Super Moderator
5,337 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,337 Posts

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
FWIW after talking with KJ I feel I know her a bit more, while it is easy to do some of this stuff there is the reality that not everyone wants to be fiddling with charging the car and such, in some cases it's just best to not deal with that part of it and move on. All that just to say yes it can be possibly brought up to standards but there's nothing wrong with not having that added to one's already full plate of things to do, in addition to not wanting to adopt the grid charge life.

Sounds like this Mark will get the car and keep it on the road. Win for all.

·
7,257 Posts
Wow, those seats look great! The seats are often one of the most worn things in the cabin. It sounds like the new owner will have found a great car, even with the fairly high miles. :)

Reactions: 290945

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was gonna move on this just to save it from the junkyard but apparently someone else is in line who doesn't own an Insight so I'm going to let them have first dibs.
As a newbie G1 owner (less than a year), I appreciate this sentiment. There are still people out there who want to join the club! I really appreciate this forum and all its idiosyncrasies, including the ever-rarer trait of general consideration for others........

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi! I'm looking for advice.

I've got a 2003 automatic Insight that I purchased back in 2006. It has been a great car with no major problems until now. The IMA light stays on which keeps the check engine light on. My mechanic tells me it's the big battery, and says to replace it would be almost $5,000. He says that is worth way more than the car. (I had the original battery replaced in 2008 - but it was still just barely under warranty, so it was free. Whew!) It will not pass inspection with the check engine light on, so by May 31st I cannot officially drive it anymore. It is time to move it on.

It has been a hard working car. I have over 326,000 miles on it. It has a few scratches. There's a paint stain on the carpet area of the hatch. The seats show their wear. I know it isn't worth a lot, and the local "Pull-A-Part" junk dealer says they'll give me $350 for it.

Does anyone have a suggestion of where I might get a little more for it? I'm in Kernersville, NC by the way.

Thanks!
~KJ View attachment 90298
Hi! I'm looking for advice.

I've got a 2003 automatic Insight that I purchased back in 2006. It has been a great car with no major problems until now. The IMA light stays on which keeps the check engine light on. My mechanic tells me it's the big battery, and says to replace it would be almost $5,000. He says that is worth way more than the car. (I had the original battery replaced in 2008 - but it was still just barely under warranty, so it was free. Whew!) It will not pass inspection with the check engine light on, so by May 31st I cannot officially drive it anymore. It is time to move it on.

It has been a hard working car. I have over 326,000 miles on it. It has a few scratches. There's a paint stain on the carpet area of the hatch. The seats show their wear. I know it isn't worth a lot, and the local "Pull-A-Part" junk dealer says they'll give me $350 for it.

Does anyone have a suggestion of where I might get a little more for it? I'm in Kernersville, NC by the way.

Thanks!
~KJ View attachment 90298
Bumblebee Batteries in Calif. They are very reasonable, and will ship the battery to you or your mechanic. I have purchased 3 batteries from Bumblebee Batteries and have been very satisfied.

·
Registered
27 Posts
1974 I started fixing cars.

In 2019, a year after getting my little Buddy, my Insight’s IMA light started coming on.

The first trick, I read here, was to disconnect the little battery up front in the engine compartment for a few minutes. That clears the computer. And the light went out on my car.

Then, a month later, the light came back on. So I read some more here. Grid charger was the next step.

I found one on eBay for $156. Then the charger arrived and terror set in. Something completely new to install.

I had the algorithm of how-to in my head and a very scary 144 danger sicker on the big in the back battery. Power off. Ok. Taking the cover off and other bits, was basic ‘changing a tire’ sort of unbolting. Then the tricky part.

My hands are almost too big to attach the couple wires in the car. If I had smaller hands it would have been as easy as changing an old plug 🔌 on a lamp.

When I plugged the charger, to the car bit I installed, turned it on, the built in meter said my battery was at 164v. 174v is a happy battery. 18 hours later 174v. No IMA light since.

I’d try a grid charger, after first a quick disconnect of the little up front battery, to see if the IMA light goes out, and stays out for a bit. Then there is hope the big battery can be brought back to life.

So a grid charger and a basic mechanic, with smaller hands, and hopefully the battery will charge up to 174v and balance out.

If not you can keep the charger for your replacement big battery, or add the cost of the charger to the sale price. Think of the gas savings and joy over time and even a new big battery will pay for itself.

Cold chews at rechargeable batteries, as well as disuse. A grid charger can do so much over the life of these little gems. I hope all that you’ve read here helps keeps your little friend on the road.

Take care and enjoy one of the lowest emitting vehicles on the planet, even less than the 5sp version!

·
7,257 Posts
Good advice ^^

Though one minor correction - it's hot that batteries(all batteries) don't like, from a degradation standpoint. Cold is good. Places like AZ, SoCal and Texas eat batteries alive compared to the northern latitudes. We very, very rarely see any original batteries from the south anymore, but we're still replacing original batteries that are 18-21 years old up here fairly regularly.

Which is pretty amazing when you think about it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Interesting. The icy cold of winter made me think it was draining my battery, the mpg also goes down in winter. My guess is now it’s the less driving, when the snow is higher than the bottom of the doors, the sitting unused bit, that drains the battery. I’m guessing the mpg drop in winter is due to the engine not getting warm enough to flip into lean burn. Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,421 Posts
Please include your Location in your Profile, as ALL G1 Insighters have done.
Thank You

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Please include your Location in your Profile, as ALL G1 Insighters have done.
Thank You
It says in my first post Kernersville, NC. Sorry if I didn't post the location where you wanted it. It would have been nice if you had taken the time to use a slightly kinder tone in your post. It almost makes me glad that I'm selling my Insight. I will delete my profile from this site so you won't have to be offended by my lack of proper protocol.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,421 Posts
Where did that come from? I apoligize for anything that I said that got you upset. By putting your Location in your Profile, you will never have to answer that question again as it will show up when anyone hovers over your avatar.
I explained in the original post to add your location, and WHY to add it.
I guess I should have said "please post". Again SORRY for the misunderstanding.
Thank you.
Willie

·
Super Moderator
9,001 Posts
It says in my first post Kernersville, NC. Sorry if I didn't post the location where you wanted it. It would have been nice if you had taken the time to use a slightly kinder tone in your post. It almost makes me glad that I'm selling my Insight. I will delete my profile from this site so you won't have to be offended by my lack of proper protocol.
We're sorry :(

I'm sure Willie didn't mean to be condescending. It is a standard message he has canned to encourage folks to list their location in their profile. Just a short explanation. Unless your "general" location is in your profile, it doesn't show on all your posts. Yes, you gave your location in your initial post, but that doesn't help if you post in other thread, or even if folks don't read the first post. In the profile, location is displayed if you hover your cursor over the avatar. It does actually help everyone. Sorry again.

JimE

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Maybe this page should be updated?

An entry could be added there, asking people to provide their location, and how to do so. Then, it would be more official, and Willie could also link to the page when he asks people to comply.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Thank you Jime! You have always been kind and helpful. But I am selling my Insight tomorrow to Mark, so I will no longer be an appropriate person to be in this forum. I can't seem to figure out how to delete my profile however. If you know how to do so, I would truly appreciate your assistance!

·
Super Moderator
9,001 Posts
Maybe this page should be updated?
That ref is unfortunately 18 years old :(

Moderators have very little real influence over operations any longer. At time of the ref, the site was privately owned by an insight enthusiast who made the rules. The site is now owned by a corporation Verticalscope which doesn't really want us to write procedural stuff. The terms of use which the moderators had composed and used for several years was deleted by the owners a couple of years ago. They substituted a long "legalese" document from their legal department. Moderators do still have authority to enforce discipline over the site, and try to assist in the smooth flow of help - in other words, try to improve the site.

It is a long standing tradition that we try to get folks to list their "general" location in their profile so that they can possibly have help from nearby members. It helps considerably, especially when cars are offered for sale.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
In my humble opinion if there were more celebrating the fact that we're trying to maintain and save these vehicles, and less fighting over lesser issues, this sort of thing wouldn't happen. I talked to the OP for a long time when I was thinking of saving this vehicle from the junkyard a week ago, but someone else wanted it so I let it go. Katie is a great person, very nice, kind, cordial. To read that she's glad she's selling the car because of her experience here is sad. I admit I don't know the whole story but I've seen this same thing happen multiple times in the last 10 months I've been here.

Back on topic, glad the car went to an Insight lover. Mark, I think you're close to me, if you ever need help with the car I've learned some basics and might be able to assist, if you purchase an IMA and want help with install I'd be glad to wrench with you.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Its probably unhelpful, i could see myself being seen in a lesser light because of this but i feel the need to speak out: I have blocked all posts by Willie because of the incessant "please post your location" posts that are a constant annoyance in my opinion and I have contemplated leaving this forum on that basis alone as well. Although I found the block button and have since taken solace that I no longer see any of his posts. Which is a shame since he is such a valued person with a lot of knowledge. Its clearly turning people off from this forum on more than one occasion. I think that our locations are really none of anyone business except those we choose to do business with, thus i dont think anyone on this forum has any right or reason to ask someone to post their location (let alone demand).

Sucks to see someone like Katie be such a long standing fan of the car and in the midst of a 'own or sell' situation and be reinforced to sell and leave the forum due to this issue. Real shame.

Just my two useless cents.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts