Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2010 Insight, 140K, and the IMA light came on as well as the CHECK ENGINE icon. I went to Autozone and had them read the code. They said it read that the battery was going bad. I need to know how much time I have to find a new battery, and what is the grid charger I have seen others on this site talk about, and what does it do for the battery? If I do need a new battery, how reliable are refurbished batteries, and has anyone dealt with Hybrid Revolt to get an IMA Battery?

I am not really hybrid savvy so if you can be as simple as possible in your explanations that would be a great help, and thank you in advance for your sharing your knowledge with neophytes like me.

·
Super Moderator
4,728 Posts
Start by having your 12V battery load tested. The G2 is notorious for having all kinds of dash lights and codes, when the problem is actually only a failing 12V. Once that is eliminated we can get into the harder IMA stuff.

Sam

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello! Thx. for your quick response. I am afraid I am not familiar with the terminology of "12 v battery." Is the 12 V battery the battery that non-hybrid cars have, that are prorated? The one you can jump with jumper cables? And where is that battery located in the Insight?

·
Super Moderator
4,728 Posts
Yes. The little 12 volt battery under the hood. Just like any other normal car. Take it to someplace like AutoZone and ask them to Load Test it.

Sam

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Depending on where you live and, more importantly, where the Insight was first sold, it may have a warranty that is 10 years or 150,000 miles. Vehicle sold in CARB states must adhere to that warranty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yes. The little 12 volt battery under the hood. Just like any other normal car. Take it to someplace like AutoZone and ask them to Load Test it.

Sam
Greetings! I had the 12v battery tested and it tested ok. I know that the the warranty for the IMA battery has been extended for AT-PZEV Vehicles by state law in the CARB states. I bought the car in AZ. Under the hood the vehicle emission control info says it is California:T2B3 PC, ULEV II QUALIFIED. OBD: CA OBD II. I bought the car used from an individual, so I am not sure...

Am I going to have to replace the IMA battery?

Thx for ur help!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thx for ur response. Autozone did read the code, & the printout they gave me said: error codeP0A7F--Battery Module Deterioration. Don't know if the mechanic load tested the 12 v battery, all I know is that he tested it & said it was good. I did tell him to load test it.....

Should I have the software update done at the dealership & is Honda doing it for free? I plan on checking to see if the car is AT-PZEV to see if the IMA battery is still under warranty. When I bought the car almost a year ago, it had 120k on it. The title is clean.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Yes you should get it to an actual Honda dealer. You might want to look at reviews of dealers in both of the areas you frequent. Look for awards given by Honda to the dealer for customer satisfaction.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for ur response, appreciate help.

However, from other posts I have read, I understand that the software update will only prolong the battery life, which leads me to conclude that I am going to have to get a new IMA battery eventually because the battery is deteriorating. Please let me know if my conclusion is correct.

FYI, the car is in Provo, UT, so I called the Ken Garff dealership in UT, talked to them about the free software update and the extension of the IMA battery warranty to 150K. The service person knew about both matters but said that we would first have to do the software update. After that was done, if the IMA light came back on, he said that because the car was not a PZEV car & it was not registered in a CARB state, e.g. California, that the warranty extension did not apply but that he would reach out to Honda to see if they would do a "good will" gesture and possibly replace the failing battery (if that is the case). I asked him if there was any way to test the IMA battery. He said that other than the OBD (on board diagnostics) there was no other way to test whether the IMA battery was bad. I also told him that I had been told that a failing 12 v battery would cause these codes to appear. He said that in his experience, he had never seen that happen. The dealership has exposure to cars from all over the country because the university in that area brings students from all over the country, who bring their cars with them. He did tell me he had gotten a battery covered for a student with his car registered in California, and Honda Corp. had insisted that the student show that the car was registered in California.

He also mentioned that in addition to the recall to update the software, that there were 2 other recalls for the Insight: for the molding (it can fly off and needs to be replaced with a different type that doesn't fly off) and and the Takata air bag replacement.

Hope this helps anyone else experiencing the same problems.

Last question, is Eli a member of this forum, and does he sell refurbished IMA batteries?

Thx in advance for your responses and "insights" (pun intended!)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts