Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's finally time to sell The Green Hornet. I think she has around 145,000. My brother's been driving her, so I'll have to get the exact mileage. We bought her with 60,000.
Aside from a shopping cart dent on the quarter panel (hey better to see what you get rather than question the repair!), she pretty darn nice, usually garaged.
Factory A/C car. Also has factory dealer installed rear speakers, leather steering wheel from an S2000.
Battery was replaced under warranty at 70,000 miles. Didn't really need to, but I had friends at Honda dealership at the time and they made it happen, just to be fresh :).
Also has a harness for the battery pack.
What should I sell her for?
thanks guys!

·
Super Moderator
6,724 Posts
Almost impossible to say from this limited information. Prices vary widely depending on mileage and condition. Show some pictures, you'll need them anyway. Interior shots. Lots of exterior shots. Does the battery do recals. Does it require resets. Details?

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
At 145K it's not far off before the transmission ISB starts getting noisy and it starts to grind on down shifts. $1500 repair. Replacement battery probably on its last legs. $2000-2500. Paint and body repair. $1000+. A set of the correct tires, $400. No mention of maintenance. Plugs, filters, coolant change, valve adjustment, EGR plate cleaning, transmission fluid change, brakes, etc. $1000+. Could be worth $2,000 or could be $5,000. Need more details.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At 145K it's not far off before the transmission ISB starts getting noisy and it starts to grind on down shifts. $1500 repair. Replacement battery probably on its last legs. $2000-2500. Paint and body repair. $1000+. A set of the correct tires, $400. No mention of maintenance. Plugs, filters, coolant change, valve adjustment, EGR plate cleaning, transmission fluid change, brakes, etc. $1000+. Could be worth $2,000 or could be $5,000. Need more details.

Jeez, you sound like a party pooper. I said it was nice, did you think I was lying? Other than a small dent scrape on the passenger side, it's looks like a well taken care of car with 125,000 on it. Your list looks like you assume it's a hooptie. I took great care of this car, always OEM parts. Yes, I've replaced air, cabins filters. Same with coolant, spark plugs, regular 3,000 mile oil changes. When the slave cylinder went bad, OE slave and while I'm at it master cylinder. Brakes have been bled. No grinding on down shifts. EGR plate has been cleaned. New gaskets there when I did that as well.
Maybe I should just put it on ebay then, please do not bid.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Atikovi is pretty knowledgeable about these cars. Check his posts. Suppose he is right?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Atikovi is pretty knowledgeable about these cars. Check his posts. Suppose he is right?
You (both) may very be right. But it's also a decent car that runs fine and gets 60 mpg. I could stick it on CL for $2,000 and I bet sell it in a day. So when it's insinuated that's it's little better than a parts car and the fact that unfortunately there are a lot of cheapskates pretending to be enthusiasts with these cars puts one on the defensive...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Variance

As I research pricing on 1st generation Insights; there is no
consistency due to what is a 20 year old car.

I've noticed that geography plays a part, for example Insights
in Colorado are approximately 3x higher than Florida or South
Carolina. I do not know your market area values.

To Insighters the Citrus is highly desireable, but to the rest of
the world it is a green honda 2 door.

I'm sure you have a price that you feel it is worth. Price it at
that and see if it sells in your timeline. Ultimately what someone
is willing to pay will be what it is worth.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Jeez, you sound like a party pooper. I said it was nice, did you think I was lying? Other than a small dent scrape on the passenger side, it's looks like a well taken care of car with 125,000 on it. Your list looks like you assume it's a hooptie. I took great care of this car, always OEM parts. Yes, I've replaced air, cabins filters. Same with coolant, spark plugs, regular 3,000 mile oil changes. When the slave cylinder went bad, OE slave and while I'm at it master cylinder. Brakes have been bled. No grinding on down shifts. EGR plate has been cleaned. New gaskets there when I did that as well.
Maybe I should just put it on ebay then, please do not bid.
I really don't think Atikovi was calling you a liar. Any used car is possibly due for most if not all of what he has listed. And yes without pictures or history we have to figure the things we would do to any used car purchased could be due on this one. You satisfied some of that with your response. A range of 2k to 5k isn't bad. When you get your list together of repair history and pictures on condition I'm sure you'll be somewhere in the middle. You also gotta realize you're talking to a bunch of Insight junkies, some of them have had their "little gems" spread out all over their garages. Good luck if you decide to sell.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
So it's finally time to sell The Green Hornet. I think she has around 145,000.
Jeez, you sound like a party pooper. I said it was nice, did you think I was lying? Other than a small dent scrape on the passenger side, it's looks like a well taken care of car with 125,000 on it.
Not trying to be a party pooper but since you didn't put any details in your original post and don't seem to even know the mileage (first 145K, now 125K) I put a range between $2000 and $5000. Have you had paint or bodywork done on a car lately? On an aluminum car? Good luck spending less than $1000 on even a small repair like that. And those Honda replacement batteries seem to have knack for going out after just 3 or 4 years.

·
Super Moderator
6,724 Posts
One of the problems you'll have with IC members are that they are very knowledgeable and they KNOW what goes wrong with these 20 year old cars. Atikovi is as good or better than any at evaluating the current market. It is a tough place to sell a car. You might be better off selling on CL of eBay.

For $2000, I'd want pictures. For $5000, I'd want to see and drive the car. I't the truth, not BS, on my part.

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
Craigslist is probably the best place to sell any car. The value of the car is what someone is willing to pay for it and sometimes people want an Insight, see only one available and make a value determination based on that one car.

I don't necessarily agree with the posts above saying 'your car has this mileage and here's a laundry list of things that could go wrong and maintenance it needs'. That applies to all of our cars no matter what the age is. Many of us also can do our own work and the price to repair or replace things costs less. ISB issues aren't universal, some go beyond quarter million without any transmission issues including the 2nd gear downshift grind. One of mine didn't start to do the 2nd gear grind until 200k and others might not downshift to 2nd gear for regen, passing, or onramps and might make it to 300k.

People buy cars on current condition, they don't buy them off of whether the EGR plate was cleaned or spark plugs were replaced, those are easy and cheap things to do and the expensive things are usually obvious today and if they aren't they will likely happen somewhere down the line even if it was something already taken care of.

If you've got a few months, it's probably not a bad idea to put the car on Craigslist for the high end of the prices I'm seeing in this thread, if you don't get any calls in a few weeks drop it by a grand if you get a few calls but no takers try dropping $500 a week and see what comes up.

Some people want a Citrus because they are the color they want and are relatively rare and I've seen some go for higher prices because of that on this site.

Then again I bought both of my Insights nearly a decade ago and I bought each Insight back then for half the price of some asking prices I'm sometimes seeing either here or on Craigslist today. I also had to fix an IMA on the second car I bought, so I had a reason for the discount. Others I see on this site selling for what I think is dirt cheap. If you have time to let the market look at it and judge by responses, try a figure on the higher side. If you don't have a ton of time and are looking to get rid of the car in less than a month, you'll probably need to aim a bit lower to start.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Location and potential buyers

For what it is worth, Washington state ranks 25th in population.

Neighboring state Oregon ranks 35th, and Idaho ranks 44th.

59% of the population lives east of the Mississippi river.

The reason I mentioned this is your audience may not be as large as
someone living in a more densely populated area. Just consider this,
as price is not going to be the only issue about the car. There has been
a lot of good advice here given by other members. Your timeline of selling
is a factor that is hard to measure, and impacts the actual sale price as
well.

·
Registered
694 Posts
2 1/2 years ago when I was much stronger and wiser and better looking talented life of the party Man about town king of the world interesting and just found out about insight I would have given $3000 for a junker. Today I won't even buy a junker an will give only a 1000 for a real nice car. On the other hand I never met a insight I didn't like .what I am saying is you catch a person early in the evolution Of Insight mania they'll give more. Now that I've got five I am more selective . Could l just look at it one more time. I love the smell of aluminum in the morning!

·
Registered
694 Posts
My daddy had the prettiest wife The best four-wheel-drive truck the best John Deere tractor the most football trophies The biggest Elvis Presley fan he could out fish out hunt" he had the best hunting dog" out work out play basketball just about anybody My daddy could out fight or beat up any man in Kentucky or Tennessee and I can whip my daddy. I think that's how we feel about our personal cars. There's a little Davy Crockett in there. OK most of it !

·
Registered
412 Posts
My daddy had the prettiest wife The best four-wheel-drive truck the best John Deere tractor the most football trophies The biggest Elvis Presley fan he could out fish out hunt" he had the best hunting dog" out work out play basketball just about anybody My daddy could out fight or beat up any man in Kentucky or Tennessee and I can whip my daddy. I think that's how we feel about our personal cars. There's a little Davy Crockett in there. OK most of it !
In varying degrees.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
9 Participants
boojum
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing