dealership gave her good marks at the last oil change. Said I didn't need the CVT transmission oil changed. AC freezes me out and the heat was great during our single-digit, arctic weather blast in February. I'm noticing some squeaking on cold mornings backing out of my driveway when I hit the road hump. Shocks or struts (I haven't read up), I'm sure. The roof has oxidized horribly and most of the rubber weatherstripping could be replaced. It was a local car when new but moved to LA and the body isn't beautiful, but it's purely utilitarian for me so I try to ignore it. I have lots of hills and curves and I will say she's pretty fun to drive, actually. The paddle shifters make the hills even more fun. I am hearing a 'moan' when my doors unlock, so figure the actuators or motors in the doors need to be replaced soon. Hope to do them myself when I can determine, for sure, what the part numbers are. Has anyone done them? Do I need to do all four at once? This is a wonderful resource. Thanks for all your contributions!

·
Super Moderator
5,419 Posts
You ALWAYS need your CVT fluid changed. Unless you have proof of a recent change, do it now. Then every other oil change after that.

Sam

·
Registered
52 Posts
Bought a 2011 EX a couple of months ago with only 2400 miles :oops: Belonged to an old guy who hardly used it, it had only done 23 miles since May '19 until I got it in April '21, was kept in a garage so the bodywork was in mint condition. Absolutely love the car - was originally looking for a Civic Type-R but when I came across it I just couldn't resist. Previously had a VW Polo that was so rubbish on fuel and costing a fortune to run. Mainly done city driving (so a lot of stop/start, and plenty of hills) so mpg not that great at 47mpg, but do try to get it out on a decent run when I can. Make sure I get out in it at least twice a week just to give it a run.

Pls reiterate the status of the battery. From the reports in this forum it shouldn't be possible for it to be functional with such disuse.

I am actually looking for confirmation that the battery will tolerate extended periods of sitting. I just parked my 2011 /124k mi for 4 months instead of the originally planned 4 weeks. Friend started it and ran at 2500 rpm for a few minutes at 6 weeks. 12v was discharged but everything ran normally with a jump and reentry of the battery code. The dash readout is staying above 41 mpg for first time in a year or so. According to conventional wisdom I should need a new battery.

·
Registered
2 Posts

My commute is 192 miles round-trip mostly freeway. I purchased the car last September with 34,000. Tires and brakes have been replaced. Routine oil changes done and transmission fluid replaced. I'm hoping to get this close to 200k.

Have a great one!

Have a great one!
[/QUO

·
Registered
2 Posts
2010 244,404 miles. Delivery work vehicle. Long commute. Not babied, but well maintained. About 33k miles a year, and I use the hatchback like a pickup truck. Loaded with gravel, animal feed, T posts, fencing, lumber, et cetera. No problems other than routine maintenance, and less of that compared to purely internal combustion vehicle. Thinking I'll probably get 400k out of it. ( Well I've got an AC compressor that I'm procrastinating putting in. AC Still works but makes a horrible grinding sound.)

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,602 Posts
Do the rear seats fold down completely? (For long items)
My 2007 FIT is my pickup truck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine is from 2010 and it's around 90,000km(56,000mi). I bought it from Italy exactly one year ago at 70,000km(43,500mi). I've changed oil twice and CVT oil once.
My avg consumption outside town is around 50-60 US mpg (it depends on how steep the road is). Here in Bulgaria that's a decent consumption for a non diesel car 😀. On the highway it's completely different story, where I get only 32 USmpg. These cars are not made for highways unfortunately.

81 - 100 of 104 Posts