Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been driving my new 2004 silver 5 speed Insight for several weeks and really like everything except the autostop function. Most of my driving is freeway so I doubt that the autostop feature saves me much in terms of gas mileage. I don't care the feature and certainly don't want to keep the A/C on full time to disable autostop. Is there any way to disable Autostop?

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Fotophil:

___I don’t know about temperatures in the 40’s or above personally but if you are currently driving in freezing temps, just let the climate control run when you come to a stop. It won’t Autostop in most cases in my short time behind the wheel. I always shut the climate control off before coming to a complete stop to enable Autostop.

___In all temps including a more moderate and/or the summer, the FAQ - Climate Control post by Rick should give you exactly what you want …
Auto button: This is a set it and forget it type mode. Hit auto and adjust the temperature and the car will take care of the rest. In auto mode auto stop will not take place as creature comfort takes priority.
___To keep from running the Climate Control in Auto continuously, you can just tap the Auto button before an impending stop and go back to Econ A/C On or Off after you accelerate away from the light or sign. A bit more manual work then you would expect but you are moving away from the design of the vehicle.

___This might help as well … From the Knowledge Base --> Problems --> Common Issues:
Q: Auto Idle Stop is not functioning for me. What is wrong?

A: If your Insight is never entering idle stop mode, this could be due to any number of reasons. Here are some things you might want to check:

“Are you pressing the clutch all the way to the floor and/or shifting into neutral? If you immediately shift into first when coming to a stop, this will make the car think you want to go again right away, and the engine will never shut off.”
___From the above, if you immediately shift into first when coming to a stop, it should disable Autostop for the duration of your actual stop at the light or sign.

___I hope someone else has an even better idea to help you meet your exact needs.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:2lzf1e2d][email protected][/email:2lzf1e2d]

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
disable autostop

fotophil,

you could just keep the car in first whenever you stop. Or unplug the ambient temperature sensor (but that might affect something in the fuel management).

But may I ask why you don't like the feature? In what way does it bother you?

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm rather confused why you would want to disable this feature. The Auto Stop feature goes beyond improving gas milage. When the engine is stopped you are not producing exhaust gasses, which are worst at idle, so you are not contributing to air polution.

Here's what I'm thinking. You don't like the fact the car becomes extremely silent when stopped, so you accidently turn the key to get going again. Or, You are trying to drag race off the line when the light changes, thereby saving presious milliseconds if you weren't in auto stop mode. Or, you have an amp sucking all of the juice out of your battery requiring the engine to be running to keep the tunes going? Or, you think the car is off so you let the clutch out while in gear and you start buckobronk riding in front of the grocery store and you are embarrased?

I'm sure there is a logical reason you want this disabled, wanna share? :wink:

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,896 Posts
If you don't want idle stop...........Just give a little pressure on the gas pedal and AutoStop will go away. :twisted:

·
Registered
334 Posts
I noticed on my insight the auto stop feature shuts off the engine when I depress the brake pedal while coasting to a stop. This is with the car in gear or neutral and the clutch pedal engaged.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got used to autostop - it's O:K

Thanks for all of your tips regarding my question on autostop. It is a strange feeling but now I am used to it so I'll use it!!

The Insight is a wonderful little car - I only wish I had purchased it many miles ago!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
http://www.insightcentral.net/encyclope ... estop.html

i can see the merit in inhibiting autostop. for instance, imagine entering the parking lot of your typical large grocery store, where there is an inlet road that opens up into the parking lot, or Ts at a curb/island at the border of the parking lot.

having autostop activate as you're slowing down preparing to turn left or right is perhaps inappropriate for that situation. either keep it in 2nd gear with your foot away from the clutch pedal, or if that is not so much an option, try to keep a bit of pressure on the gas, as another poster suggested.

as for downshifting into first, i suppose that's a matter of personal preference. i never downshift into first, but i would not assume to make a sweeping generalization that it is always bad for every car, assuming you attempt to execute a proper downshift.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My biggest problem with autostop: when I go to meetings downtown and have to park in underground garages which don't allow you to park yourself. I get out of the car, look the attendant in the eye, and say "it's still running -- don't turn the key."

Then I walk away quickly -- I'm sure they still grind the starter of my baby to little splinters...

MF

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
If you want to disable autostop put it in reverse (while you're stopped, then back to neutral, it will not shut off until you go over 10 MPH, it works in mine> :D

·
Registered
344 Posts
Autostop working too well????

I think I have a different problem or problems. My auto-stop function kills the engine at a stop sign or light even when I leave it in gear (sometimes).It seems to occur on days around 85-90 degrees. It auto restarts when I shift it into first. I haven't found any info here or in the owner's manual about this. I have only had the car about 6 weeks. It is a 2000 5-speed. It has had the ECM updated then replaced under recall. I can see a noticeable decrease in the mileage at that time on the previous owner's spreadsheet. Do I need to request the 04 Flash when I take it in this Friday for the wiring harness recall?

Thanks,
Mike
2000 5-speed
dealer AC
74,500 miles
62.5 lmpg
62.5 mpg

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
For MikeF

"I'm sure they still grind the starter "

I have not tried it in auto-stop but I have while the engine is running:
turning the key will not do anything. Some current is cut to the accesories like radio
No grind , no starter.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Re: Autostop working too well????

For LoNOx 1:

It's normal auto stop behavior when it self restarts. :)

There have been several reports of lower MPG after the ECM update. Others that say they see no difference. It may be a short term "relearning" issue in that the ECM learns some fuel control values.

Also there may be some external variation causing the loss. Dealerships are notorious for incorrectly lowering tire pressure.

AFAIK you got the most recent "flash" during the recall. Honda is much different than most other car manufacturers especially in this regard.

HTH! :)

For MikeF:

I guess everybody else is going to let you get away with the "grinding the starter" bit. How do you grind an IMA motor starter anyway?

<VBG>

·
Registered
102 Posts
Okay, once again I learned something. I guess I'm so paranoid after driving "normal" cars that I never risked turning the key while the engine was running. Or not running, so to speak.

I still don't like the idea of leaving my baby with a garage attendant who won't understand why it's not making noise. I'll try Calpod's suggestions to keep the 3-cyl turning over before I walk away...

Thanks,

MF

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm sure there is a logical reason you want this disabled, wanna share? ?
Starting the engine is by far the most stressful part of an engines life. So let's say on your daily commute, the engine starts 30 times, opposes to once. Seems logical that without autostart the engine would face less wear and tear, therefore last longer with less issues.

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
^ I'm familiar with that idea, that starting the engine (mainly cold starts) is the most stressful. But my hunch is that it's an out-dated concept, and also not wholly applicable to the Insight autostop scenarios. I'm thinking it was more relevant 'back in the day' when engine oil wasn't as technically advanced, for one thing. Today engine oils probably provide more protection on cold starts, they probably coat engine parts better and stay there better than they used to. Add to this that the Insight has very 'light' oil and not very much of it to get circulating. And then, autostop happens only when the engine is warmed-up, so there's very little time for the oil to 'drip off' of the engine parts, so they remain protected... I doubt autostop poses any extra wear, or if there is any, it would be barely detectable. I've had engine oil analyses a few times on a car with about 240k miles, and the analyses have never shown undue wear. Not much to go on, but at least they don't show some glaring signs of wear... There's a good number of Insights around here with very high mileage - like over 300k miles. So, I really doubt autostop causing extra wear is something to be concerned about.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts