Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been driving my new Insight for about 6 weeks and have not been able to get over 43 mpg. I've read the posts about quick (in blue) acceleration and slow braking. I've had it on one trip and got it to 49.1 on the trip, but the whole tank of gas was only 43.15.

I do no highway driving.

but what else can I do to get my mpg up?

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
It will get better in time. First check your tire pressure and boost it a little. Make sure autostop is working at the red lights. Don't use the air conditioner. Use the cues from the MID and other gauges kinda like a game going for high score.

I do good on trips to work, to the store, and to specific venues. I often lose out on good MPG when driving in the parking lots, short distance drives, and when I get boxed in by drivers paying more attention to their cell phones than the road.

Your first oil change should give better results too. Just drive smooth and be patient.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So so in city

Hi,

I've had the I2 for 700 miles now. I've noticed two very distinct kinds of driving styles with my car.

My wife drives it during the weekend doing short little LA city trips with tons of stops. This seems to give the worst MPG for I2. Her weekly average is only about 35mpg! (She has no notion of hypermiling whatsoever. If I drive her same routes I can get 40 easy)

The second driving style we do is medium speed freeway on Pacific Coast Highway for 60 miles in each direction. If I use cruise control set at 62 mph I can EASILY get 55mpg.

So, our combined average is about 44 mpg.

There are lots of little tricks I use to get to 40 in unfriendly driving situations. You just have to learn them by watching the MID. There are so many it would be hard to write them all down. One important one I use is to feather the gas pedal when coasting so that the battery maintains my speed (on level ground or slightly downhill).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
49 Posts
:)I've been driving my I2 for 2200 miles in the UK and so far my overall average UK mpg is 52 according to the MID. This equals about 43mpg (US).

I have a 15 mile commute each morning with the first 6 miles or so being slow stop go traffic. Often the auto stop won't even function with the cold engine, de-mister and uphill/downhill terrain all conspiring against me.

When the schools are off I get a clearer run and can hit the govt figures of 60mpg(UK).

I've also been calculating the actual mpg by filling to the neck and recording distance since about the 3rd fill. This method shows about 50mpg(UK).

I'm still saving a fortune on my 21mpg Audi A6 that I had before the Insight! £80 pm instead of around £250pm!!!

:)

(conversion factor of 1USgal=0.833UKgal

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, guys.

I know I'm being impatient, but I want to get to optimum mpg asap. I'll try your suggestions.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Some things I've noted and try to do when driving to improve mpg:

1) When using cruise control on the motorway (That's Freeway in US English!) I go about 5mph past the speed I want to cruise at and then activate cruise control. Observe the real time mpg on the MID and if it decreases then I would knock the Cruise speed down 1mph and this will restore "hypermiling"mode.
2) When coming to sections of road that are slightly uphill you can counter the big increase in fuel consumption by speeding up earlier and Coasting up the hill. This works best for commuting journey's where you get to know the good spots and bad spots for fuel economy.
3) don't use the heated seats if you have them
4) knock off the AC in the mornings. If your screen is misting up give a quick blast of the dedicated front window demist button for a few seconds and that should clear it for a while.
5) dont drive with the windows down. this really increases drag.
6) make sure your tyres are at least inflated to the recommended level. some folks here have pumped them up even more and have received increases in mpg.
7) Get used to the subtle changes you can feel when the IS2 switches from charging to petrol only, to electric only to both electric & fuel modes. Make the most of every opportunity to use electric only (i.e. steady flow of traffic around 20 to 30mph.
8) Get a feel for how your IS2 behaves with autostop. In my stop go commute if the autostop is not working initially because of any one of a number of reasons, I move off the main road to a "rat-run" route so that the car can heat up and shake of its morning problems. This isn't any quicker but it does seem to give the auto stop a kick up the *** and starts it working. Start/Stop working is the difference between a 45 to 50mpg commute and a 60mpg commute (for me anyway)

I'm open to any suggestions others may have in this area. There is nothing more satisfying than making your way through a gas guzzling commute and still hitting that 60mpg marker! Well almost nothing.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just remember, electric mode saps the battery quickly and you'll have to throw away some fuel economy (in the form of extra gas used to restore momentum lost to regenerative braking) to recharge it. If you use it as a method of gaining an engine off glide and work to keep from using assist during those coasts you'll get better mileage. Only use EV propulsion if you have a good pay-off coming up (such as cresting a small hill ahead of your current position which is followed by a decent downslope which will allow you to recharge while still gaining momentum for the following terrain).

A zero current flow glide (no assist or regen) is a lot harder to accomplish in the Insight-II than in the HCH-II but the principle and benefits are the same.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have had my I2 since last July. During my first few months of ownership, I only averaged 8 L/100 km city and 7 L/100 km highway. But then again I hadn't learnt about hyper-miling. I stumbled upon this web site. Whilst I was reading the posts on here, I learned more about my car and how do drive efficiently. I will say some posts on here are quite extreme like shutting down the ICE whilst coasting and putting the car in Neutral. That may increase your economy but it can be dangerous and possibly harm the car and void the warranty. You will find over time that as you get to know your car, you will find your hyper-miling techniques will change and you will get better economy.

I now average 5.2 - 4.7 L/100 km city and 4.7 - 4.2 L/100 km highway. I find that for my comfort those averages are acceptable. With a 40 L tank I can get 845 km to a tank. If I push it sometimes more. But I am a creature of comfort. :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Anyone else getting better mileage with the "ECON" off? Granted, it has only been 1 tankful, but I used to average 43 MID(41 actual) and now I'm getting 46 MID.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought my I2 in April 2009. I drive 112 miles per day, almost all of it on a freeway. I try to keep my speed at 62-63 mph. Recently checking the "B" tripmeter I found that over 8000 miles I averaged 49 mpg. I re-set my "A" tripmeter every time I fuel up, and I usually can average 50 mpg from fillup to fillup. The car has nearly 30,000 miles on it now and and in recent weeks I had 2 or 3 trips averaging 52 mpg. I have a one trip (56 miles) high mark of 63 mpg, with a tailwind in warm weather. The car just gets better and better. The EPA ratings of 41-43 mpg take into account that many drivers will drive at 75 or 80 miles an hour, and I can indeed get over 40 mpg at those speeds. I occasionally drive faster- sometimes I'm running a bit late, or I'm especially tired and just want to get home quickly. I try to blend in with traffic while still holding my speed and acceleration down- 62 mph is about as slow as I feel I can safely drive on the freeway without getting run over or shot at. If the speed limit were lowered agin to 55 mph I am certain this car would really perform well. There are a lot of factors affecting fuel usage but SLOWING DOWN is the biggest. If you can't slow down don't expect too much in return. It took me a few trips to drum this into my head, but it works.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I think 90% is determined by your geographical location. If you drive more or mostly hilly routes, your MPG wont be as high as driving flat routes.

Regardless of what MPG you're getting, you wouldn't be getting anywhere close with a large and or a non hybrid vehicle. If your getting 350-400 miles on 18-22 bucks of gas, your doing great. Any more is just a little icing on the cake.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Yeah.... I am happy as long as I can break 50 average. I keep up with traffic, every now and then I have some time off to tune out and go the posted limit and avoid lookiing behind me.

Although my scion xa never got less than 40 mpg dependingon how I drove it, the 09 scion xb I had never broke 30mpg. At that took every trick of the trade. Worse and many times average keeping with traffic was 19mpg. It had power, was fun to drive, but I expected more from a 2.4. I rented and dogged an 09 camry and got 32mpg. I also rented a awd matrix and got a whopping 19mpg too.

I can understand my tacoma getting 19, but these other vehicles should of gotten better.

You may want to ask you question in the first gen forim. The same techniques would apply.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My Mileage Has Changed

I got a new job must closer to home now. I used to drive around 40 to 45 miles one way to work. Now with my new job I only dirve 15.9 miles to work. On my former 45 mile jaunt to work I would average I bit over 48 mpg. Now with the location of my new job I am getting only 40 to 41 mpg. The drive to work is slightly up hill on the way to work and obviously downhill on the way from work to home. This is one of the factors for my mileage drop. The other factors are that the temperature where I live has been only 30 degrees in the morning and I have had to use the defroster pretty much the whole time I am driving in the morning to keep the windows fog free. I know that runs the a/c compressor then and affects the gas mileage. I have not changed my driving style at all or my speed. I set the cruise to 60 mph in the 55 mph zone and my econ button is on all the time. I see at times the speed going up some of the hills will drop to 57 mph and then with the cruise on it turns the speedometer blue to get back to 60. I am still very pleased with my mpg since the car I drove before was a 1998 Honda CR-V that NEVER got more than 23 mpg. My Chrysler 300 C with the 5.7 liter Hemi got better gas mileage on my commute averaging 27.4 mpg. It turns off 4 of the 8 cylinders on flat surfaces and slight hills. The commute, that I have now with the hills, the Chrysler had enough power that it pretty much kept running on 4 cylinders with the cruise set to 60 mph. I wonder if there is anything I can do to increase my 40 to 41. I am not one of those people that try to hyper-mile though. I noticed that with the defrost on it does not go into the Auto-stop mode at lights. I can turn the defrost off but my windows soon fog and I have to turn it back on. I think the car gets "foggy" because it sits in a warm garage at night and then I take it out into the cold.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks...

guys for the ideas. I think I'm spending more time worrying about getting better gas milage than I am about driving!
I've been fluctuating between 43 and 45, but haven't gotten it up over 45 yet. I'll try your ideas to see how far I can push it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Some hints. . .

Bump up your tire pressure!

If I use 42 psi front and 40 psi rear, I get a firmer ride but better mpg.

Also, realize that with colder weather, and more short distance driving you will always get worse mileage.

My morning commute temps are in the 40's and 50's now so my mileage is worse, but this last fillup I did a "terrible" 48.4 mpg. :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
The octane in gasoline has very little impact on fuel mileage, if any. You should use the recommended octane for the car.

Higher octane levels doesn't mean higher quality...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts