Honda Insight Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hard question to answer, so I will let you help me figure it out.
On March 4, I said:
"Ballpark estimate is that the MIMA_C Version 1 Kit including the programmed Micro with PC card and parts should be under $100, and could be as little as $40. "
I was pretty close, the parts look like they will come in at the $85-$100 range, to be adjusted up or down when I get prices for the PC cards.(very quantity based)
As an engineering professional, I have been through this difficult part of a product development many times before, and would like to try something different with MIMA.
As I have stated many times, I am developing MIMA because I want one, and can see very clearly that this could help define the optimum HHI (Hybrid Human Interface), and the optimum mix of gas to electric for optimum mileage. Which the world needs very badly right now, as we approach the peak oil period of human history.
Insight owners represent the first generation of drivers of an automobile that is potentially the model for all autos in the future. Many of you have shown in a remarkable way how important driver skill is in the efficiency equation.
The Hybrid car offerings of the major carmakers do not allow the driver to fully control the hybrid systems, and therefore learn to drive the hybrid mix to full advantage.
So my goal is to force them to offer a MIMA like option or an improvement in their future Hybrids.
Although I could use some money right now (Who couldn’t), I will stick to my assertion that I want to share MIMA with everyone that wants to take the risk and will not mark it up trying to make lots of money.
In any product there is what is called the NRE or Non Repeating Engineering cost. This total cost needs to be amortized over the number of units that you intend to sell, or the whole endeavor becomes a big waste of time and Money
I have maybe 20 people that want this thing without even asking what it will cost. Without them, I may have stopped this weeks ago.
To find the fair price point that considers the NRE, all the time to prepare the kits, parts ordering and inventory control, time to build the boards and test them, shipping cost. Time to prepare good clear instructions, future development and improvements in the software, we need to ask what is a fair price for MIMA, and how many people want one so we can figure out how to amortize the NRE.
I have too much to do to finish MIMA, to worry about this any more at this time. If someone will take the time to do a poll of what people feel is a fair price for MIMA in the different configurations that I have outlined in the “ How do you want your MIMA thread”, it would be invaluable in determining what I should charge for MIMA,let me know how many people are going to me willing to buy one and within reason I will try to base the actual price on the results of the poll.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I want one... even though I wouldn't hook it up until my warranty is gone (which is years away).

Option 3 would be my choice.

Sounds like a great upgrade for the baby.

Regards,

·
Registered
652 Posts
I'm in for one. I could do any of the options. If you have a paypal account we could send funds for your part orders etc. Doesn't seam fair that you need to order parts without the funds in hand. It would also probably give you a better confirmation on how many are needed. Have fun, Rick

·
Registered
109 Posts
Wow! Your R & D dept. works cheap!

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't need firm orders now, I need a good estimate of how many kits I will need to produce, with full realization that I will probably never recover my full labor cost, thats ok, as I said I don't need to make a lot of money on this, that was not my purpose. Since I am doing all of this work to bring MIMA to you, how about some help. Someone make a poll and get a tally for me.
Get some idea for me as to what you think this kit will be worth in the 4 configurations. In option 4, what are you willing to pay for me to help with the instalation. Am I wasting my time here?
If I get only 2-4 resoponses, I can't make an informed decision as to how to price this thing. You have a unique oppertunity to tell me what this mod is worth to you based on all the information you have. If anyone wants to try mima before committing, I have offered to meet with you, I get no response. The mima thread is getting 50-100 reads a day, someone is following this project, is it just interested parties, or people that are ready to go for it.
I just don't know. All I know is that everyone that has driven my car with this mod wants a MIMA of their own.
Would you rather that I just set some price and you have to live with it?
If I will only sell 20 of these, I will have to sell them for more than if I will eventually sell 100.The parts are cheaper in 100 quantities, the boards are lots cheaper in 100 quantities. What should I do. I hope I have made my position here clear. Now it is up to you guys. You tell me you appreciate my efforts, great! Your turn, put out some effort and get me a tally of how many and how much.
Sorry if I seem upset, just frustrated. I will leave this thread alone till next weekend, and make a decision then on price, with or without your feedback, but it will be much better with, for all of us.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,894 Posts
cost

I think you are getting so many people reading it becuase probably at least 1/2 the insight owners would want what this will do.

The snag for most is the conern about how hard it will be to put in and the risks to the car itself... no one wants to hurt thier insight.

I am a bit torn myself... if my humble skills are up to the challenge and the possible long term effects to the insight.

I think as more people install this mod and post the results so others can see the difficulty levels and effects.. more will want it....

I also think that about 1/2 the insight owners will not be brave enough or confident enough to ever do this or any serious mod to thier insight.

I for one will probably want this mod eventually ... the only thing I don't know for sure yet is if I will be in the first batch or if I will want to do it latter.... like a year or so from now.... And how much help my humble skills will need in any install I do.... I have smoked as many electrical hobie projects as I have that work correctly.... My Insight I don't want to smoke.

I also think you should charge whatever you want... anyone who wants it will pay any reasonable price... concidering the price of other car mod's from tires to radio and amps, I would think anything near $100 is a steal ... and still well worth it in the $200 and even $300 ranges.... at least to me, cost in those ranges is less of a concern than proper installation and proper functioning of the mod.

best of luck... that's my 2 bits

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'll take one also. Depending on cost, I could opt for any of the options, but I probably wouldn't drive up there to have it installed. From the way you described it, the build it and test it option would be very do-able.
Let us know, and we'll live with it.
Thanks for all your effort.
Robert

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
I agree with IamIan. My greatest concern is to not do harm to the Insight, which means learning and understanding before installing.

For me I need to get the turbo kit 000001 working and installed correctly before doing a MIMA, but I am 100% convinced MIMA is great and I will want MIMA!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Greetings Mike,
I drive on average 1500 miles a week so thru a mix if hilly terrain and city driving, I am not a hyperdriver by nature, so I wonder how much savings Im likely to realize. If I improve 20% on my MPG and gas remains above 2.00 a gallon its going to take about 15 weeks per 100 dollars spent on the MIMA. Based off of that I would say that if it could be had for 200 its doable for me,

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Mike,

You wrote "Would you rather that I just set some price and you have to live with it?"

Well, yeah. Sort of, anyway. I mean, the main reason I haven't mailed you a check already is that I don't know how much to make it out for :)

I think there's a bit of chicken & egg going on: you can't really price it without knowing how many firm orders you'll get, while a lot of people probably don't want to commit without knowing the price. Frustrating, yeah, but it'll sort out eventually.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Turbo MIMA

Hi Mike,
I guess you know what I could use on Baby. Throttle control for little or no IMA below 40% throttle, full blown IMA above 80%. As far as which option, all the way, of course. I'll go for it either way. Two kits for now, ball park for price sounds fine, ready when you are. Jack

·
Registered
652 Posts
Locking in favor of MIMA Poll thread. Please list your option choice and reasonable cost information there. THanks, RIck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.