Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to buy my first (used) Insight and was just wondering how much insurance everybody carries on their Insights?

I've owned only cheap used cars for the past few years and carried only liability insurance on them, not comprehensive. My thinking is that I can fix most damage to the car myself, and if I had comprehensive my deductible would be so high that I'd probably end up paying for most stuff myself anyway. Secondly, my cars have had such low value that the insurance payoff on a totalled car didn't seem to justify the monthly premiums.

But the Insight is a different animal. Because of its scarcity and unique construction, I can't go to the junkyard for replacement parts if I hit something. And I figure paying somebody else to fix stuff will be really expensive because of the aluminum body/frame.

So, does anybody just carry liability coverage on their Insight? Or is that taking too big of a risk?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I carry full coverage on my car, its about $1K per year. That's with a $500 deductible on collision, no deductible on comprehensive. Of course, even that particular coverage would vary depending on what part of the country you're in, age, etc. I'm in my early 30's on the East Coast. Of course, I didn't have much choice as what to buy for insurance as I financed my car new, and the finance company requires full coverage. If you get a cheap enough price on a used Insight, going that route my not be required.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hambone, that seems expensive

I pay about $600 for a Chevy Suburban, and $550 for a 98 Ford Contour, and about $350 for a motorcycle. Wife is on all the policies as well. So I am thinking $1000 for an Insight seems pretty high assuming you have a clean record.

I use State Farm, and I think since we are both in Howard County the rates should be similar.

·
Registered
303 Posts
there are so many variables...

Location, driving record, age, length of commute, garage/parking, etc. etc...

When I called for a quote from my insurance company before buying my car (VIN on hand, though), I received a figure that ended up being about $65 lower than actual; probably due to the aluminum body.

But overall, only about $380 more going from an eight-year-old car (Celica ST) to a year-old car, for the same coverage, liability and comprehensive.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. So far, nobody has just liability, eh?

P.S. -- We bought the car last night and it's so cool! A few paint scratches, but it's a one-owner car that's been well-maintained and it's very clean.
We got a great deal because we're in sort of a backwater where the car wasn't getting much interest. Can't wait to learn all its secrets!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I don't have any accidents on my record, and haven't made any claims against my policy (last claim I filed was in '95), but I probably have a traffic citation or two hanging in my file. Actually, the last couple of years the cost of my policy has increased by about $120/yr due to I guess the company's history with aluminum bodied cars, repairing them can be pricier than normal steel or plastic bodied cars I suppose. Probably the tickets are what keep my rates up a bit. I too insure through State Farm. Maybe once I get married next week (my fiance's car is also insured through State Farm) I'll get a bit of a break for having multiple vehicles insured through them!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hambone, you should certainly combine policies: Your agent should be able to get you a multicar discount, which should get you another $75 to $200 a year off.

I have everything (house, cars, motorcycle) through State Farm, and it seems to give me some good discounts. Everytime I check with other companies, they can never beat my current rates.

·
Registered
6 Posts
discounted insurance

I am currently paying $450 six months premium on the INsight with a second vehicle on the policy through All State. There was an immediate discount to the other vehicle when I got this Insight.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I heard that Insurance for the Insight is really high, because it is considered to be a sports car, because it is a 2 seater, and has sport suspension, does anyone know if this is true? If it is not true then why is the Insurance so high on the Insight?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I recently had to change insurance carriers, but my previous insurance carrier did just that. They considered it a sports car because it was a two seater. I haggled with them a bit and made them see that 65 horses coming from three cylinders was a big difference from a Camaro. I ended up with $800/year.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I am paying about $900 a year on my 2000 in SC. It's the first car I've had to carry collision on in many years, and the collision and comprehensive are what's jacking up the cost because the Insight is more expensive to fix than other cars according to my insurance company. The policy is $500 deductible. I had a 91 MX6 Mazda with liability and comp ($500 deductible) and an 84 RX-7 with liability only before I got the Insight. I'm paying about $80 a year more for the Honda with Collision added than both those cars together. I have no tickets or accidents or claims in many years (knock on wood).
Robert

·
Registered
26 Posts
Skimmer said:
Thanks for the replies. So far, nobody has just liability, eh?
We only have liability insurance on our 2000 Insight that we bought last year. It was a hard decision, but it goes along with our general philosphy of only having insurance for things we really can't afford (replacing the house, getting sued, etc.), and we could afford to replace the car if we needed to. If we had bought the car brand new, we probably would have had comprehensive.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I also have only Liability... but because i cant afford anything else right now.

My Rates are rediculous though, I am almost embarassed. But currently im getting a rate for being 20, having something really really annoying on my record and an accident that wasnt my fault but that my insurance comapny had to pay for anyway!
so what is the really really annoying thing? An accident that was totally out of my control and which i reacted properly to, but got rear ended and still ended up with the ticket and the fault somehow! The accident in the Jeep Wrangler. The braked gave out only on the left front corner... so the car pulled into the right lane from the left real quick. I managed not to flip it (thank god!) but then i got rear ended by a guy storming down the road at 60 in a 45. The cop gave me a ticket for improper lane change and improper servicing of breaks. Now the insurance company says that the accident was my fault despite the equipment failure. (That was one ticket i should have gone to court on! Would have been thrown out in a second)

So i pay around 1100 per year for just liability. That is down from where it was at 2000 a year when i was 18. But I am on my own policy, dont own anything like a house or another car to insure, and am not married... yet! (I am engaged, but they dont care about that.... stupid insurance people)

I have been wrestling with them for a year now.... perpetually getting more and more discounts. In April when i turn 21, I have their assurance (but i will belive it when i see it) that my rates will be adjusted and they will move me to some other perfered comany or something like that. They gave me a guestimate quote of about 600 a year at that point!

sorry for the long post. Insurance is a sore spot for me right now. College student with a somewhat unfairly tarnished driving record, gets raped by insurance company!

·
Registered
303 Posts
ah, insurance...

JustinGray said:
I also have only Liability... but because i cant afford anything else right now.

My Rates are rediculous though, I am almost embarassed. But currently im getting a rate for being 20, having something really really annoying on my record and an accident that wasnt my fault but that my insurance comapny had to pay for anyway!

so what is the really really annoying thing? An accident that was totally out of my control and which i reacted properly to, but got rear ended and still ended up with the ticket and the fault somehow!
I sympathize...I totalled a car when I was 20, and insuring my new car two years later cost more than my payments...and that was at 21% interest (fresh out of school...refi'ed as soon as I qualified for the company credit union!!). I think I paid $2720 that first year, in 1995.

Two things helped the next year: reducing my commute to under 7 miles, and proving I put less than 5,000 miles annually on the odometer (bike commuting average 3 days/week) through oil change receipts.

Oh, and I carried my renter's through them for even more of a discount.

I'm not sure how the Insight is rated, my rated-pristine-just-last-year record resulted in a big discount in '04, and after 1995, I'm pretty easily satisfied. I insure through Amica, who are awesome and the only insurance company that didn't quibble over a total amount for a bicycle claim under the renter's.

·
Registered
71 Posts
insurance

my wife and I are over 60 and pay about 55 a month with 1000 deductible. Farmers insurance with multi car discount and house ins with farmers also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Insurance

When I bought mine I had GMAC Insurance. There price was way out of sight. My best price was with Progressive.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts