Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to fill up at the cheapest place in the area. About 5 miles away the last bar on the gauge went out. Made it ok and put in 10.173 gallons rounding up to an even $24. How much gas was left and how far can you go when that last bar disappears?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Wanted to fill up at the cheapest place in the area. About 5 miles away the last bar on the gauge went out. Made it ok and put in 10.173 gallons rounding up to an even $24. How much gas was left and how far can you go when that last bar disappears?
Just checked my owner's manual which says the tank holds 10.6 gallons. You had about 20 or 30 miles left. But you know to never, ever run it that low.

·
Super Moderator
7,197 Posts
I'm not sure. iirc, a gallon or more. This has been discussed before so you might find the threads with the Google Custom Search tool.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Shoot. I get all squirrelly when I get down to a couple bars, even though I know I have another hunnert miles, easy. If the last bar vanished I’d likely poop my pants!

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Distance with no bars will depend on car and driving style.

I drove about 17 miles (very gently ) with no bars in my silver mt. I put 10.4 gallons in it at fill up.

Haven't worked up the nerve to try again.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just confirming that it isn't totally empty when the last bar goes off, not that I plan on doing this often.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Just be cautious that every car might have its own calibration. Zero bars is Honda saying we are no longer responsible.

I have emptied my gas tank in preparation for removing it, by running the fuel pump into a container. I don’t remember the exact numbers but at zero bars I didn’t get much more gas out. Less than half a gallon. I would not make a habit of it. Even after the fuel pump ran dry, there was fuel sloshing in the tank, so some of the fuel is “unusable”.

·
Super Moderator
1,550 Posts
I usually drive until no bars of fuel showing and then will go 30-50 miles more.

A few years ago I experimented. I filled up early Sunday morning, all the way up the filler neck to the gas cap. I drove from the gas station near my home in Upland, Ca to San Jose, Ca to Pasadena, Ca back to Upland. In the morning I took my one gallon gas can with one gallon and put it in a large garbage bag and took of to work and back for the day. When I got close to home I still had not run out of gas, so drove around for another 5 miles until the car sputtered out.
I added the one gallon from the can and drove back to the same pump, two blocks away. I put 10.3 on top of the one from the can, all the way up the filler neck to the cap for a total of 11.3.

Here is a dash picture:

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
I usually drive until no bars of fuel showing and then will go 30-50 miles more.
I do the exact same thing. Been doing it every single week for the past year. I filled up on my way home from work today. It took 10.643 gal.

I record every single drop of gas introduced into the filler neck, from every single fill, religiously, via the mileagekeeper app on my phone. And here they are:

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some of those gas stations are ripping your off since the tank only holds around 10.6 gallons.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Some of those gas stations are ripping your off since the tank only holds around 10.6 gallons.
I don't think so, not by that much. Having read of others on here who have reported putting upwards of 12 gal or more in theirs, as well as talked to at least one other person at the Frederick Meet the other week that has also done it, YES, under certain conditions, you can cram 13 gallons in them. I'm fairly certain that it has to be going into the EVAP system, filling it up with gas, which is obviously not good for it, but it can be done. I can't explain why it is that, sometimes, whatever valve that prevents it from backing up into the EVAP system, accidentally stays open, while other times, not.

The time I put 13 gallons in it, I got, not only the most miles out of the tank of gas, naturally, but I also got the best mpg out of any tank of gas since owning the car, 1031 miles I traveled on that tank of gas before refilling. I have the gas receipt. A photo of the gas pump display, and a photo of my FCD gauge cluster readings from that fill. I wouldn't have believed it either, if I hadn't experienced it first hand.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Here's the pic's I took while still at the gas pump, of the fill I did AFTER the 13 gallon previous fill. I drove 1031 miles on that tank of gas before stopping to refill again. That, can not be disputed, as my car's odometer is spot on, and I drove back and forth to work, 112 round trip miles per day, for over 9 straight days.

I'll readily concede that the gas station's pump reading could have been off a little bit on that day that it showed, and charged me for, pumping 13 gallons of gas. But here's the thing, for the first 5 or 6 months I owned the car, my tank mpg averages ranged from 76 to 79 mpg. Since I definitely traveled 1031 miles on a single tank of gas, and then, for the very next fill, it took 11.213 gallons to top off the tank again, either I, somehow, managed to average over 90 miles per gallon, even though all previous tank averages were down in the mid to high 70's, or, what seems far more plausible, is that I burned 12.68 gallons of the 13 gallons I pumped in it, for a tank average of 81.3.

Try as I might to refill the tank to the exact same level, each and every fill - straight up to the edge of the filler neck, some days, if that evap canister valve is open, it takes more, and if it's closed off, it takes less. At least that's what I suspect is going on, and that accounts for the "excessive" tank capacity, vs OEM spec'd capacity. I'm overfilling it. I admit that.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,550 Posts
So you started this thread asking how much fuel when there are no bars showing?

I replied giving you an answer from completely topped off to completely running out, which I did as an experiment.

Now you tell me I’m getting ripped off. Also, you say AROUND 10.6, next time go do your own experiment.

Next time I’m need an answer, please don’t expect me to chime in with and answer.

Scott

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
....YES, under certain conditions, you can cram 13 gallons in them. I'm fairly certain that it has to be going into the EVAP system, filling it up with gas, which is obviously not good for it, but it can be done.... The time I put 13 gallons in it, I got, not only the most miles out of the tank of gas, naturally, but I also got the best mpg out of any tank of gas since owning the car....
I recall people talking about this at IC eons ago. The idea was that it's easy to accidentally overfill and have gas go into the EVAP charcoal canister (or something like that). But, the way the system works, the consumption of that extra fuel doesn't register on the FCD. People also used to mention how, right after fill-up, they often saw super high MPG average on the FCD - again, presumably because gas/gas vapor in the EVAP canister doesn't get measured like gas from the tank does. Not sure how that works... [edit, moments later: I'm thinking the EVAP line from the canister goes directly to the intake manifold - so that gas gets consumed, creates power, etc. but it doesn't go through the fuel injectors, where fuel consumption is measured/calculated for the FCD calculations; I guess gas-rich air via the intake manifold reduces the fuel needed at the injectors(?)]

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So you started this thread asking how much fuel when there are no bars showing?

I replied giving you an answer from completely topped off to completely running out, which I did as an experiment.

Now you tell me I’m getting ripped off. Also, you say AROUND 10.6, next time go do your own experiment.
Another poster said the tank holds 10.6 gallons so if someone fills up and the pump shows they used 13 gallons, it seems to me the pump might be off and cheating the driver. I never said YOU were getting ripped off. 11.3 gallons with an extra .7 gal in the filler neck and overflow in the canister seems possible, 13 gallons doesn't.

·
Registered
96 Posts

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So are people forcing the extra couple of gallons gas in, after the pump shuts off, or doesn't it shut off until 13 gallons?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I recall people talking about this at IC eons ago. The idea was that it's easy to accidentally overfill and have gas go into the EVAP charcoal canister (or something like that).

Yes.

But, the way the system works, the consumption of that extra fuel doesn't register on the FCD. People also used to mention how, right after fill-up, they often saw super high MPG average on the FCD - again, presumably because gas/gas vapor in the EVAP canister doesn't get measured like gas from the tank does. Not sure how that works...

You've got how it works.

[edit, moments later: I'm thinking the EVAP line from the canister goes directly to the intake manifold - so that gas gets consumed, creates power, etc. but it doesn't go through the fuel injectors, where fuel consumption is measured/calculated for the FCD calculations; I guess gas-rich air via the intake manifold reduces the fuel needed at the injectors(?)]
That's what I decided was happening when I saw someone reporting the FCD graph go off scale to the right.

So overfilled my tank and sure enough for the 6 mile drive home my FCD and mpg gage showed 150+ mpg. At first I thought my dash had gone crazy so as I made a final turn before a ~1 mile stretch of road to my house I reset the segment mpg to zero and the car again went to 150 mpg.

The final turn to go down my street dropped the avg mpg to 146 mpg for the distance after I reset the segment.

I try NOT to overfill because as I remember raw gas isn't good to get in the fuel emission containers etc.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts