Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talking about the plants that show up ranking your driving economy. Most I've seen is 5 (once) but most of the time I'm on 4.5 at best. There's supposed to be 3 levels according to the manual.

What's it take to improve? Long journeys on the motorway?

I only drive on the motorway once a week normally and other times through town / city with quite lot of traffic at times.

It reports anything from 40 - 60mpg. I wonder why. I've yet to work out the actual mpg by crunching the numbers.

·
Super Moderator
6,882 Posts
Talking about the plants that show up ranking your driving economy. Most I've seen is 5 (once) but most of the time I'm on 4.5 at best. There's supposed to be 3 levels according to the manual.
Explain this - before it gets taken down.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did. In the body of the message. Ah well. No fun. Can't edit the Title now.

Mod can put 'Pot plants' or (ECON) at the end or something. Any ideas on the subject from your experience of driving the Insight?

·
3,641 Posts
Referring to the Gen 2's small leaf icons on the dash that sprouts extra leaves with the increasing segment MPG average.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aren't they whole plants and you get half or a full one? Anyway...back on topic.

Anyone actually seen one of those trophies when you go above 5 plants and how did you manage that?

What's your MPG at that point?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Are we talking Imperial gallons? (please fill out your profile!)
I would start by only filling the tank, zeroing out the trip mileage and doing the division problem each fill up. The MPG readout is really just a toy.
Beyond that, do read some of the threads here about how to increase your MPG.
Stuff like checking and raising your tire pressures (stone cold in the morning for accuracy) Try to not speed between stops when driving in traffic. But the truth is, if you are going to keep up with the traffic around you, there is only so much you can do.

And to the moralists: pot is already legal in several places both in the U.S. And around the world. Get off your high horse (and get high?)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Just added some info in sig and profile. Oh yeah, forgot you can have different gallons. Yes, imperial.

One tank is 29.71 Litres, which is 6.3 Imperial Gallons (according to Google).

Managed to drive 261 miles.

So 261/6.3 = 41.4 MPG? Seems pretty poor.

The MPG readout was just 2 or 3 above so what I've read around here seems about right with it being optimistic by about 2.

When I got the car it came with these Michellin Eco tyres. I wonder if the Bridgestone would be better? I won't change them until I've worn these out more but planning ahead.

I haven't got that much weight in there either. Just a bit.

Stuff like checking and raising your tire pressures (stone cold in the morning for accuracy) Try to not speed between stops when driving in traffic. But the truth is, if you are going to keep up with the traffic around you, there is only so much you can do.
Will have to check pressure more regularly. Do so every few weeks.

I've been trying not to speed between stops. Just gradually accelerating. A phone app from a car insurance, I've been using the past two weeks gave me a 9.5 out of 10 for driving style... must be doing something right.

And to the moralists: pot is already legal in several places both in the U.S. And around the world. Get off your high horse (and get high?)
Just for the record, never smoked pot, nor want to. The ECON icon just reminds me of it and good for a laugh. :D

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
7500 km into the life of my car I saw the third trophy... It was a non-event to me, as I live in the flatlands and all I do is following big things in the slow lane (but always at a respectable distance).
Saving fuel became a bit of a hobby so I bumped up the tire pressure ( also improves cornering and sidewind resistance), dropped in LEDs and HIDs, taped some seams, blocked a grille, added some batteries to support the hybrid one... And last but not least replaced the awful meep-meep horn. :evil:
My lifetime average nears 55 mpg(US) or 70? Imp, my best trip economy is over 75 mpgUS 90Imp. Warm day with a storm wind aft.

Nonetheless, I do lose a leaf on my potty collection somedays, like last Tuesday when I got stuck in an accident jam, then ran with the pack when we got released. But I have to remember to look at it as other than the occasional frolic it always shows the same on key-off.

Don't let this put you off. It just goes to show the potentional this car has. You will find that driving in a fuel saving way will come naturally over time, even without trying.
In my case the hybrid battery was lazy, when I bought it, just 2500 km on the odo but having sat in a lot for months. It came back to life in a few months, up to full capacity in the summer.

·
Super Moderator
6,882 Posts
I did. In the body of the message. Ah well. No fun. Can't edit the Title now.

Mod can put 'Pot plants' or (ECON) at the end or something. Any ideas on the subject from your experience of driving the Insight?

OK. This Gen1 guy hasn't seen that. Funny subject line.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts