Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

We ordered our Blizzaks for the winter and I wanted to get a summer and winter set of rims to make it easier on us.

What I'm looking for is an estimate of how many MPG we will lose by going with a Summer rim like the Konig. The Stock ones are just too spendy. :(

If we decide not to go this route is there anyone who went with aftermarket rims maybe want to sell their stock ones?

Thanks in advance,

Marty

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
There is a noticeable fuel consumption increase in cold weather alone. Add to that the increase fuel consumption of non OEM tires and the difference is even more significant. But the mileage affect from using non-OEM rims due to aerodynamic and weight difference will be insignificant compared to the cold temps and non OEM tires. Any 14" civic rim will fit the Insight.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm expecting the Blizzaks and cold weather to take us down to the low 50mpg range. We were getting 54 to 58 last year with worn stock tires. The car was all over the place in the deep snow and the 4x4s tried running us down. I'm hoping the Blizzaks will help make it more usable this winter.

We drive about 90 miles round trip with a speed limit of 65MPH but usually push 70MPH with the traffic.

The reason I have been looking at the Konigs is because I would like a nice looking rim and they will cost about the same as what I can get a used pair of Honda rims around here. The salvage yards want top dollar for rims.

I can handle loosing a couple MPG for aftermarket summer rims. :) Any more then 5mpg and I will have to look for something different.

The Insight is a wonderful care backed by an even more wonderful company. Where else have you heard of a company adding a very generous warranty extension to a car that was out of warranty for many of us? :)

Thanks in advance and have a great day!

·
Registered
338 Posts
just tires

just my tire change alone dropped me 5mpg....if that gives any indication.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
The winter tires will transform your Insight in snow and ice conditions.
The Blizzaks are among be best ice tires money can buy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts