Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2000 MT Silver; 2001 MT Silver ; 2001 MT Silver (needs battery; paint worn.)
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Friends,

I was headed northbound. Out my driver side was the oncoming windshield of a south-bounder turning left; they were following too close behind another car to see me. I was about to get T-boned and never see my kids again. As I swerved right towards the stop sign and open lawn, all I could think was, "I am so sorry to do this to you!" She deserved better. I loved that car. (I know you know.) Behind the stop sign was a guy wire. Abruptly but without impact, gravity stopped us. The rear and front body are torn. The sheriff said the undercarriage looked fine. I haven't seen her yet. I climbed out and interviewed every onlooker. No one could be a witness. I was fine. Back's a bit sore.

She saved my life, and I took hers.

Tomorrow I get her out of the tow yard in Chapel Hill, NC. I have a parts car already (from NC. It's battery died and the exterior was weathered, so I parked it when I found Tom Hudson's "CreamPuff" from Milwaukee. Dream come true, Hudson's CreamPuff is gorgeous on the outside and interior, but - lovely as she is - her belly is rusty and the Bumblebee seems to be having issues (IMA/CEL/Brake lights are all on). Prolong discharge/charge didn't revive. I have to figure that out. Plus, the mechanic says my brake lines are dangerous. I WISH I knew of a first gen Insight mechanic in NC - anyone? My mechanic said he would build new ones, and splice into the lines to the tune of $600, rather than start disturbing things - like an old house - and having to remove so much just to put in new lines.. $600 is a lot, so I have been holding off and driving South Carolina. 126,000 miles. (All three are silver, MT, first gens).

South Carolina is/was the third car - the one I just killed.. Actually, it is not all that damaged. It has an intermittent IMA (been using Prolong charger/discharger), and the second gear downshift issue. 220,000 miles.

Can you advise? If I sell South Carolina, what's the value? Is it most sensible to keep her for parts, given the rarity of these cars now, even though I have an existing parts car? I have space to park her, but I am no mechanic. I have no idea how to get parts off the other one. So it's just a concept. I'd probably be better of selling South Carolina and saving for repair costs.

I think I need to move her out. I'd like to fix CreamPuff. Do I sell parts, or do people buy whole cars? I will post over there once you tell me how.

I waited twenty years to have a silver Honda Insight first gen. I was thrilled to get Hudson's car. I bought South Carolina as a backup car, and for my son. I'd rather have one good one.

Thanks for the advice,

Cecelia
2001 MT Silver

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2000 Silver M/T
1,090 Posts
I wouldn't count that car out just yet. As pictured, it appears to be in better shape than one of my Insights!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Sorry for your loss. I've never had much luck parting out a car. You'll sell a few items and be stuck with the majority. If you sell it complete it is probably not worth much. I think the best idea is to keep it as a parts car if you have space. I was given a parts car and though I kind of need to get rid of it it has been the source of so many great parts. Some large and tons of small stuff. I'm sorry I'm on the opposite side of the country and can't help.

Reactions: InsightLovr

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sorry for your loss. I've never had much luck parting out a car. You'll sell a few items and be stuck with the majority. If you sell it complete it is probably not worth much. I think the best idea is to keep it as a parts car if you have space. I was given a parts car and though I kind of need to get rid of it it has been the source of so many great parts. Some large and tons of small stuff. I'm sorry I'm on the opposite side of the country and can't help.
Wow, glad that you survived what could have been a fatal incident. What an amazing and precarious outcome. If the tow driver was very careful extricating your Insight it may still be worth putting back on the road. First check to see if brake lines are OK, then check the integrity of the tires. Check all fluids, battery and grounds, do a test start and idle while watching the gauges. Finally, take her out for a test drive to see if she still drives straight down the road. Others will add anything I have missed. Hoping to hear a positive outcome.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Hi Cecelia just saw this. So sorry to hear and glad you're OK. That picture is insane. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do! I agree with the others - if you have room, keep as many parts cars as you can.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No clue what it's worth, but I'm willing to sell for $1,000 so I can fix my creampuff.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am getting out. I have too many other loves (horses, spouse projects, home, kids). A car comes fourth or fifth. I need my vehicle to function and work hard for me. The Insight doesn't do mountains well, is not visible enough to other drivers, and is too high-maintenance. So, I am selling all three. I fell in love with the look - have always been honest about that. But looks only go so far. I plan to sell the lot for enough so I can buy a used car (e,g, Scion xB). A local young fellow is interested. He spoke up first. I will see what we can work out. If not, I will post them here. I need to buy a reliable, fuel-efficient, maintainable, and visible vehicle. I will not pirate parts piecemeal; the three go together for now. More details to follow. All three have IMA light on intermittently or full time. All are Silver, MT, 2001 or 2000. Tom Hudson's has CD player, armrest, great body, underbelly rust from northern climes. I'll get all the records and post them after I talk to the local fellow who is interested. Thanks everyone. I will do the tests suggested above.

·
Super Moderator
9,253 Posts
If Insights are 4-5 on your priority list, you are probably wise to get out. These cars are, at this phase of their life, best in the hands of committed Insight Geeks.;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If Insights are 4-5 on your priority list, you are probably wise to get out. These cars are, at this phase of their life, best in the hands of committed Insight Geeks.;)
This was the reply that helped me over the hurdle. It's true. Much as I love this little car, I cannot prioritize it. Low maintenance and easy keeper is how I roll. The young local fellow and I met today, and he agreed to buy them all. I hope he has a ton of fun getting them all rolling in tip top shape. Bye sweet creampuff. Thanks Tom Hudson for my dream come true. She's on to another dreamer - one who can dig into that 2015 Bumblebee and get it humming. Many thanks to this group. What an honor to be in your company for a little while. - Cecelia/Celia in NC STAY SAFE, DRIVE DEFENSIVELY, SILVER DRIVERS, REMEMBER, YOU ARE INVISIBLE!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts