Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Ok considering it looks like it took the brunt of the force to the passenger side I'm assuming the crash support has been hit since the air bags went off. Thats a special order from Japan, plus requires proper heli arc welding to fix. Assuming the drivers side is ok your probably looking at more like $5,000 or more as a guess. Airbags alone will be about $800, the radiator support, radiator and condensor will easily constitute another thousand. The bumper and bumper cover's probably another $800. New fender plus the linings around there's $500 (ohh yeah, paint for the bumper cover and fender... a few hundred). I would be most concerned about the $1,000 ABS modulator that sits right where it appears to have taken the brunt of the hit at. You also have the windshield wiper fluid resivor right there.

These things are expensive to fix so keep that in mind. My $5,000 was just a guess, it could easily be much more than that depending on several factors.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Fantastic investment for parts.
If I only had the space to store a car....

·
Registered
303 Posts
Poor little car.

Don't forget the windshield, there's stories all over this forum about that cost.

I'd be concerned about the unibody construction, which may not be evident in the photos due to the fiberglass side body panels. The car may never align properly again.

I'd guess it rearended a larger car at less than 50mph, based on my personal experience.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
BTW, the missing rear emblems might suggest this vehicle may have been involved in a previous accident as well.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
I am not a repair guy, but my input is to not buy it to try to fix it because you could probably get a 'new' used one for less than the total cash out the door after it got fixed.

On the other hand, it seems for the price they'll likely get someone a huge collection of perfectly good parts who will be really lucky.

It makes me want to go into the Insight repair business. Imagine all the busted up Insights one could collect and then stick them together again from all the bits and pieces. Maybe the flaw is that there aren't many busted up Insights! We could all promise to get in more wrecks to flood the market with Insight salvage and then one volunteer can scoop them all up and make a fleet of Frankenstein Insights.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Figgy, there is a small business that does just that with Prius's. They sell extra parts they have on eBay from time to time. Somewhere they have a web site. The basically get a prius that has been whacked in the front and one that was whacked in the rear and make one car out of the two.

BTW I'm still interestedin a set of tail lights if anyone happens to run across a pair at a decent price.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Rick said:
BTW, the missing rear emblems might suggest this vehicle may have been involved in a previous accident as well.
Possibly, but I took those stickers off with some goof off. Now no one knows what the hell it is.

-BT

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Nobody noticed that the car's front tires had absolutly no tread left. Except fot the 1 inch wide section in the middle. This is shown in the close-up view of the passenger front corner.

It shows that bad tires can result in a dented car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts