Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing the "free new battery" lottery for a while and finally got the IMA light to come on. Not sure if this would result in a new battery or $50 charge to clear the code, I read the service manual about reading the IMA codes. I talks about grounding the SCS line in the ODBII connector and the counting the IMA light flashes to get the code. Well it worked. Here's how you can do it..

0. If you don't have the service manual, don't bother. Without being able to look up the codes and see what it means, you'll just be wasting time.
1. Key off.
2. Locate the OBDII port.(honda calls it the DLC) in '00 & '01 it is in front of the center console on the passenger side.
3. Locate pin 9. In '00 & '01 models it the uppermost towards the rear. There is also a very small '9' next to it.
4. Put the end of a paper clip or similar sized wire in the hole next to it.
5. Clip a jump on that wire and to the chassis ground. The bracket the OBDII port is mounted on is good. It should look like this

6. Key on (Don't start the car, just turn it on)
7. On the dash, the IMA, EPS, ABS, SRS and CEL/MIL will all flash any stored codes. It will flash longs flashes for the Tens digit and short flashes for last digit. Pause. and repeat. (example: if your IMA light flashes Long-long-long-long-long-long-long-short-short-short-short-short-short-short then you have code 77 which is "battery module deterioration" and you could be getting a new battery.) If multiple codes are stored then it will flash out the first code, then the next code, so on and then repeat. It's not real easy to read the code(s), so after you think you have it, double check.
8. Turn the key off and remove the wires.

This will not clear any stored codes. Some subsystems (i.e. the IMA) can be cleared by disconnecting the battery or pulling fuse 18. Others require the use of a scanner. The CEL/MIL codes are not the standard P-codes, they are honda-specific numbers listed in the service manual.

Have fun.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey flunkysama,
What do mean by "free new battery" lottery? I'm just curious because mine has 115,000 and honda thinks it might need a new battery.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
snowboardsteez said:
Hey flunkysama,
What do mean by "free new battery" lottery? I'm just curious because mine has 115,000 and honda thinks it might need a new battery.
I thought the Joke was rather obvious, but I'll spell it out...

If your battery fails under warantee, honda will replace it free. "Failure" to honda is defined as having the IMA/BCM determine the battery "has degraded" and turn on the IMA light. Some people (like me) have frequent recals and other problems without the IMA light ever coming on. Some people seem to have no problems when the IMA determines the battery has degraded. So, in that aspect it seems random, kinda like a lottery.

I get spam for fake lotteries all the time. I was also playing off that thinking most other people get that kind of spam too.

·
Registered
473 Posts
flunkysama said:
If your battery fails under warantee, honda will replace it free. "Failure" to honda is defined as having the IMA/BCM determine the battery "has degraded" and turn on the IMA light. Some people (like me) have frequent recals and other problems without the IMA light ever coming on. Some people seem to have no problems when the IMA determines the battery has degraded. So, in that aspect it seems random, kinda like a lottery.
Just a bit off topic, but you touched on something there that I'm currently in the middle of.

Do you know what the failure mode is when the IMA warning indicator light illuminates? Mine did the other day, followed by a Check Engine light. This all occured in the middle of what I think was the first re-calibration I've had since purchasing the vehicle used. It's at the dealer right now being looked at.

I wish I had seen your post before I took it in. While I trust my dealer, I would have liked to have known the code before I took it in.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
devin1955 said:
Do you know what the failure mode is when the IMA warning indicator light illuminates? Mine did the other day, followed by a Check Engine light. This all occured in the middle of what I think was the first re-calibration I've had since purchasing the vehicle used. It's at the dealer right now being looked at.
When the IMA light comes on, the problem can be in any part of the IMA system. Anything from a loose wire to a failed module to a bad battery.

Get the service manual, go to the IMA section, go through the diagnostic flowcharts. Most end with module replacement and include all the parts that make up the IMA subsystem.

Judging by posts to the this forum, the most common is a bad battery. But that in no way guarantees that your problem is a bad battery.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks for posting this! I attached an alligator clip to one end of a thin wire and was able to read my CEL code (cat not working efficiently). This is a lot better than paying $50+ at a dealer or running by AutoZone.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Just remember that the Honda "blink" codes do NOT have a direct OBDII equivalent. They'll put you in the ballpark but will make diagnosis more difficult.

With that said the IMA, EPS & ABS aren't OBDII so this _IS_ how to read those codes. But use caution. Mis connecting this jumper can cause blown fuses or worse. :(

HTH! :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
If I want to invest in a scanner instead of using the paper clip method will the following do the job? It is very affordable and says it reads the codes and clears them. My eyes are not as good as they use to be and finding the number 9 hole may be a challenge. Thanks for any input. I am a newbie 2001 Insight CVT owner who just had the IMA light come on.

OBD2 Scanner Car Diagnostic Code Reader - Tmart

·
vote 4 mawah
293 Posts
If I want to invest in a scanner instead of using the paper clip method will the following do the job? It is very affordable and says it reads the codes and clears them. My eyes are not as good as they use to be and finding the number 9 hole may be a challenge. Thanks for any input. I am a newbie 2001 Insight CVT owner who just had the IMA light come on.

OBD2 Scanner Car Diagnostic Code Reader - Tmart
Almost all code readers work the same, some give more then others especially with IMA code. But the paper clip + insight shop manual will tell you about twice as much as a basic scanner will show.
For most, the paper clip method is overkill, especially if one just wants to clear everything and start fresh, just like disconnecting the 12v battery.
But if interested in what is really happening with the car, the blink codes are the easiest way to get as much data with as little fuss as possible.
in my opinion anyways.

·
Registered
175 Posts
so ive got the blink code technique down but its nothing but a number until translated and cant seem to find a copy of blink codes, other than IMA codes available at 99 mpg. if anyone has a copy available for desktop or what have you please let me know.

current lotto numbers...

CEL 69
EPS 23

if anyone can translate these that would be a wonder, thanks

sure to be more down the line im sure...

cheers

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
I can't remember what the codes are, what they mean, but I seem to recall they're sometimes triggered with IMA and/or 12V battery issues. I think the 69 might be ABS-related... Pretty sure these are 2 of the few that my car had lit when i bought the car many moons ago. And I think I got them again once when my 12V battery was running down when the DC-DC had tripped off, and that was due to this weird quirk that happens sometimes when you push a weak IMA pack; often times the battery and brake warning lights will come on, the DC-DC conks out, and once in a blue moon you'll get a P1586 code. And somewhere in there, when the 12V battery is running down, the EPS and ABS codes can get triggered...

I have this written down for resetting ABS codes. As I recall you don't need the 'HDS' device, but you just short the two correct terminals on the OBDII port:
"Reset ABS blink codes:
1. With the ignition switch OFF, connect the HDS to the 16P data link connector (DLC) (A).
2. Short the SCS circuit to body ground using the HDS.
3. Press the brake pedal.
4. Turn the ignition switch ON (II) while continuing to press the brake pedal.
5. After the ABS indicator goes off, release the brake pedal.
6. After the ABS indicator comes on, press the brake pedal again.
7. After the ABS indicator goes off, release the brake pedal.
8. After a few seconds, the ABS indicator blinks twice and the DTC is cleared. If the indicator does not blink twice, repeat steps 1 thru 7 . If the ABS indicator stays on after it blinks twice, check the DTC, because a problem was detected during initial diagnosis before shifting to DTC clearing mode.
9. Turn the ignition switch OFF.
10. Disconnect the HDS from the DLC."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all !
I'm new here and live in France.
I have a 2001 insight and have and IMA light on recently.
I have read your tip to read the ima code but I think I don't have the same DLC plug as I have only 5 wires on it and not 7 as in the 2nd and 3rd pictures above. I don't have any wire on the "9" hole mentioned.

I've tried this tip too (http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/problems-troubleshooting/18505-reading-vehicle-error-blink-codes.html and http://99mpg.com/mikestips/readingtheblinkcod) and it doesn't work because I don't have any wire behind the 2 holes mentioned.....

Any idea please ? can you confirm which wire I have to join to ground ?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Here's the latest link with all visible sub-sheets listed:
OBDII CODES DTC SHEET for 2000-2006 HONDA INSIGHT (ZE1)
https: //docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bLUyuFXWywH0PIzTXYtT6UprBNkOtjnWh5PFKjDFylA/pubhtml
[from 2005 manual .pdf from .zip files and IC posts]

welcome sebastm,
Unfortunately the info in above links relates to USA/Cda wiring in particular.
I'll update the spreadsheet with a cell for the euro specific pinout information if it's posted.:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts