Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....drive the Vegas Strip on a weekend!

My wife and I took our Insight to Los Vegas this last weekend. We left Tehachapi around 9am on Saturday, and stopped in Barstow, State Line, before arriving in Los Vegas.

The car did fine on the trip to Vegas. Over the 300 or so miles, I got around 67 mpg. I had my tire at 45psi (at 4000 feet elevation) and the AC was on auto the whole way.

We made the mistake of driving down the Strip at 9pm on Saturday night. I started with a full battery, and with the bumper to bumper traffic, combined with the heat any my AC on economy mode, I lasted about 40 minutes before the battery went from half full to empty due to a recalc. This is the second time the battery has recalced in the last 2 weeks. I makes me wonder how much longer this pack is going to last. The first time it recalced was the first time I climbed the tehachapi grade with the car.

Coming home, the car only got 50 mpg. This was mainly due to the fact that we spent at least an hour of the trip in stop and go traffic. If you ever go to Vegas, never leave on a Sunday!
--C. Alan[/b]

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Sounds like a force charge rather than a recal to me. You can drain the battery faster that regenerative braking or the normal "trickle" charge can recover.

A recal appears spontaneously not necessairly in relation to a sustained IMA battery load.

See the old thread:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... fdd3075a64

for more that you probably want top know about the IMA system. <g>

HTH! :)

G

·
0 Posts
Hi C.Alan:

___The family and I were on the strip just 2 Sunday’s evenings ago and it was a nightmare …

___In regards to your Insight, when climbing the pass, I would highly recommend that you not use your pack if at all possible, use your gears! It’s one thing for our little packs to assist from a light or merging onto an on ramp. It is a whole other matter to climb mountains and passes relying on it. It simply won’t last and you will not be a satisfied customer when recal’s begin to appear more and more frequently and possibly at the exact wrong time.

___For those of us in the Midwest, we are fortunate to have much cooler weather and far less elevation changes to deal with. I know Chisight has something like 50 - 60,000 on his little beauty and I have 54 on mine without ever having a recal and I don’t think either of us will because we simply don’t use the pack for much other then a small amount of regen, Autostop and ICE start, as well as a small amount of assist.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:gqzvz6gk][email protected][/email:gqzvz6gk]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
xcel said:
___In regards to your Insight, when climbing the pass, I would highly recommend that you not use your pack if at all possible, use your gears! It’s one thing for our little packs to assist from a light or merging onto an on ramp. It is a whole other matter to climb mountains and passes relying on it. It simply won’t last and you will not be a satisfied customer when recal’s begin to appear more and more frequently and possibly at the exact wrong time.
Normaly, I don't use the pack for pass climbing. My car climbs the Tehachapi grade (3600 feet over 35 miles) every day. For that climb, I normaly drop it into 3rd, and find a truck to hide behind, and scoot my way up the hill with minimal pack use.

However, the grade west of Los Vegas surprised me. I tried to climb the hill in 3rd, but it still kept using the pack. I eventualy dropped it int second, and managed to maintain 55 mph. I belive the grade is at least 10 miles at 6%.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi C.Alan:

___Sorry, I made some assumptions including that you own a 5-speed …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:86pvtml0][email protected][/email:86pvtml0]

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
C.Alan, what year is your car? I think the older vehicles will for some reason recall after some certain minutes in auto stop, like sitting on the vegas strip. I think this issue was addressed with the ECM recall. This issue came up between a friend who has a 01 and I did an experiment and left mine in auto stop for a half hour once with the radio going. It drained the IMA battery to about half but did not recall once restarted.

Of course the heat and creep and stop conditions aren't the best for the IMA pack either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts