Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 honda insight, it needs a catalytic converter unfortunately, the check engine light has come on and the dealer of course priced it very high, like $1600 or something silly to replace. That's the only thing tripping the check engine light, I have the paperwork from the dealer indicating so and they told me it's not required to replace but would be a good idea.

Other things wrong are mostly cosmetic, stone chips on the front bumper, there are some scratches/minor damage on the rear fender that were touched up with dealer touch up paint... the driver's side mirror wobbles (only the mirror part) and should be replaced. Tires/brakes are fine but not brand new. Everything works.

And of course it has another 31k miles on the Honda warranty for the IMA system (no problems at all).

So what do you think I could get for this? I'm in Southern California.

Thanks,
Yosef

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yosef, you need to be careful about buying a used car right now. Katrina left many cars underwater. And since then, quick buck artists buy these cars as salvage, move them out of state where they are cleaned up and retitled in the new state so they can get the "salvage" designation off the registration, and show the car with a clean title. Unless you do a Carfax report, you'll never know if the car you're considering buying was salvage titled in another state.

Also, a car with water damage can be cosmetically fixed easily. But it typically needs all new electronics, a converter, and filters. The dead catalytic convert is a dead giveaway. Those things last at least 150K miles, unless they get wet

Good Luck
Ryan

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Unfortunately there have been many credible reports of CAT failures well before the 150K "magic" number. Sulphur content of the gasoline you burn is a major factor in its service life.

Wet :?: Hmmm, definitely not good. IMO not the "best" indicator of a possible "swimmer" though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually the car is mine, I'm trying to sell it but it's hard to sell with a bad catalytic converter that is triggering the "check engine" light on the dash board, and this is of course scaring away buyers. I've had honda pull the codes and they say that's what causing it, nothing else is registering and I have the paperwork from them that says so buy people are still scared when they see that check engine light so it seems as though I'll have to replace it unless I can sell it quickly for less money somehow.

I've always been here in Socal, and so has the previous owner plus I bought it before Katrina so that's not a problem.

I found a dealer online that sells the catalytic converter for $481+$100 core charge, free shipping and CA smog legal/certified. I'm thinking about just replacing it, selling the car and being done with it.

It's been a nice 3 yrs, and the car has been very good to me but I have a family now plus a dog so a 2-seater is no good for me :)

Do you think I could get $7000 for it for a quick sale? Or should I just fix the cat and try to get the full KBB value from it? ($8360)

Thanks,
Yosef

·
Registered
230 Posts
personally I'd fix it first -- it will sell much quicker and for more $$$....without all the hassles of trying to explain to a potential buyer.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'll second that

1 - 6 of 6 Posts