Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently bought a 2006 CVT insight. It came with a grid charger but I don't know how to read it or tell if it's really working. I pulled off the battery panel today and confirmed that the fan spins...so it should be charging. Here's pic of things including the charger. I'd appreciate any help that can be offered. It only has 1 button in addition to the power button.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,752 Posts
Where is your charger?
I can't see it hooked up?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll get a shot of it here shortly as well as a light bulb discharger that I'm not sure how to use

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's some additional photos. I have it hooked up right now. Its only been about 1-2 hours. I'm not sure how to tell if it's charging. I also included a picture of the discharger. I don't know where to hook it up but I need to figure out charging first.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello, I recently bought a 2006 CVT insight. It came with a grid charger but I don't know how to read it or tell if it's really working. I pulled off the battery panel today and confirmed that the fan spins...so it should be charging. Here's pic of things including the charger. I'd appreciate any help that can be offered. It only has 1 button in addition to the power button.
I don't understand the reference to a spinning fan proving anything.

If the charger is working, the battery voltage will increase slowly with time, and fall a bit immediately the charger is turned off.
In one of the pictures the display appears to be showing the batteries voltage - 166v would be a reasonable voltage to see during a charging cycle. Is this just displayed when the button is pushed?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't understand the reference to a spinning fan proving anything.

If the charger is working, the battery voltage will increase slowly with time, and fall a bit immediately the charger is turned off.
In one of the pictures the display appears to be showing the batteries voltage - 166v would be a reasonable voltage to see during a charging cycle. Is this just displayed when the button is pushed?
I assume that the battery should be getting power because the exhaust fan turns on when I turn the charger on.

166v is displayed with a quick press of the button. If I hold it down longer I get other values like the 00.2 in the first picture.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Hello Dahlink,

I'm far from an expert on this matter, but I'll take a stab at it!

The picture of your battery compartment - it sort of looks like the battery switch is turned off. That needs to be on when you are charging.

I like the warning on the foam! When the switch is on be verrry careful where you put your fingers!

The fan turning is good, you definitely need that when the battery is charging. Unfortunately, that alone does not assure that charging current is actually reaching the battery. I don't recognize that case as one of the commercially available chargers. Are there any labels on the backside?

The button appears to be switching display between voltage and amperage. If there are no other switches, I'd guess your on/off for the charger is just the other end of the power cord.

I suspect there will be folks with lots more knowledge stopping by soon!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help. I had the switch off because I took the panel off. I turned it on when I put it back together. The warning was written by a previous owner who, I presume, set it up. I left it plugged in overnight and it still shows 166 on the LED screen. I'm leaving it on for a full 24hrs and will unplug it then. From what I understand, I'll need to reset a fuse to get the car to reread the state of charge. Thanks again for the advice. Ill take any additional input that people have.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, I pulled the #18 fuse and took the car for a spin. The battery was not reading at first; which is a part of the process as I understand it. Then it slowly notched up to full. I floored it when I got to the main road and the assist went all the way up (something it didn't usually do). The battery meter also didn't drop rapidly; only 2-3 bars and during the 5-8 mile slightly uphill and against some serious wind. On the round trip the battery charged up pretty quickly (how quick is too quick?).

The battery seemed peppier. I'll see how things go on subsequent drives.

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
....I left it plugged in overnight and it still shows 166 on the LED screen. I'm leaving it on for a full 24hrs and will unplug it then.
Doesn't seem possible for a charge to have taken place if the voltage reading stayed at ~166V. Or, even if it ended at 166V and you happened to miss some kind of peak during the intervening time... As far as I know, if the charger is working, doing its thing, the voltage will rise - it must rise - and once the cells are full you'll see some voltage drop. But, I don't think I've ever seen a drop that far - down to 166V - with the charger still ON... It might drop that low if the charger charged and then turned OFF for some reason. But I haven't heard of any 'Insight grid chargers' that behave that way...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well shoot. I just don't know enough. It clearly looks like a custom charger and I have no idea how to really read it or tell if it's working. Things seems peppier but it may have just been a placebo effect.

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
well shoot. I just don't know enough. It clearly looks like a custom charger and I have no idea how to really read it or tell if it's working. Things seems peppier but it may have just been a placebo effect.
I think it's possible that a reset alone can make the IMA system behave differently - before the reset the computer can be in a 'low capacity mode', where it at least sometimes doesn't allow as much assist; after the reset, it doesn't know its in this 'low capacity mode', not yet at least... Possible you might be 'feeling' this, but I wouldn't say it's likely...

Your charger looks a bit unusual. Your second picture is too dark to really tell anything. The dangling connector probably doesn't mean anything... If you take a brighter, better picture, I might be back and able to take a closer look...

In general, though, I think you should be able to simply stick a voltmeter on the positive and negative charging leads, turn the charger ON, and read the voltage. It should probably be around something like 180V, or at least higher than about 176V... And/or, you should be able to take a voltage reading from the harness exiting the pack, write it down, then hook up the charger and turn it ON, then read the voltage again: it should be higher and it should increase - if the charger is charging...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts