Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its a silly question, but for the sake of finding out the bottom of the tank without running it empty, has anyone figured out how much gas is below empty? Thanks, I can do the math and figure it out with a full tank and avg it, but was wondering what level do you refill your tank if you're "around town"? I know it's 10.x gallons as per spec, but...

I know my old 87 Civic had 1 gal below empty. I have read from the forums that the bar graph/float is not linear, but any ideas? How about that one person who ran out of gas 7 times?

Thanks!
Michael

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've driven my Insight with the fuel gauge having no gas bars lit up at all... given that it's 10.6 gallons, I've driven it up to 570 miles with a reading of around 54.2MPG for the tank before a fillup and it still seemed to have gas in it.

For me I usually drive it up to 10 gallons and consider the extra .6 gallons my "reserve" tank.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Tank capacity...

Our scariest fillup came with 576 miles on the A trip, no bars showing for 52 miles, and we pumped in (are you ready for this?!)... 11.25 gallons. Since then, I have heard that there is an overflow tank than can accept more gas than the nominal 10.6 capacity... but I have no clue what the overflow tank holds, nor do I want to find out by empirical research.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, I was just curious, being the technical/engineer type anyways. I could bring along a 1 gal emergency tank if I was going to go ahead and do some testing. My old 87 civic SI had like 1 gal below empty, so I thought I'd check into others' experiences.

Michael

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Don't run out of gas...

Sediment in your gasoline can cause problems in your injectors, so as most of you know, running out of gas is not a good idea, since whatever is at the bottom of your tank can get sucked up with the last gulp. It's bad on a Buick with eight injectors if one gets clogged, and geez, we only have three... And never gas up your car when the tanker truck is at your station pumping in a fresh batch of gas... the turbulence from the fillup can cause sedimentation and other contaminants to swirl up and around the underground tank, to be picked up by the pump and deposited into your pristine Insight tank... [hiccup] Just drive on to the next station or wait a day to get gas...

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Re: Don't run out of gas...

boogetyboogety said:
Sediment in your gasoline can cause problems in your injectors, so as most of you know, running out of gas is not a good idea, since whatever is at the bottom of your tank can get sucked up with the last gulp.
It has nothing to do with the injectors. There is a fuel filter (several, actually) to prevent gunk from being sucked up. Just off the top of my head, there is a sock on the fuel pump, a fuel filter (maybe two, I have not checked on the Insight in detail yet) and strainers on the injectors. Running out of fuel will not cause junk to get into the injectors. However, burning out the fuel pump is a possibility. Fuel pumps need fuel to keep them lubricated, and running them dry will quickly wear the bearings.

It's bad on a Buick with eight injectors if one gets clogged, and geez, we only have three...
A stuck injector is bad on any car.

And never gas up your car when the tanker truck is at your station pumping in a fresh batch of gas... the turbulence from the fillup can cause sedimentation and other contaminants to swirl up and around the underground tank, to be picked up by the pump and deposited into your pristine Insight tank...
Again, that's why we have fuel filters and pickup socks. After two years, look at the tank of a new car and you'll be surprised at the junk that has built up. This is especially true with a car like the Insight, which may not have regular "fuel changes".

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, most likely, Ill bring it down to 1-2 bars and then fill up, and try to chart my gallons. I used to have a Honda Civic years ago and my father got me into the habit (for a few years) to write down mileage of tank, gallons purchased, location, price, etc.. I'm going to do that again with this car, and try and keep up with it.

Michael

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Everyone does know you can put more than 10.6 gallons in the tank right? Fill the tank, wait a few seconds then put a little more in and wait and fill some more. The extra flows into the evap canistor.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I wouldn't chance any more than 40 to 60 miles worth of gas. Besides when you feel it up check the pump before you leave on how much you just put in the car. The Capacity is 10.5 or 10.6

·
Registered
91 Posts
Last night it went to 0 bars on the gas gauge I went another 12 miles this way before I was able to fill up smurfette took 9.685 gallons or about 13.65 to fill the tank I would assume that there is about a gallon after your fuel gauge says 0

·
Registered
320 Posts
Resist said:
Everyone does know you can put more than 10.6 gallons in the tank right? Fill the tank, wait a few seconds then put a little more in and wait and fill some more. The extra flows into the evap canistor.
I've read (I think in the Owner's Manual, or perhaps on the back side of the gas filler cover) that it is bad to fill the tank like this. Details:

1. The gas tank holds more than gasoline. It also holds air. As you drive, it holds progressively more air and less gasoline.

2. In order to stop this air in the gas tank from leaking gas fumes into the atmosphere (this is a ULEV, after all), there is an activated charcoal filter in the air line that provides this air to the gas tank. This filter absorbs gas fumes, unless it has been saturated with liquid gasoline.

3. Overfilling the tank as you describe saturates the charcoal filter.

Meanwhile, for all you math guys fixated on 10.6 gallons, I think that is the capacity of the TANK, not of the tank plus the filler pipe. Then there's the fuel line from the tank to the engine...

My attitude is that when the refill light comes on it's time to stop by a gas station if one is handy, and when the last bar goes out in the gas guage, it's time to be willing to drive a little out of my way to get to one.

I'm not embarrassed to fill up. Life is a compromise; a dance involving balance. I'm not willing to walk or ride a bicycle to all the places I go as part of my lifestyle. Instead, I drive a car that gets better mileage than most motorcycles, and pollutes less. As a bonus, I don't get wet when it rains, and I can easily carry all the groceries my refrigerator can hold.

Will M

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
I just ran my last tank beyond the last bar tonight.
I had exactly 609 miles when the last bar went dark.

Had 615 miles when I pulled into the gas station, and I
pumped 10.3 gallons of gas. (60.6 MPG for that tank)
Then, on the way home from the gas station, I got 87 MPG's :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts