Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any pictures of a factory pack,or distinctive numbers on it, I removed the cover and wanted to get some reading off the connector ,found numbers all over the place,found it hard to find a good ground tonight for the fluke multimeter. Would remove the bcm or mcm show any Honda labels under them.

·
Super Moderator
7,944 Posts
There are a couple of things you can look for as clues. At the outside of the left front mounting foot, there should be a label. The really old packs, probably all gone, the label said "Panasonic." The more recent Honda packs said "Primeearth." I think you can see the label with a flashlight.

You can also look at the color of the sticks by shining a light through the fan. All of the factory Insight packs had orange heat shrink on the sticks. Non of the major rebuilders use orange heatshrink afaik.

If you are checking the stick pair voltages, you don't want to ground your voltmeter. Use this diagram:

You want to check the voltage between the indicated connector pins backs while the connector is in place. Fluke probe tips are usually too fat to reach into the plug back. If you have a pair of cheap probes, perhaps one of the Harbor Freight $3 "specials" you can thin the probes out with a file.

·
7,141 Posts
The easiest way to tell factory vs. aftermarket is to look at the color of the heat shrink. You can peek in through the fan with a flashlight.

Honda used Orange and Yellow.

Almost all of our packs have been made with black or white heat shrink. Others have used green, blue, grey.

It's not 100% definitive - we've sent out a few packs wrapped in a shade of orange, and some other colors depending on what was available, but in general that should be the case.

·
Super Moderator
7,944 Posts
The easiest way to tell factory vs. aftermarket is to look at the color of the heat shrink. You can peek in through the fan with a flashlight.

Honda used Orange and Yellow.
But only orange in the Insight - right?

·
7,141 Posts
Nope, both orange and yellow specimens are prevalent.

OEM packs started out Orange. They switched to Yellow around 2004, and then switched back to Orange around 2009(coinciding with the switch to Primearth).

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good call. I see orange so I have the ptc strips, i did a auto stop discharge this morning than check taps after hours, they were at 5 and 6 volts that after a rev charge. Mite check again before moving on to the udd method.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think am measuring wrong...a freind said I need to measure across both sticks..probe a20 and c 7..positive to 20, black ground to c7. Do i need to switch back in opposite direction to for proper read..probly need to post new thread,,hopefully someone chim in,,I see th charts lay out and the letter chart indicates the sticks position. .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts