Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do you Insight owner's fill up your Insight? How much money does it cost you? How much money do you save or would save on gas as oppossed to driving a non-hybrid vehicle?

·
Registered
344 Posts
MAJOR SAVINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can use this website to compare two cars. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm
You can even congfigure the gas price and miles per year.

I am filling up about once every 7 days/700 miles at $20.
I was driving a Nissan Frontier CC and using about $75 a week.
I will save about $2800 this year.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
I fill up if I want to stop and wash my windows more often now than I used to wash my windows when I stopped to fill up!

·
Registered
804 Posts
I fill up every week, but if I let the tank go down to empty, it would be every 3-4 weeks. Read somewhere that less gas evaporates if you fill it up before the tank gets very empty.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Everytime the gas price is low, regardless of the gas level. (Here it goes up/down independantly of the price of the barel)

It is for the principal of buying low and I have never run out of gas.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Don't you wish you could buy gas bulk at the start of 2004 like Southwest Airlines?

That would be so cool, to buy 5-10 years worth of gas back in January and save even more money!

G

·
0 Posts
Hi All:

___This year … 40 weeks of ownership, 35,238 miles, and 34 fuel stops. Almost a once per week fillup and a bit over 1,000 miles/tank.

___In comparison to the 03 Corolla or an Accord w/ Auto, a little more then half the cost per mile traveled (fuel costs only) and ~ 200 - 400 miles more range (on average) per tank.

___Delta_Flyer, I was speaking to a Fed-Ex driver at a fuel stop on my trip through the California’s a few months ago. He told me Fed-Ex had a terminal near LA that had enough fuel for over 6 months of deliveries if in fact all hell broke loose and there wasn’t a drop to be found anywhere. He told me it cost ~ $1.28/gallon of diesel from that terminal! I do not know how much BS he was passing on to me but it was impressive none the less.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:27v5mmhy][email protected][/email:27v5mmhy]

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Once I heard when I was young that if you keep your tank low you increase the amount of condensation in the fuel tank. It makes sense, since condensation is moisture coming out of the air and if there is more air then there is more moisture assuming that condensation occurs. I therefore try to keep cars filled more rather than less, particularly if I am not driving often.

If you have a car but you bike to work, then you car may stand idle a lot and then in the day all that air in your empty tank heats up and expands. Then in the evening as you peddle home, the air cools and drops its moisture on the walls of the tank while sucking in more cool air to make up for its reduction in volume as it cools. Then the whole process repeats itself. Over and over and over.

If the tank is full of gas, then the amount of air bringing in moisture is less, so less moisture. One can't argue with this logic and still be logical, but one can argue that the amount is meaningless.

Since I heard it whispered when I was in the womb, it is too entangled in my noggin's thinking bits for me to shake out.

p.s. Do you think this is more or less true in the desert?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Every 2-3 weeks...

And except when I took delivery (grrr....) have never gotten close to an empty tank. Mostly I top off the tank out of habit, and as part of checking the tires. There's usually one or two that need some air.

I don't always wash my windshield, but I do pop the hood and check the oil and coolant.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can't believe it, some of you Insight owner's fill your Insight's up every seven days. :shock: I thought that you would fill up every once a month or two months. So overall between gas prices would you really be saving that much money on gas that it would make that much of a difference wether or not you bought a Hybrid Vehicle(Honda Insight) over a Non-Hybrid Vehicle(Ford, Toyota, Honda, Dodge, ect...)?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Well, a couple people posting here are driving 800 miles a week or more; they probably would tank up a conventional car daily.

I'm fueling at roughly the same interval as I did with my Celica, but with my Celica, I usually filled up over 12 gallons of a near-empty tank. Now I usually only fuel a few gallons for less than $10 at each interval (gas prices here at $2.47).

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
It goes without saying that you fill up proportional to how far you've driven since the last fillup, your mpg, and your tank size.

If you have a giant guzzling SUV with a 50 gallon tank, you may fill up less often than a giant guzzling SUV with a 10 gallon tank (where you fill up every hour of driving), but you still pay more and waste more.

On the other hand, if you have an Insight with a 50 gallon tank (a new mod), then you only fill up once and then drive across the country and part way back again. See the discussion of the folks who went around UK or whatever...

·
Registered
700 Posts
Chris said:
,,, So overall between gas prices would you really be saving that much money on gas that it would make that much of a difference wether or not you bought a Hybrid Vehicle(Honda Insight) over a Non-Hybrid Vehicle(Ford, Toyota, Honda, Dodge, ect...)?
I just filled up today at 708 miles on the tank. Topped off at 9.5 gal. Try that with anything you suggest....I dare ya!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well Holicow, Any Non-Hybrid vehicle can not compare to that milage. So you got 74 mpg and that is twice as good as any Non-Hybrid vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
I filled up at 711 miles last week. I still had one bar showing on the gauge, and it is getting friggin cold up here in October! I saw 111 MPG on the display for one 20+ mile segment this summer. Had a bit of tailwind and zero traffic. :D

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Chris:
Chris said:
I can't believe it, some of you Insight owner's fill your Insight's up every seven days. :shock: I thought that you would fill up every once a month or two months. So overall between gas prices would you really be saving that much money on gas that it would make that much of a difference wether or not you bought a Hybrid Vehicle(Honda Insight) over a Non-Hybrid Vehicle(Ford, Toyota, Honda, Dodge, ect...)?
___Whooa, hold on there. Jsanford has it right. I run ~ 970 - 1,150 miles per week with a usual 11 gallon fill after 1,100 miles when blessed with summer temps and summer blend fuel. When driving the Corolla, I had to fill her up after 750 miles with a touch under 15 gallons in the best of temperatures or ~ every 4 days. In the Ranger P/U, a fill is needed after every 600 miles with a touch over 16 gallons or every 3 days. The Insight is far less thirsty as you can well imagine …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:vo2jje2j][email protected][/email:vo2jje2j]

·
Registered
408 Posts
Once every 2 weeks. 300+ miles/week at 65 mpg average.

·
Registered
65 Posts
For my 244 mile round trip to work: 2.39/gal

Dodge Ram 2500 V-10: One day = 18.8 gallons or $44.93/day

Jeep Wrangler 2.5: One day = 12.75 gallons or $30.47/day

Toyota Corolla LE: One day = 6.11 gallons or $14.60/day

Honda Insight : One day = 4.36 gallons or $10.43/day

I can drive two days in a row with the Insight and Corolla. The Jeep uses the whole tank in one day and the truck was traded in for the Corolla. My wife drives the Corolla, and I only drive the Jeep to work when the weather is bad. Otherwise, the Wrangler is for the dunes of Pismo beach, rock crawling in the Mojave or something else I could never do in the Insight!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts