Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 226 Posts

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great weather, nice rains, and the garden is coming along nicely.

Beans (in the white wire fencing), beets &radishes, storage onions, corn, asparagus in ferns, potatoes in blossom. The pics show one of the two 3' wide rows. I block plant densly. The beans and such shade out the weeds.

Should be pickin' soon !

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Nice. I got some red tomatoes, some funny shape cucumbers, japenos and bell peppers. No green beans yet. Ill see if I can get some photos soon.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Yoweee!

Nice garden! And nice buildings across the road.

In Voltaire's satire Candide, the main character roams the world for the golden Eldorado but concludes his story with the cryptic conclusion that he now wants to spend his life tending his garden.

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rhall: it's a hobby for both me and my dad, keeps us out of trouble. ;)

Cobb has red tomatoes already, nice ! It'll be a while before I have any. My granddaughter really likes the cherry tomatoes.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Ill see if I can brave the weather to get some. Its like 82 degrees and 100% humidity out. At least I got banking, shopping and breakfast out of the way. :cool:

Hanover normally beats us, but we wait til after April 1 as we get a last frost blast before spring officially starts.

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hugh:

Prep depends on what's growing there that year. I rotate most of it except the end I use for the 'taters. Taters like low ph, 5.0-6.0, some sulphur , ashes, or some peat moss helps there.

The rest is ph around 6.5. Peat moss for that (less of it). I test every 2 years (kits available at the ag store to send over to Penn State co-op).

Raised beds with some construction grade sand for good drainage. Beds are about 12" deep. Roto-till at beginning and end of season. In the fall, beans and peas roots are tilled in too, they have lots of nitrogen nodules on them. I till in maple leaves (no oak leaves, they're hi acid and don't mulch down for squat) and composted grass clippings too (in the fall).

Root crop locations (onions and such) get beefed up with hi-phosphate stuff like 5-20-20 or even some super-phosphate or bone meal.

Corn gets 19-19-19 (from a local farmer, they use that stuff regularly.) Other veggies get 10-10-10 or 10-20-20.

If ph's test too low I till in some limestone to raise it. Test results from the co-op suggests treatments for acres, I break it down to square feet.

My best year was 550 lbs from 400 sq ft. Some years aren't so good. Me and dad have a lot of fun. :D

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I was thinking about giving a bag to the dirty old man who owns dog bite. :cool:

The neighbors all got some and I left a basket on the table in the break room at work. Im eating all the peppers for myself. Helps as a natural pain re leaver.

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pickin' beans.

Was trimming yesterday and noticed some beans might be ready. Turns out they were very ready.

Wax beans. green beans. me by the corn patch (corn in silk, onions in front of me on each side, father-in-laws' dog behind me). 12 lbs of beans cut / bagged / and ready for canning tomorrow.

I can smell the ham and beans already :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Wow...... My beans are growing, but I dont have the soil for corn. The corn started to grow, but the ears were misformed and bugs took over. :mad:

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Corn likes ph around 6.5, and 10-20-20 fertilizer or better (I tried some 19-19-19 I got from a farmer this year). I don't fertilize at planting, I 'sidedress' when about knee high. Water heavy when the silks form to fill out the ears (advice from the farmers I work with).

If bugs appear, I treat the silks and cob husk.

Beans are canned and on the shelf. Looking forward to next pickin' in a few days. Need some rain for my barrels.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
VA isnt that interested in selling fertilizer with a middle number. Something about the water shed. Ive seen the middle number make stuff grow like no ones business. Miracle grow is not too bad, but its rather water down if used as directed. :cool:

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Middle number: phosphate. Some areas regulate it closely (Like the Chesapeke bay drainage region-even my area is part of it). Phosphate and potash (3rd) number are both good for 'fruit' ('maters and such) and root crop production. I think 'bonemeal' is high on the middle number AND natural. Generally accepted for use in regulated areas. Wood ashes are high in potash.

ph plays a huge role in a plants' ability to 'absorb' nutrients. Too high or low, and the nutrient just lays in ground and leaches away. Each plant group has it's own sweet spot.

·
Super Moderator
6,922 Posts
As an old farm boy, the fertilizer label goes N-P-K, nitrogen-phosphate-potassium. 19-19-19 makes the corn shine, and the leaves dark, and even field corn taste good:)

1 - 20 of 226 Posts