Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering purchasing a 2000 Insight to be my commuter car. The car seems to be in good condition with a few cosmetic issues on the interior. But the alarming part is that it has 150K miles! It starts with no problems and runs fine. I am looking for a bit of guidance in terms of evaluating this vehicle as I have never bought a car with so many miles.

Thanx!

:D

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
One word,

IMA Batteries.

Oops that's 2 words so I might as will continue:

Maintenance records are a _must_ to accurately evaluate the vehicles forecast remaining low cost life. Especially oil changes.

Also on a 2000 model the BCM & MCM have updated part numbers that are recommended (but AFAIK nor required) replacement with a new IMA pack. Est total for these 3 items $4,200 (ouch) $2100 for the IMA battery pack itself.

Have a pre purchase (NOT post purchase, the please don't make me cry) inspection done by your local trusted mechanic. Yes, you'll probably know more about the IMA system than he, but there are many other items that should also be inspected for needed repair.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Check bluebook

Mine has 217k and runs fine, but check bluebook. You should really get a good deal for that age

·
Registered
150 Posts
Buyer beware, as usual

Yeah, I think I just got screwed on buying a 2000 with 104,500 on it as it's showing symptoms of needing the battery pack and controllers replaced.
IF you can get verification in writing that the packs HAVE been replaced, then go for it, you'll be ok for a long while, it seems. From reading multiple posts and owner profiles, it's a given the battery packs / controlers WILL fail at some point past 100,000. :cry:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Obviously the battery packs "will" fail eventually, but I don't think 100,000 is some threshold over which failure becomes much more likely.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Foxpaw, its the 80K "threshold" that I worry about :!: ;)

Wayne M,

FYI the controllers have not failed, there's an updated variety that is _recomended_ for replacement with a new IMA battery pack. It is optional, but comes with "better" battery managment softeware, etc. which should help the replacement batteries last longer.

See my post in the old thread in regard to S.B. 04-028

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... 7&start=45

HTH! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts