Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many years/miles do the IMA batteries last. I can't find much definitive info.

I know it's not that simple (from reading I see that driving frequency, climate, etc. can have an impact), but I'm looking at 2010/2011 Insights used daily in Oklahoma (hotter than colder) as commuters with about 75k on them. I'm looking to have this car up to about 10 years or 100k. Currently driving a 99 civic I bought new in 99 with 215k miles and still going strong and looking for the same kind of reliability and longevity. I love Honda's and could get an Insight for less than a Prius, but it seems that with everything I read, the Prius batteries last longer and are less finicky. I'm not someone who is going to do all sorts of home maintenance/charging etc. I want a low-maintenance, super reliable car with a low risk of having to put 2-3k of work into early on.

Honest input appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
The Insight IMA system has a 10 year/150k warranty in CARB states, so Honda thinks it can last at least that long. (That warranty would not apply in OK) There are Insights reported around here that are over 300k on the original battery. But those tend to be cars that rack up miles quickly. Used Insights are a killer deal if one owner and no accidents. It makes me sad how little ours is worth.

I might also recommend that you just stick to another Civic (or a Fit or a HRV)
There is something to be said about keeping it simple. You obviously know how to maintain a vehicle (a Honda anyway) if you have gotten 18 years out of your current one. Wait until the end of the model year and take advantage of Honda financing. I bet there are still 2016s sitting around dealer lots they would give a good price on and .09% financing. It can often be cheaper to buy a new Honda than a used one (the Insight being the exception)

If you really want to step up the MPG with a hybrid but don't like the Prius, there is a sportier version sold by Lexus dealers called a CT 200, as both a 4 door sedan and a 4 door hatchback. Unlike the Prius, the instrument cluster is in front of the driver.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, egads! The ones I'm looking at are about 70k, as a said, no accidents, 1 owner, garage kept, mostly for commuting, but I guess maybe 70k since 2010 would be a little low on mileage to promote the battery longevity. I guess my concern is just that the batteries seem to be more unpredictable than the Prius. I have a friend who bought a 2 year old Insight with 15k miles on it and the batter was replaced when she bought it, because it had been sitting. Knowing vehicle history is important, but it may be impossible to know enough to predict that...

I do love the Civic, but I'm looking for a hatchback for my dogs. And I'm paying cash at a max of 8k, so that's why I'm looking at used cars in that age/mileage range.

I can get Insights with those stats for about 1k less than the Prius and while that's not a whole lot, it's attractive to me, but of course not if it's less reliable. Would rather spend a little more initially and not have the car in the shop too quickly. Decisions, decisions...

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Thanks, egads! The ones I'm looking at are about 70k, as a said, no accidents, 1 owner, garage kept, mostly for commuting, but I guess maybe 70k since 2010 would be a little low on mileage to promote the battery longevity. I guess my concern is just that the batteries seem to be more unpredictable than the Prius. I have a friend who bought a 2 year old Insight with 15k miles on it and the batter was replaced when she bought it, because it had been sitting. Knowing vehicle history is important, but it may be impossible to know enough to predict that...

I do love the Civic, but I'm looking for a hatchback for my dogs. And I'm paying cash at a max of 8k, so that's why I'm looking at used cars in that age/mileage range.

I can get Insights with those stats for about 1k less than the Prius and while that's not a whole lot, it's attractive to me, but of course not if it's less reliable. Would rather spend a little more initially and not have the car in the shop too quickly. Decisions, decisions...
Do NOT consider the Civic Hybrid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
S Keith, I am not considering the Civic hybrid. Thanks, I should have mentioned it. Just the Insight in terms of Honda hybrids.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I would say that a 2010 with 70k was used enough that the battery would not be an issue. Actually, the main problem is having it sit unused for weeks at a time. That said, we have had folks here bring them back with nothing but using them. Of course those did not have warning lights or anything.

Hopefully the one, or one of the ones you are looking at has had some dealer service. There have been several software updates that applied to 2010 Insights. It is also important that the CVT fluid has been changed regularly. This is even more important than having the fluid changed in regular Honda automatics.

Also keep in mind that there are 8 really expensive spark plugs that will need changing. Due at 105k, but one can let that slide a bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts