Honda Insight Forum banner

381 - 400 of 427 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
t.y. mudder,
glad i asked. had no idea the arduino could be at issue for such. yeah, as i posted sometime past, ' my connections are micro crimps. , so very possible compromised. ill check voltage with my dmm tomorrow.

·
Registered
59 Posts
voltage tests for all connections 13,12,11, 6 (i corrected it, the pink) and 5, all post 4.6 volts.
?is that -+ exceeding the levels?
mudder or trin' bee let me know.
t.y.
apollos

·
Registered
857 Posts
voltage tests for all connections 13,12,11, 6 (i corrected it, the pink) and 5, all post 4.6 volts.
?is that -+ exceeding the levels?
mudder or trin' bee let me know.
t.y.
apollos
With the IMA bypass installed, if you're getting P1643, then the most likely cause is that you haven't hooked QBATT up correctly (it's the pink wire). Use a DMM to verify that the voltage on the PNK wire is ~2.5 volts (if you have a "true RMS" meter, then you should use the AC mode). I suspect you'll measure ~5 volts on QBATT, which is why you're getting said code.
Mudder already had an answer for you. Most likely you have the # 6 wired incorrectly.

Best to open your own thread instead keep replying here.

·
Registered
59 Posts
t.y. tryin' bee, no, as i had related, #6, (pink) which had actually not connected, i repaired and is outputting.
i'm only now requesting voltages, cos my mm, posts all connections (13,12,11,6,5) are posting 4.6 volts. (exception #'vin,(yellow/blk) posts 11.66 volts.)
is such within allowable spec?

·
Registered
857 Posts
t.y. tryin' bee, no, as i had related, #6, (pink) which had actually not connected, i repaired and is outputting.
i'm only now requesting voltages, cos my mm, posts all connections (13,12,11,6,5) are posting 4.6 volts. (exception #'vin,(yellow/blk) posts 11.66 volts.)
Arduino can only output digitally (on/off). Which means 0v or 5v is what you'll ever get from the Arduino outputs without additional hardware.

Again, you should open your own thread regarding to whatever issue you're having.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Is your IMA battery dead weight? Want to remove it completely?
youtu.be/c9OZLoJG4RU

Watch this video if you're looking to:
-remove your IMA battery, &
-keep your 12 volt battery charged, &
-trick the car into thinking everything is peachy in IMA-land

Here is the latest schematic and code.

Notes:
-Battery Malfunction Light will (temporarily) come on each time you exceed ~4000 rpm... light will turn off once RPM drops down. If you don't want that behavior, you'll need to install an aftermarket DCDC converter (as discussed elsewhere).
-Standard USA EPA Caveat: FOR OFF-ROAD USE ONLY
-Both code versions are now updated to use same pinout. See new schematic for more information.
I just watched the video to bypass the IMA. I cant solder and am wondering if you would build me one of those for my off road insight. I have removed the IMA 'a year ago' but now I need to smog it and I cant with the engine light on. I will be glad to pay you and I am sure I can plug it in correctly from your vid. Joe

·
Registered
59 Posts
t.y tryin' bee for the response, however, this voltage i recorded isnot from the arduino connection. rather at the wire connection itself. so if anyone knows the voltage 'at wire, appreciate the info. (as stated above postings, 4.6v

(reason for post here, most arduino, issues in his thread)

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
here's an option. no need for soldering. if you have wiring experience, these 'micro connectors,' (male for the 2.4cm female socket on mini boards) circumvent any soldering issues. (tool available ee..baaaah) if that is an direction you'd like to go, let me know, ill mail you the connectors, (no charge, i have lots)

Attachments

·
Registered
857 Posts
I just watched the video to bypass the IMA. I cant solder and am wondering if you would build me one of those for my off road insight. I have removed the IMA 'a year ago' but now I need to smog it and I cant with the engine light on. I will be glad to pay you and I am sure I can plug it in correctly from your vid. Joe
PM sent.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Does anything change if I want to delete my DC-DC converter and install a meanwell PSU instead? Do I just not hook up the wires to the stock DC-DC?

I basically just want to get rid of the lights and the artificial redline.

·
Registered
524 Posts
You need an Arduino bypass to keep the dummy lights off. The Meanwell removes the 4000 RPM 12V charging cutoff.

·
Registered
284 Posts
You need an Arduino bypass to keep the dummy lights off. The Meanwell removes the 4000 RPM 12V charging cutoff.
Yeah I figured that. I’m just curious if this program on the arduino will remove the lights, AND give me the higher RPM redline? Even though the factory dc-dc is no longer there?

·
Registered
524 Posts
I may be wrong on this, but there's something in the DC-DC itself that cuts off at a certain voltage. The 12V then draws power from the IMA battery until the RPMs come back down. Since the IMA battery isn't there to provide power, the battery light will come on because the 12V can't charge.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Yeah I figured that. I’m just curious if this program on the arduino will remove the lights, AND give me the higher RPM redline? Even though the factory dc-dc is no longer there?
Yes, Arduino tells the ECU IMA battery is near empty so the ECU allows higher redline and no CEL or IMA light.

12v battery light and brake light over 4000rpm is a DC to DC issue, meanwell PSU can fix that.

·
Registered
2000 MT
24 Posts
Just tried to upload the code to a new arduino nano every, having an error code,
Arduino: 1.8.10 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino Nano Every, ATMEGA328"

C:\Users\NewUser\Documents\IMA_Bypass_Arduino_Code_20190416\IMA_Bypass_Arduino_Code_20190416\IMA_Bypass_20190409\IMA_Bypass_20190409.ino: In function 'void bangbit(bool)':

IMA_Bypass_20190409:71:30: error: cannot convert 'bool' to 'PinStatus' for argument '2' to 'void digitalWrite(pin_size_t, PinStatus)'

digitalWrite(MOTFSBpin,jj); //set data

^

exit status 1
cannot convert 'bool' to 'PinStatus' for argument '2' to 'void digitalWrite(pin_size_t, PinStatus)'

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

I suspect that I just need to adjust that one line for the proper pin output?

·
Linsight Designer
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #396
4.6 volts is certainly within spec... the G1's ECM 'sees' any voltage above 3.05 volts as a logical HIGH (i.e. Vih(min)=3.05). The reason you're seeing 4.6 volts is likely due to Arduino's simple linear voltage regulator. Worry not, though, 4.6 volts is more than healthy.

·
Linsight Designer
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #397
I may be wrong on this, but there's something in the DC-DC itself that cuts off at a certain voltage. The 12V then draws power from the IMA battery until the RPMs come back down. Since the IMA battery isn't there to provide power, the battery light will come on because the 12V can't charge.
This is correct... it's the DCDC itself that disables 12 volt charging above 4k RPM... replacing the OEM DCDC with an aftermarket DCDC doesn't require any additional changes to the Arduino hardware or code.

·
Linsight Designer
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #398
In function 'void bangbit(bool)':
cannot convert 'bool' to 'PinStatus' for argument '2' to 'void digitalWrite(pin_size_t, PinStatus)'

digitalWrite(MOTFSBpin,jj); //set data
That's an odd error. The compiler is telling you that it can't write a boolean value ('jj') to a function that's expecting a boolean input. That makes no sense. It's like two strangers meeting on a train, and while they both speak fluent English, they can't figure out how to say "hello" to each other... it happens, but it just doesn't make sense.

I suspect your Arduino compiler isn't installed properly. To troubleshoot, let's see if the compiler can handle this code:

void setup()
{
pinMode(13,OUTPUT);
}

void loop()
{
bool jj=0;
digitalWrite(13,jj);
}

(to be clear, I'm telling you to create a brand new Arduino sketch and then too replace it entirely with the above test code. If you get the same error, reinstall Arduino IDE. If you don't get an error, verify your code's MD5 is 951508c3688c2ba5d665d824318b55a5
Note that the above code isn't useful for any reason other than troubleshooting (unless you want to pull pin 13 low forever).

·
Registered
2000 MT
24 Posts
That's an odd error. The compiler is telling you that it can't write a boolean value ('jj') to a function that's expecting a boolean input. That makes no sense. It's like two strangers meeting on a train, and while they both speak fluent English, they can't figure out how to say "hello" to each other... it happens, but it just doesn't make sense.

I suspect your Arduino compiler isn't installed properly. To troubleshoot, let's see if the compiler can handle this code:

void setup()
{
pinMode(13,OUTPUT);
}

void loop()
{
bool jj=0;
digitalWrite(13,jj);
}

(to be clear, I'm telling you to create a brand new Arduino sketch and then too replace it entirely with the above test code. If you get the same error, reinstall Arduino IDE. If you don't get an error, verify your code's MD5 is 951508c3688c2ba5d665d824318b55a5
Note that the above code isn't useful for any reason other than troubleshooting (unless you want to pull pin 13 low forever).
A possible bad install is highly suspect for me seeing how the drivers did not install correctly the first time. I will try again Monday when I get back to work. Thank you for the response.

·
Registered
2000 MT
24 Posts
Okay, fresh install of the arduino and bam, similar error code for the test code above. While I am fairly tech savvy, and very vehicle savvy, this basic programming stuff is still over my head.

EDIT: I am looking into pulling that MD5 data now to verify, It does upload any time changes correctly to the blink program correctly but I am sure that is not exactly attempting to do the same thing, but at least I think hardware side I am okay.

Edit 2: I looked briefly for that MD5 data, no avail, side thought, are the pins correct and interchangeable from an uno to the nano? would it be as simple as that pin location is unable to output the specified command?

Edit 3: I freshly installed on my home PC and still get the same error, I am even more highly suspect of the new nano every being on built on the megaAVR instead of the standard AVR boards. I was able to get some more information on this and I will be reading more on this programming stuff (actually fun) and cross posting on the arduino forum for a possible solution (I'm guessing it is a library issue)

Arduino: 1.8.10 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino Nano Every, ATMEGA328"

C:\Users\NewUser\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_modified_sketch_929048\sketch_nov18a.ino: In function 'void loop()':

sketch_nov18a:9:19: error: cannot convert 'bool' to 'PinStatus' for argument '2' to 'void digitalWrite(pin_size_t, PinStatus)'

digitalWrite(13,jj);

^

exit status 1

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

381 - 400 of 427 Posts