Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Q. Can a window motor be removed from a Honda Insight Gen1 with the window stuck in the "up" position?

Background:
Pursuant to my successful replacement of broken OEM driver's side power window switch, a mere seven months after it first failed, I discovered that the motor fails to respond to signals from the now (at least mechanically) operating switch.

I don't believe that the motor has failed, and I am eager to try to take it apart and see if cleaning it might help as talonmike has done and like this guy.

The problem is that the window is inoperative in the nearly "up" position; close enough that I was able to fill the void with "pipe insulation" (the kind with the pre-cut slit for installing over hot-water pipes) and taping it in place.

All the replacement vids I've seen talk about "lowering the window" to get at the bolts. The one video I've found talks about "cutting the cable" to get the regulator assembly out "because it's going to be replaced anyway." Well, maybe not. The doggone things run over 100 bucks w/shipping.

Thus, my question.

Thank you for any helps.
--
Benny

·
Registered
159 Posts
And this thread shows how to resuscitate the window motor:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well if the motor is good just apply power directly to the motor wiring
Even if there's no action, I'm not going to give up on it until I've taken it apart and inspected it. It might be that it just oxidized in place from not being used for so long. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the same issue Benny.

See post#28 here
(@geo, did you know you can right-click on the '#28' and copy a link straight to that post?; like:
Driver's side power window motor replacement )

THAT is EXACTLY what I had hoped to see! Thank you for taking the extra time to take photos and post.

(Incidentally, regarding your post#29 in same thread: I've never seen ANYTHING like that solution proposed ANYWHERE, oh Brave One! Looking on Amazon now for a set of those "soft" wrenches. :^) )

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And this thread shows how to resuscitate the window motor:

An excellent reference, in large part due to your addenda. Thank you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts